Has anyone ever had these McDonald's items?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.

I remember the fried pies, but not the other items. I never heard of the McLobster... maybe Rocklobster knows of them, and maybe K-girl can clue me in on the pineapple "burger." :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQax9W9G2eI

BTW, the fried apple pies were definitely better than the baked ones they sell today.

CD

That’s a long video!

1. Breaded onion rings don’t present you with the problem of the onion slithering out whole when you bite it. Only battered onion rings do.
2. The McLobster was also sold in some of the New England states, sometime between 2000 and 2006. I was a flight attendant and had one at an airport McDonald’s. It wasn’t bad at all; in fact I hoped for a stopover at that airport again so I could have another one.
3. I remember those steak sandwiches, too. Also not bad; certainly better than those revolting McRib thingies!

Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!

Okay, so, the Fried Apple Pies are still available in Hawaii, YUM! Have those all the time when we're home ... McHula Burgers I do not remember coming to Hawaii... and the McLobster I do remember seeing TV commercials for when on the Mainland, but I don't recall them coming to Hawaii... WAY too expensive to try to serve there.
I'm pretty sure that Hawaii was the last State in the Union to get a McDonald's franchise, owned by Maurice "Sully" Sullivan who also owned Foodland, my FAVORITE supermarket chain in Hawaii!!! AND got Spam, along with what you call Ramen introduced to McD's .... ONO!!!
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!

The McSPAM lunch plate??? :huh:

CD

I put this here because it is kind of a request for food reviews.

Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a thick desert than a drink. :(

Last edited:
Anyone remember shakes way back that you could buy at McDonalds and other drive thrus that quenched your thirst nicely when having their burgers and fries? Nowadays, shakes at all fast food drive-thrus are more a desert than a drink. :(

They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it. :LOL:

CD

They were always a desert to me. Liberty Burger in the DFW area (one too close to me) makes Adult Shakes, that are amazing. They make one called The Lebowski that is really good. Guess what is in it. :LOL:

CD

Kahula and half and half cream? That's a bar drink.

Last edited:
Spam AND ramen? Together? As in “Spam ramen?” Not really odd, if one thinks about it. Ramen is usually topped with char siu pork. But putting a “Mc” in front of is just, well, off-putting!

This is very tasty indeed!
https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/food/spam-saimin/
Our Saimin can come fully loaded or simple with very few goodies in it. We like ours with as many ad-ins as I have available.
006.jpg

007.jpg

Our Saimin is different from Ramen noodles, their fat and a bit of a chew to them, very satisfying ... dang it NOW I want Saimin!
If I don't have any Char Siu to put in the bowl, then it's Spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4dFADvbjX8

Had a milkshake that was actually a milkshake, there, way way back.
Sign read: "Over 20 million burgers sold".
What's it now? "Over 100 billion sold" ? The shakes are too thick now.

Last edited:
Great video, thanks Casey.

I completely agree about the onion nuggets. Unless you have sharp teeth, rings make onion strings, leaving the breading.

This is very tasty indeed!
https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/food/spam-saimin/
Our Saimin can come fully loaded or simple with very few goodies in it. We like ours with as many ad-ins as I have available.
View attachment 31428

View attachment 31429

Our Saimin is different from Ramen noodles, their fat and a bit of a chew to them, very satisfying ... dang it NOW I want Saimin!
If I don't have any Char Siu to put in the bowl, then it's Spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4dFADvbjX8
Well, now I know what to do with that can of Spam that I bought on a whim that’s been sitting in my cupboard for probably six months. Thanks, Kgirl!

Of course it is. WWII limited the import of meat from the mainland. And Spam was served to our servicemen. Any leftover, the natives got and loved it.

I don't understand why some folks constantly knock a food that fed hungry American citizens in a time of need. And I am referring to the Hawaiians who were very happy to have it.

Of course it is. WWII limited the import of meat from the mainland. And Spam was served to our servicemen. Any leftover, the natives got and loved it.

I don't understand why some folks constantly knock a food that fed hungry American citizens in a time of need. And I am referring to the Hawaiians who were very happy to have it.

Addie, its was really all of those canned meats that we got and that was it for meat, really. Unless you had the ways and means to produce your own.
For instance:
Vienna Sausage
Conned Beef
Chipped Beef
those nasty "whole canned hams"-my mother bought that alot of those
oh yeah, whole canned chickens-she loved that one too

I do mostly like canned meats, other than the spread types, but so high in sodium! A little goes a long way, maybe that's why we used so much of it back when... mix up some Spam and veg in a stir fry, so many other appilcations!

It came across "the pond" too. Not sure if it was part of "Lend-Lease", courtesy of Mr Roosevelt, or if we'd had it before the war. Quite popular (and still is, I think) over here both in war and in peace.

My mother was rather fond of it but Dad and I weren't keen. I think Dad had had too much of it while in the army and, later, after it was a choice not a necessity, I couldn't stand the texture. Right up to Mum becoming infirm she always had a tin of Spam in the cupboard "for emergencies". ("Emergencies" covered all situations from an unexpected visitor on laundry day to a Martian invasion.)

Back
Top Bottom