"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Cook

Your favorite recipe site

my favorite site is allrecipes.com. there are probably dozens of sites but some of those sites have complicated recipes with exotic ingredients that i have never heard of in many instances. I have concluded that some people post recipes to try and impress people. Occasionally I will use a recipe that turns out terrible and I think that the author of the recipe maybe didn't even try it.

georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I will second all recipes! Chef John has a lot of recipes posted on the site. He has some excellent recipes!
Ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksm View Post
I will second all recipes! Chef John has a lot of recipes posted on the site. He has some excellent recipes!
I always enjoy Chef John's videos. One of my favourite homemade soups is a white bean and sausage soup recipe from him.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I always enjoy Chef John's videos. One of my favourite homemade soups is a white bean and sausage soup recipe from him.
Funny you should mention that recipe, I have it saved to my favorites. Haven’t made it yet, but now I will have to make it as soon as these temperatures cool down!
Ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksm View Post
Funny you should mention that recipe, I have it saved to my favorites. Haven’t made it yet, but now I will have to make it as soon as these temperatures cool down!
We love that soup. I make it frequently in cooler weather. I have made it with white navy beans and with black beans. I have made it with dry beans that were soaked overnight and with canned beans. Now, I usually make it with canned, white navy beans and I learned that it will make a tastier soup, if I don't rinse the canned beans. I tried that with black beans, but it made the soup look a bit muddy. Tasted great though. With some good bread, that's an entire meal. I usually use rainbow chard for the green, because it's what I tend to have on hand.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my most visited cooking sites is Alletiders Kogebog. It's where I get almost all of my Danish recipes. It's in Danish, so I'm not really recommending it. Google Translate can make some strange translations, especially with Danish recipes.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a few, but my favorite recipe site is www.seriouseats.com. They test their recipes thoroughly and explain the science of how the ingredients work together. Over the years of reading that site and Cooks Illustrated magazine, I have become more confident cook - I can either follow a recipe or riff on one or make up something on my own because I have learned so much about the science of cooking.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have over 300 recipes in the MY Recipes folder on my computer, but when I want inspiration to create a new recipe I usually just Google it and read the first 10 or so sites that pop up.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Cupcake

I love allrecipes too.

I also love WoksofLife for Asian cooking and ingredient information. It is written by a family and they are encouraging, helpful and will respond to questions in comments. Definitely worth checking out.

For "Cheat Eats" ideas, I love BudgetBytes. The creator (Beth) has really good combinations and suggestions for good meals that won't break the bank!

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

New York Times
Epicurious
Serious Eats
Old 07-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

I also love WoksofLife for Asian cooking and ingredient information. It is written by a family and they are encouraging, helpful and will respond to questions in comments. Definitely worth checking out.
Excellent site.

Ross
Old 07-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #12
Head Chef

I don't have a favorite recipe aggregator website.

In my browser's "Cook" bookmark folder there are thousands of links. Also subfolders for hundreds of websites and YouTube Channel sources like Kenji, Helen Rennie, etc; each containing scores or hundreds of links to topics or recipes.

So I plan to fix all that with an index in either Google Sheets or Google Docs that organizes the whole mess. Trouble is, that plan is buried in a to-do list that is just as hopelessly overwhelmed, if not more so.

"Recipes don’t have to be followed EXACTLY and creative diversions can taste great! But too much diversion and you have ice cream in your broccoli." Mike Israetel
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

+1 for www.seriouseats.com , and in the same group, www.thespruceeats.com
Both of these have not only recipes, that you know have been thoroughly tested, but a lot of information on ingredients and methods. ATK and Milk Street are good, too, but you have to be a member. Many sites have recipes that you can tell have simply not been tested.

These sites have a good number of ethnic recipes, but I have a few sites I go to for specific cuisines. Another vote here for www.woksoflife.com for Chinese, and Rick Bayless is the best for Mexican - https://www.rickbayless.com/recipes-...-rick-bayless/ though I will say some aren't as good as the original recipes in his books - I think they were simplified for the general public. Another authentic Mexican site is https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/recipes/
And for Indian recipes there are a few good sites I've found, including:
www.vegrecipesofindia.com , and
www.hebbarskitchen.com
https://m.tarladalal.com/recipes-for...outh-indian-44
www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Ingredients.aspx
I know these sites use authentic ingredients, since they are printed in Hindi and Gujarati!

I haven't been able to find really good sites for SE Asian cuisines, but still looking! Not like I don't have enough books.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Another vote for Serious Eats. Well researched recipes. I also like The Spruce Eats.

Often, I just see recipes that look/sound good then I copy them and make adjustments if necessary.

If I want a recipe for a specific dish, I'll often select several versions and compare them.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Usually do a search and skim through and compare a bunch until I see what looks promising. That being said, The Spruce Eats and Food 52 seem to come up quite a bit.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a few, but my favorite recipe site is www.seriouseats.com. They test their recipes thoroughly and explain the science of how the ingredients work together.
I completely agree, serious eats and the original team is my go-to website. They were purchased recently, some of the recipes have disappeared, but it's the still, imo, the best. I trust Kenji, Stella, and the rest of the team.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #17
Certified/Certifiable

My favorite site for recipes, other than my imagination, and stored recipes, is DiscussCooking.com. After that, I like ATK, Chef John, and Shotgun Red's videos are entertaining, and usually, pretty good recipes.

There are some cooks on DC that I would say know as much about cooking as anyone. Together, the combined knowledge on this site is nothing short of amazing. Yes, we do get the occasional poster that thinks they know more than they really do. But that's true of so many cooking bloggers as well.]

Those cooks I really admire on DC, well, you know who you are.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
Cook

Another site I rely on, at least in bread-making season which is def. not during this unnaturally hot weather here, is The Fresh Load - https://www.thefreshloaf.com/
These bakers truly love bread in all its forms, there's so much valuable information on this site.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer57 View Post
Another site I rely on, at least in bread-making season which is def. not during this unnaturally hot weather here, is The Fresh Load - https://www.thefreshloaf.com/
These bakers truly love bread in all its forms, there's so much valuable information on this site.
I had totally forgotten about that one! And because I don't bake much, either, during this horribly hot weather, but I do watch it during cool weather, like you. These people on that site are even more obsessed with bread baking than me!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Sunset Magazine used to have fantastic under seven item recipes. "To keep male readers interest."
It's where I picked up the crock pot ribs recipe. Didn't want a brazed rib, and the crock pot method avoided that.

Now it's Chef John and Grillin' Wit AB on YouTube.
Lee Vining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe