You Learn Something New Every Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learn new things about food and cooking often....

but ask me that question and I immediately draw a blank.

thinking thinking thinking

You said "mixed plate" means "leftovers" on the islands, K-girl. I did not know that! We ordered mixed plate at restaurants, hoping it wasn't just their leftovers! It was all good though.

You said "mixed plate" means "leftovers" on the islands, K-girl. I did not know that! We ordered mixed plate at restaurants, hoping it wasn't just their leftovers! It was all good though.

Well, dawg, "Mixed Plate" isn't necessarily leftovers, but a mish-mash of whatever, different things, in a restaurant anyways. At home, yeah, you'd just throw together whatever you had in the `fridge and call it "Mixed Plate" ... a little of this, a little of that, some steamed white rice and you're good to go!

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

Two lessons I learned here, from King Arthur Flour
1) Use a lady's shower cap to cover doughs set aside to rise
2) Spray said shower cap with vegetable spray to avoid stickage

"You learn something new every day"

I'm so not tech savvy that I hesitate to post what I recently discovered as something new to me.
Often I read something new here, like the name of a dish I've never heard of. The shortcut I learned is to highlight the name of the dish (or whatever) and right click to "search Google for highlight". I must be a total luddite! Highlight that word and see what I mean. Did everyone know this but me?

I'm so not tech savvy that I hesitate to post what I recently discovered as something new to me.
Often I read something new here, like the name of a dish I've never heard of. The shortcut I learned is to highlight the name of the dish (or whatever) and right click to "search Google for highlight". I must be a total luddite! Highlight that word and see what I mean. Did everyone know this but me?
I knew it. But, not everyone does. I have had to explain it to lots of people in various groups on the internet.

raised hand emoji.jpg
Meeeee!
See, ya learn somethin' new every day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
I did not know this either
pointing up.jpg

A wise man told me once,"... if you don't learn something new everyday,
you weren't paying attention."
...and gave me a good smack up-side my head
:LOL:

On a Mac, if you hold down the Alt key and type a "0" it gives you the degree symbol. You also get a different symbol holding down the Alt key with each key on the keyboard.

Ya learn something new everyday:

I did not know that:
if you hold down the ALT key on your computers keyboard,
and then type 248
you will get the 'degree symbol'
°
As in 350°F
HA! :LOL:
try it!

Oh wait, am I the only one who didn't know about this? :huh:

I use alt + 176 to get °.

If you are using Windows, open the character map and find the funny letter or symbol you want and select it. Many of them show the "alt code" in the bottom right hand corner.

That's how I type the Scandinavian letters: æ, ä, ø, ö, and å.

Last edited:
My iPad has funny symbols that show if cetain vowels or numbers are long-pressed. Long press 0(zero)=°, o=œôõö etc.

Last edited:
My iPad has funny symbols that show if cetain vowels or numbers are long-pressed. Long press 0(zero)=°, o=œôõö etc.

I use alt + 176 to get °.

If you are using Windows, open the character map and find the funny letter or symbol you want and select it. Many of them show the "alt code" in the bottom right hand corner.

That's how I type the Scandinavian letters: æ, ä, ø, ö, and å.

I'm so lucky - none of those work for me.. :mad:
and considering how much foodies use it .. :mad: again!

But on my cell phone the accents work on the vowels! go figure! :LOL:

Both Android and iOS give you choices of letters with diacritical marks when you "long touch" a letter. E.g, if I long touch the "a" on my Android phone, I can choose between eight a's with different "hats" and @.

long touch=
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

:LOL::LOL:

Windows10

long touch=
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

:LOL::LOL:

Windows10

Well, yeah, on a PC, that is what you would get. :LOL:

Do you have a numeric keypad? Those alt codes for special characters only work with the numeric keypad, not the number keys above the letter keys.

Can you find "Character Map"? It comes with Windog.

Once you have Character Map open, you find the character you want and highlight it. You can copy and paste it or use the alt code in the bottom right hand corner. Here I have selected the cent signt:

Attachments

• charcter map showing cent sign.jpg
    charcter map showing cent sign.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 170
Back
Top Bottom