"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #41
Executive Chef

There is no way I could survive with just 5 spices! Or just 5 herbs! At one time I had 21 fresh herbs in the garden, and that's not even including the dried ones. And an Indian friend of mine told me that she doesn't have any friends that have as many spices as I have, but I told her that's because I am always trying foods from all the areas, and they are making mostly the food from their own cuisine.

While sometimes a recipe will call for a dozen or so spices, and some of those might be common spices, like whole cloves, cumin, and other things used in many cuisines, to make it easy to measure these things out, I made some boxes of the spices I use in the Indian food, one of the spices I use the most, another that I keep larger jars of, another even larger jars of, like cumin and coriander. And one more box for spice mixes.
Self explanatory by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Untitled by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Untitled by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The various spice mixes by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also have over 30 varieties of dried peppers, mostly for Mexican, but the Thai peppers I use the most, in many types of foods. Plus the two drawers of spices, for everyday foods - easier to look down on the jars, than to find them in a cupboard, plus, they wouldn't fit.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #42
Head Chef

Magic, Dave!
That´s more or less how I work. Loads of different spices, lots of cooking options.
karadekoolaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Same, in addition, I have a tub of spices I use primarily for pickling. I keep it in the basement, but now that the cukes are just about to be harvested, I bring the tub upstairs, and it never quite makes it tin the cupboard, as Im picking multiple times a week.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:56 PM   #44
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Same, in addition, I have a tub of spices I use primarily for pickling. I keep it in the basement, but now that the cukes are just about to be harvested, I bring the tub upstairs, and it never quite makes it tin the cupboard, as Im picking multiple times a week.
Pickling spices are also great for making you own corned beef, and pastrami.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:48 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Here's how I keep my other spices and herbs - in 2 drawers, where it is easier to look down on them, than up in cupboards, like I remember my Mom doing, and trying to find things! I keep a few large jars up in the cupboards, like caraway, and other things I use a lot in baking.
My main spice drawer in the kitchen. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The second spice drawer in the kitchen. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Early on I started using the highlighters, so I could locate the different spices easier - orange for sweet spices, yellow for savory, and green for herbs. You can see I don't have many dried herbs!

Tags
pepper, salt, spice, spices