Your Best Homemade Pizza Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And if I start having a pizza night like YT.... maybe I'll get me one of these!

Attachments

• pizza cutter fork.jpg
    pizza cutter fork.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 320
Use sliced fresh Mozzarella!!!!!

I find I really like making Boboli pizzas..

Jar of pizza sauce.. spread on the Boboli, lay on a layer of sliced fresh mozzarella, lay your meats and veggies on top(pepperoni, ham, bacon, fresh spinach, red onion, thin sliced mushrooms) sprinkle with a little fresh diced garlic and over the top, fresh grated Parmesan and Romano cheese..

Pop in a hot oven until the top is browned a bit and the cheese is melty..

Last edited:
I've never done that, but maybe this summer. Do you set it right on the grill or do you use a special pan? Give me the basics. ;)
Yep you put the dough right on the grill. Grill the first side, then flip it and add your toppings. Make sure to keep the cover closed.

imho.... you don't need fresh mozzarella. you don't need ANY mozzarella, or any cheese at all to have great pizza.

Make sure your oven is well heated before you put anything in it. any time, not just pizza. I use a 425 degree F oven for pizza. I use a cookie sheet (flat pan, no sides) and a piece of parchment, oiled. then the dough. spread as thin as possible. (Pan pizza is a whole nother story, we're talking thin crust, here.)

don't put too much on top. try just tomatoes, garlic, some herbs, salt and pepper, and great olive oil. see how good that is!

Pizza was always meant to be simple, peasant food. If you want sausage on your pizza, probably it's best to pre-cook it. Otherwise you will have to cook the pizza too long and the crust will be dried out and maybe burnt.

I learned to make Pizza when I was 10 from my girl scout leader who came from Palermo. we always use anchovies. I think that's Sicilian, but I just think it's good. :)

imho.... you don't need fresh mozzarella. you don't need ANY mozzarella, or any cheese at all to have great pizza.

Make sure your oven is well heated before you put anything in it. any time, not just pizza. I use a 425 degree F oven for pizza. I use a cookie sheet (flat pan, no sides) and a piece of parchment, oiled. then the dough. spread as thin as possible. (Pan pizza is a whole nother story, we're talking thin crust, here.)

don't put too much on top. try just tomatoes, garlic, some herbs, salt and pepper, and great olive oil. see how good that is!

Pizza was always meant to be simple, peasant food. If you want sausage on your pizza, probably it's best to pre-cook it. Otherwise you will have to cook the pizza too long and the crust will be dried out and maybe burnt.

I learned to make Pizza when I was 10 from my girl scout leader who came from Palermo. we always use anchovies. I think that's Sicilian, but I just think it's good. :)

No CHEESE, Blasphemy I say!!!!!:chef: LOL....

My favorite pizza is mushroom, hot Italian sausage & pepperoni. I always cook the sausage, set it aside then cook the mushrooms in the sausage drippings. And quickly nuke or toaster oven the pepperoni & pat dry. Then put all the toppings on your assembled pizza & bake. The mushrooms have great flavor & the sausage & pepperoni don't make the pizza greasy. Yum! :)

I agree that it's all about the dough! Sprinkle pizza peel liberally with corn meal ... build pizza right on pizza peel and shake it onto hot stone in oven (leave stone right on oven rack). I recommend preheating stone after oven has come to temp, all while you are putting pizza together.

I saw a pizza peel online (can't remember where) that had a folding handle. My wood peel is a bear to store, so I thought that was brilliant.

p.s. when I'm not home, DH likes to use Pillsbury Italian bread dough (yes, in the tube). It can be hard to find, but is much better than their pizza dough. In fact, the French bread dough makes a better crust than the pizza dough does. Before you turn your nose up, try it. Decent alternative for non-cooks!!

I agree that it's all about the dough! Sprinkle pizza peel liberally with corn meal ... build pizza right on pizza peel and shake it onto hot stone in oven (leave stone right on oven rack). I recommend preheating stone after oven has come to temp, all while you are putting pizza together.

I saw a pizza peel online (can't remember where) that had a folding handle. My wood peel is a bear to store, so I thought that was brilliant.

p.s. when I'm not home, DH likes to use Pillsbury Italian bread dough (yes, in the tube). It can be hard to find, but is much better than their pizza dough. In fact, the French bread dough makes a better crust than the pizza dough does. Before you turn your nose up, try it. Decent alternative for non-cooks!!

hey whatever works ! I would try that Pillsbury if I could find it. thanks for sharing.

photo of my flatbread

Here's my result of this morning's work. Toppings are smoked ham, mozzarella cheese, Fontinella cheese and Romano cheese and Italian spices. :chef: It was very tasty. Hubby enjoyed the bread.

stuffed crust pizza

I had some no knead dough left so I decided to make stuffed crust pizza:chef:
with the Italian sausage I ground and made this morning that has peppers and onions in it and topped with Mozzarella cheese and red peppers. I had added Italian seasonings to the dough yesterday.

Last edited:
I had some no knead dough left so I decided to make stuffed crust pizza:chef:
with the Italian sausage I ground and made this morning that has peppers and onions in it and topped with Mozzarella cheese and red peppers. I had added Italian seasonings to the dough yesterday.
I'm sold, LadyCook! Your pizza and your flatbread look divine! I've never made pizza from scratch but I will tomorrow. I sure hope it turns out half as good as yours.

:) I love a good pizza can't get one here I can make a decent dough and have tried many sauces have not been happy with store bought or home made recipes. I don't like a sweet or overly spiced sauce. Oh, and you can use an edgeless cookie sheet or an upside down cookie sheet as a peel at home.

Deffo going to try no knead dough, have a 6 yr old who loves pizza and he'd get a great kick out of helping me make it!

I found two wonderful metal pizza pans in the UK---they're the Prestige brand, have holes, sturdy, and non-stick. I love pizza stones but they are too much weight for my suitcase and we're only allowed 20kilos and ONE bag on the local airlines which we fly a lot.

Back
Top Bottom