"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Youtube Cooking

Hi im new here and new to cooking. My name is Ant, and I am a terrible cook. I cant even get eggs right most of the time. Most of the time i eat fast food like McDonalds, KFC, Dominoes, Panda express, local mexican restaurants ect. You guys are probably getting slammed by guys like me who dont want to go out anymore for fear of corona. But i'm really tired of eggs and baloney sandwiches lol. So i was wondering if you guys new of a good youtube channel for cooking? I would like recipes that are simple yet tasty. Thanks

Antpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I believe a good place to look is Christina Lane's "Dessert for Two" site..
https://www.dessertfortwo.com/

She has many simple savory dishes to go along with her desserts AND she has a You Tube channel, accessible through her web site..

Good luck finding what will work for you..

Ross

Old 04-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I think the best way to learn how to cook is to start by learning the basic techniques. "Ruhlman's Twenty" by Michael Ruhlman does that perfectly. He breaks down cooking into 20 techniques and describes each one, then presents recipes that use the techniques. Along the way, he gives tips and ideas on how to make little changes to a recipe, so you have variety.

You can read a preview of it here. It's available used in several places online (I bought a used version) for less than $10.
https://books.google.com/books/about...kp_read_button

For videos, if you can find Rachael Ray's old show "30-Minute Meals," she did a great job of teaching how to make simple dishes that worked well together.

And of course, ask us anything. Someone will have an answer. Sometimes many someones
Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Master Chef

If you can read and you know how to follow directions, you can cook. I suggest picking up a copy of Fanny Farmer's 1896 Boston Cooking School Cook Book. It has recipes for literally everything from soup to nuts, they have been around for over a hundred years, and are all tried and true. For a very long time (I'm talking pre-internet) it was the only cookbook that I owned, and anything I could possibly think to make was in there.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
If you can read and you know how to follow directions, you can cook. I suggest picking up a copy of Fanny Farmer's 1896 Boston Cooking School Cook Book. It has recipes for literally everything from soup to nuts, they have been around for over a hundred years, and are all tried and true. For a very long time (I'm talking pre-internet) it was the only cookbook that I owned, and anything I could possibly think to make was in there.
This is probably available at very low cost somewhere, since it's out of copyright.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Here are the ones I enjoy:
Adam Ragusea
ATK
BarTalk&Cocktails
Bon Appétit
Food Wishes
Helen Rennie
Laura in the Kitchen
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is probably available at very low cost somewhere, since it's out of copyright.
Here's a link to download a free PDF of the Fanny Farmer cookbook:

https://all-med.net/pdf/fannie-farmer-1896-cook-book/
Old 04-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My all time favorite is Chef John with Food Wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRI...b9RiXc9btSTQNw

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Antpage
I think we are soulmates.Three years ago I couldn't boil water without burning the pot. Now I mainly cook rice, perogies ( made from a box ) hamburg, cooked ham and other easy things. I have been a member for 3 hours and have already learned some cooking tricks.
concreteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Youtube Cooking

I search a recipe topic and skim through results. These are not so much training as recipe oriented. A few channels I keep going back to though include

Regular home cooking:
Food wishes chef John
Sam the cooking guy
Not another cooking show
Chef Billy Parisi
Akis Petretziki
OsaraRecipes
Bobby FlavCity
French Cooking Academy
Joshua Weissman
Allthingsbbq

Baking:
Preppy kitchen
Oh yum with Anna Olson
Bruno Albouze
Kitchen Conundrums

I guess cooking review section
Adam Ragusea

That’s a good head start and should keep u busy for the first year. I also use a lot of one offs especially for particular ethnic dishes. Like yourself I started cooking a little over a year ago and those have kept me busy and are current.
GimmeAnother1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I agree w GimmeAnother1, Sam the cooking guy is good. Food Wishes I watch also, thats good stuff. Billy flav is good. All things bbq imo use and promote their seasonings far too much.

