Classic Entertainment Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
It seems silly to be writing about crackers. I mean, they’re crackers, not ever the main thing, and generally interchangeable. But I really fell in love with these.

It’s a supermarket brand, so you’ll only find them in supermarkets owned by Kroger’s. In our neck of the woods, it’s Smith’s. The crackers are titled Private Selection Classic Entertainment Crackers.

These crackers are basically Ritz crackers. They’re a bit crunchier, and a bit less buttery. The reason that I like them so much, though, is that they’re about a third bigger in circumference than Ritz. It’s the crackers’ size - it makes them perfect for double or even triple dipping (only if you’re eating alone, of course), spreads that have more texture than cream cheese, and they’re the perfect base for little hors d’oeuvre pizzas or other canapés with melted cheese and toppings. They’re not over-salted, and while they’re not without taste, the flavor certainly won’t overwhelm or overtake the toppings you load them with.

And they’re inexpensive. Need I say more?

C5C0D145-1666-4018-AE27-D0AD1C96044A.jpg

I'm ALWAYS looking for crackers that don't overwhelm. Most are too salty or some other disgusting flavour added. To me a cracker is just the vehicle that brings the goodies to your mouth without drowning all the laboured (well, sometimes, sort of) work you put into the topping. :LOL:

Thanks Joel, I will keep an eye out for them to see if they are available in Canada.

Kroger has some good private brand products. I buy them regularly.

One other cracker that I like a lot is Triscuit "Touch of Salt" crackers. I have to be careful with salt, due to BP issues, but more than that, I don't like foods that are over salted. I am a big believer in adding salt to food "to taste," as opposed to using the amount of salt a recipe says to use.

I also like the texture of Triscuit crackers. They can handle a pretty strong cheese, or a thick spread. I have a friend in Alaska who sends me good smoked salmon, which is great mixed with cream cheese, and spread on a cracker. I always go with the "touch of salt" Triscuit.

CD

It seems silly to be writing about crackers. I mean, they’re crackers, not ever the main thing, and generally interchangeable. But I really fell in love with these.

It’s a supermarket brand, so you’ll only find them in supermarkets owned by Kroger’s. In our neck of the woods, it’s Smith’s. The crackers are titled Private Selection Classic Entertainment Crackers.

These crackers are basically Ritz crackers. They’re a bit crunchier, and a bit less buttery. The reason that I like them so much, though, is that they’re about a third bigger in circumference than Ritz. It’s the crackers’ size - it makes them perfect for double or even triple dipping (only if you’re eating alone, of course), spreads that have more texture than cream cheese, and they’re the perfect base for little hors d’oeuvre pizzas or other canapés with melted cheese and toppings. They’re not over-salted, and while they’re not without taste, the flavor certainly won’t overwhelm or overtake the toppings you load them with.

And they’re inexpensive. Need I say more?

View attachment 30626
Oops, I'm the silly one! For some idiot reason I thought you were talking about Christmas crackers and wondered why in July!

This was compounded by your mention of the name "Smith". The inventor of Christmas crackers was one Tom Smith, an English entrepreneur, in the 19th century. The company still supplies the Queen with them.

Not sure if you have this type of crackers or whether they are just a British and Commonwealth idiosyncracy.

I think I need to go back to bed.

Back
Top Bottom