A labour saving cooking apple method.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
Right, I’m an idle cook blessed with a garden either side of me with superb cooking apples and this year it’s the best crop I have seen in many years. There is one problem which is the time cost effective method of cooking them. Yesterday I cut them into quarters, got rid of any insect damage, pealed the quarters covered them with water, bought them to the boil reducing it to a simmer until they had all disintegrated into a mush which my wife then fed through a sieve.
My thought is that there just has to be a better way, so, what about just cutting them into quarters, getting rid of any insect damage and then bunging into a saucepan, bringing them to a boil then a simmer and then giving them to my wife to put through a sieve?
If anyone has a better idea please tell me because there are hundred weights of cookning apples waiting to be scrumped, cooked and frozen to have over the next few months with icecream.

Why don't you give the job of quartering, debugging, putting on stove to your wife?

Would save you a lot of labour!

:LOL: me
:mad: your wife
:bangin: you and your wife IF you really do suggest it.

Are you quartering and then peeling? Isn't it harder to peel the smaller quarters than peeling the whole apple first? I usually core the apple, peel it, then cut it up.

Just a thought.

Can you get one of these where you are? In one motion, it cores apples and cuts them into eight wedges. I don't peel them at all.

You don't need any water to cook apples. They give off a lot of liquid and will cook in that in 15-20 minutes. When you simmer them in a lot of water and then drain it, you're losing a lot of flavor and nutrition down the sink. Farberware%2BProfessional%2BApple%2BWedger.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need to peel them. Just do it the way you are cooking them. Cook to a mush and send all through the sieve. I don't even core apples. The seed coats are all that is left in the sieve when I prepare apple sauce.

To peel or not to peel?

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

forums
Many thanks for all of the advice. I've ordered a cutter and will take note of the cooking advice. Mnay thanks.

have you looked at using a food mill?

we used to make _tons_ of apple 'stuff' - no peel, cut into quarters, cook down, run through the food mill. (there's a technique to it... crank clockwise until clogged, counter-clockwise to scrape the screen clean....)

have you looked at using a food mill?

we used to make _tons_ of apple 'stuff' - no peel, cut into quarters, cook down, run through the food mill. (there's a technique to it... crank clockwise until clogged, counter-clockwise to scrape the screen clean....)

That's what I was going to suggest.

Also, you don't need to peel them if you are making apple juice or apple jelly (not jam). Just put the cooked apple quarters through a cloth and retrieve the liquid. When it's for apple jelly, the pectin from the skin is useful.

Has anyone else on the forum used a Food Mill or would I be better off with a sieve and if so what sort of sieve?

Yes, I have. I think a food mill would work better and easier than a sieve. dcSaute describes using one for apples in post #8.

Yes, I have. I think a food mill would work better and easier than a sieve. dcSaute describes using one for apples in post #8.

+1

I wash, half or quarter then pressure cook. When done it goes into food mill. Removes everything. No peeling or coring needed.

I don't have the desire or the space for another big gadget like that. What I'm doing works for me.

I wouldn't go out and buy one just for apples. I happen to have one from when I used it for other stuff too, like making tomato ketchup. I wouldn't have bought it for making very smooth mashed potatoes, but, since I have it, I use it for that once in a while.

I don't have the desire or the space for another big gadget like that. What I'm doing works for me.

Mine is aluminum from the 1960’s no interchangeable plates. Just throw everything in and turn. My mom gave it to me when I got my own place so I could make tomato sauce.

Back
Top Bottom