Rick Bayless puts out some good vids too.

If you want to learn how to cook, watching people on you tube making dishes is the long road. If you learn the basics of cooking, it will open a much wider door of cooking to you. The second book I listed here, from Culinary Institute is basic standard skills. These books have had a good influence on my cooking.

Julia Child's book "The Way To Cook".

Culinary Institute of America, "The New Professional Chef".

Better Homes and Gardens, "New Cook Book".
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Youtube Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I agree w GimmeAnother1, Sam the cooking guy is good. Food Wishes I watch also, thats good stuff. Billy flav is good. All things bbq imo use and promote their seasonings far too much.

Rick Bayless puts out some good vids too.

If you want to learn how to cook, watching people on you tube making dishes is the long road. If you learn the basics of cooking, it will open a much wider door of cooking to you. The second book I listed here, from Culinary Institute is basic standard skills. These books have had a good influence on my cooking.

Julia Child's book "The Way To Cook".

Culinary Institute of America, "The New Professional Chef".

Better Homes and Gardens, "New Cook Book".

I don’t know about Julia Child. I trust you Chief though so maybe her book was ghost written and excellent. I recently started watching her old tv shows and she’s a wild one. Crazy what she got away with back then lol. I’m either lmfao or cringing all the way through each episode. And man did she take liberties with sizing/weight scales, etc.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I watched a lot of her shows when I was a kid.

It wasn't only her getting away with crazy stuff back then. Watch any of the old cooking shows. Sanitation wasn't the same thing.
strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeAnother1 View Post
I don’t know about Julia Child. I trust you Chief though so maybe her book was ghost written and excellent. I recently started watching her old tv shows and she’s a wild one. Crazy what she got away with back then lol. I’m either lmfao or cringing all the way through each episode. And man did she take liberties with sizing/weight scales, etc.
She wrote it herself. Have you ever seen the movie "Julie/Julia"? You might enjoy it, and you would definitely see a different side of her.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

The Jacques Pépin Foundation has some great videos and is also IMO a great cause.

https://jp.foundation/video/

If you are on FB you can friend Jacque Pepin and The Jaque Pepin Foundation. The FB updates include some of his short videos explaining techniques, recipes, etc...
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
She wrote it herself. Have you ever seen the movie "Julie/Julia"? You might enjoy it, and you would definitely see a different side of her.

Please tell me she was not multiple personality disorder too....I’m almost afraid to ask who ‘Julie’ was... :)

I mean it would be explain a lot though. :)

Will check the move out thanks. I just hate ‘movies’ or ‘directed’ media. It’s always scripted and written with a purpose/agenda. I kind of stumbled upon cooking to get away from all that.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Gimmie, I'm another who really enjoyed the fun movie. You may or may not like it, but as far as I'm concerned, there was no "agenda" other than lighthearted entertainment.
Here's a trailer to check it out.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeAnother1 View Post
Please tell me she was not multiple personality disorder too....I’m almost afraid to ask who ‘Julie’ was... :)

I mean it would be explain a lot though. :)

Will check the move out thanks. I just hate ‘movies’ or ‘directed’ media. It’s always scripted and written with a purpose/agenda. I kind of stumbled upon cooking to get away from all that.
The movie alternates between Julia's and her husband's experiences in France, where she learned to cook and started writing the book, and the "modern-day" (it came out a long time ago) Julie, who decides to cook every recipe in Julia's cookbook and blog about it.

Everything everyone ever says or does is with a purpose or agenda in mind, no? There are always reasons for why people do and say things. It doesn't inherently mean there's something negative about it.

I think the purpose of this movie is to give people more information about Julia's background and how the book came about in an entertaining way. Btw, Meryl Streep plays Julia. She's wonderful, as usual.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Good idea to grab the trailer, Kayelle!

Btw, please empty your mailbox
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

The stay at home chef is a pretty good one and so is Natashias cooking. They both make pretty amazing recipes.

IloveBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking