"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Food and Cooking Gear Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Not at Arby's. The fish is going to be same weather you pick it up as a regular fish sandwich with tarter sauce on the regular bun, Kings Hawaiian bun with the tarter sauce, or the regular bun with the Cajun sauce.
Got it
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Of all the fast food joints serving a fish sandwich, McDonalds is the clear winner with me. It's simply made. All the other joint's fish sandwiches just don't make it with me. I've not tried Chick-fil-a's fish sandwich yet. Burger King and Jack in the Box and Carls Jr. fish sandwiches are kinda awful compared to McDonalds fish sandwich. I'm bummed that McDonalds stopped the Friday Fish Sandwhich discount at most locations near me.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Of all the fast food joints serving a fish sandwich, McDonalds is the clear winner with me. It's simply made. All the other joint's fish sandwiches just don't make it with me. I've not tried Chick-fil-a's fish sandwich yet. Burger King and Jack in the Box and Carls Jr. fish sandwiches are kinda awful compared to McDonalds fish sandwich. I'm bummed that McDonalds stopped the Friday Fish Sandwhich discount at most locations near me.
I've always loved the Filet O' Fish. Without cheese. I don't think cheese belongs on a fish sandwich. But that's just me.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Of all the fast food joints serving a fish sandwich, McDonalds is the clear winner with me. It's simply made. All the other joint's fish sandwiches just don't make it with me. I've not tried Chick-fil-a's fish sandwich yet. Burger King and Jack in the Box and Carls Jr. fish sandwiches are kinda awful compared to McDonalds fish sandwich. I'm bummed that McDonalds stopped the Friday Fish Sandwhich discount at most locations near me.
During Lent, Wendy's has a Pacific Cod Filet sandwich that is quite tasty. Much better than MickyD's, IMO.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
During Lent, Wendy's has a Pacific Cod Filet sandwich that is quite tasty. Much better than MickyD's, IMO.

CD
I've had that one and it's pretty darn tasty.

I think the Filet O' Fish at McDonald's (which is something I haven't had in a couple of years now) is a 'childhood' taste for me. To this day, I also love their plain hamburgers.

Fast food is a rare treat, but, about once a year, I get the infamous "Big Mac Attack" and have to go get one.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
I always ask what kind of fish are they serving and its origin. I am very suspicious of Tilapia. A lot of it comes from Vietnam, Cambodia and other Asian markets. I read an article many moons ago about the Asian fish industry. There were pictures of the harbors where Tilapia is maintained in nets. The harbor was covered in trash. Cambodia harbor was the worst. The article stated that the government had been trying to get the harbor cleaned up. To date (of the article) they were having very little success.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:17 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I always ask what kind of fish are they serving and its origin. I am very suspicious of Tilapia. A lot of it comes from Vietnam, Cambodia and other Asian markets. I read an article many moons ago about the Asian fish industry. There were pictures of the harbors where Tilapia is maintained in nets. The harbor was covered in trash. Cambodia harbor was the worst. The article stated that the government had been trying to get the harbor cleaned up. To date (of the article) they were having very little success.
We are lucky that fish and other seafood in a grocery store has to be labeled with it's country of origin. But, restaurants and fast food joints don't have to tell us where their fish comes from.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #28
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,667
Here’s a video I found on YouTube about Mickey D’s fillet o’ fish. It’s a bit long (about 10 minutes), but I found it interesting.

I like the fillet o’ fish the same way I like Arby’s beef and cheddar. Until I order one. Then I’m over it for about half a year. The tartar sauce is cloying, and the fish is never crunchy, probably because it’s been sitting under a heat lamp wrapped in paper.
__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I always ask what kind of fish are they serving and its origin. I am very suspicious of Tilapia. A lot of it comes from Vietnam, Cambodia and other Asian markets. I read an article many moons ago about the Asian fish industry. There were pictures of the harbors where Tilapia is maintained in nets. The harbor was covered in trash. Cambodia harbor was the worst. The article stated that the government had been trying to get the harbor cleaned up. To date (of the article) they were having very little success.
That's outdated. Tilapia production has improved a lot since many moons ago. It's raised in more locations around the world now, and much of it is classified as a Best Choice by Seafood Watch. Using the effluent as agricultural fertilizer is an environmentally friendly way to manage this fishery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190103-134431.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	32867
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
We are lucky that fish and other seafood in a grocery store has to be labeled with it's country of origin. But, restaurants and fast food joints don't have to tell us where their fish comes from.

CD
There is often detailed information on their websites, though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190103-135332.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	32868
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cajun, fish

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.