Plastic Trash Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
Anyone have a trick to get them open?

The older I get the less patience I have with dealing with things I think should be simple. :blush:

Most of the time I don't have a problem but there are times I think they welded the halves together and my short temper makes me say nasty words. :(

Is hate too strong a word for modern packaging? ;)

Thank you very much for the SOB and all the copycats who tainted Tylenol. :bash:

Or is age my problem? :rolleyes:

I'm willing to accept I'm just an old fart behind the times. :eek:

Thank you Aunt Bea.

But I live in the Stone Age (Dial Up) and only got a "An error occurred. Please try again later." with your links.

Bet they might solve my peeve but us dinosaurs have to deal with it.

Why must a plastic bag present difficulties opening it? :mad:

And I have used them as a poncho too. They work for that rather well. ;)

Roadfix, I don't use many paper plates but I'll bet you're right. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's time to get out the tinfoil to make hats? :LOL:

Zagut, basically the first video shows the guy rubbing the bag between his palms to "rough it up" then you can open it. The other shows a guy opening a large black trash bag by stepping on the seam and pulling it up and out. Then he traps air in the bag and runs the air to the bottom like squeezing a tube of paste to get it open. Not sure which bags you use but either method might work for you.

I changed to buy the bags with the drawstrings. Really makes a difference. Easy open and close. Sure they cost a bit more but to preserve my sanity it is a small price to pay.

We use about one 13-gallon plastic trash bag a week. They are in a roll in the dispenser-type box. This manner of packaging makes them difficult to open but, as noted in one of the videos, I usually just rub the bag between my palms and I have no trouble getting it open. I'm still too cheap to buy the drawstring version. Maybe when the arthritis gets too bad in my hands I'll give in.

I have trouble separating paper plates.

Lol, so true. I'm a huge fan of 8" paper plates for everything from cutting up vegetables to using them as a plate for lunch.
I'm stoked when I get a batch of 100-300 and don't have to split each one apart. I've gotten down the cost to 3 cents a plate by buying in bulk. I try and use them conservatively of course.

It's probably the sheer weight of a ton of them being stacked and stored that causes them to have to be pried apart one by one. When shopping for them, I tear open the bag just enough to determine if the entire stack has been fused together.

Last edited:
Similar to the problems with opening those filmy plastic bags on a roll at the supermarket in the produce section.

Jabbur, Thanks for the synopsis of the videos. :bounce:

I've tried many ways to rough up the edge. (Sand paper included)

No success on some bags.

I've attempted to introduce air into the bag but if you can't find a seam to begin with you're out of luck.

Shoot if I could get air in the darned thing I could open it. :LOL:

Andy, Now why did you remind me about those produce bags. :bangin:

I shared a good rant with a nice lady in the grocery store one day about them.

I'm sure glad I don't use paper plates if they exhibit the same behavior. The men in white coats would surely be after me then. :eek:

I have always rubbed it in order for it to open. Now I just buy the ones with the red ties in them. So much easier on the hands. :angel:

Addie, I've rubbed and rubbed on some bags and the Jennie just won't come out of the bottle. :mad:

Perhaps I need Barbra Eden to assist me.

Jabbur, Thanks for the synopsis of the videos. :bounce:

I've tried many ways to rough up the edge. (Sand paper included)

No success on some bags.

I've attempted to introduce air into the bag but if you can't find a seam to begin with you're out of luck.

Shoot if I could get air in the darned thing I could open it. :LOL:

Andy, Now why did you remind me about those produce bags. :bangin:

I shared a good rant with a nice lady in the grocery store one day about them.

I'm sure glad I don't use paper plates if they exhibit the same behavior. The men in white coats would surely be after me then. :eek:

Just like the western poker dealer, I wet my fingers and move them in opposite directions, breaking the edge of the mouth of the bag. I then shake a little and very soon it fills with enough air that one or two big shakes fills it completely ready to line the trash can.
You also have to hold your tongue properly and learn to curse in Scottish Gaelic!

Last edited:
You also have to hold your tongue properly and learn to curse in Scottish Gaelic!

How you're talking. :bounce:

This is the kind of thing that will assist me in my futile attempt at defeating modern technology. :mrgreen:

But I can't help but believe there is some SOB at the factory who is chuckling about the fact that those simple minded folks won't be able to get the darned things open no matter how hard they try. ;)

Similar to the problems with opening those filmy plastic bags on a roll at the supermarket in the produce section.

Same solution. Rough it up and it will pull apart with no problem. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with plastic bags or paper plates? I don't mean to sound smug, and I used to have the same problem as the rest of you. I guess I just found the solution earlier than the rest of you.

Paper plates? I have never bought the least expensive ones. I try to go a step above them. So I don't have a problem. And I buy them for eating. Along with food chores in the kitchen.

One time I had pulled off about three bags for produce. I only needed one. Or so I thought. I roughed one up and what I didn't realize, I had taken the last three bags on the roll. A woman asked me for one of my extras. I roughed it up for her and then handed it to her. She was able to get it open right away, no fuss. I could tell by the look on her face, she thought she had gotten a magic bag! :angel:

Oh man, I hate that. I spend more time rubbing, scrubbing, whatever, trying to make those things separate at the top. grrr

Addie please send me any "Magic Bags" you find.

My sanity will thank you. ;)

Not to mention all those within earshot of my cursing when I encounter the "difficult" ones. :LOL:

...Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with plastic bags or paper plates?...

My comment was that the grocery bags have the same problem as the trash bags.

I don't buy that type of trash bag and I do fine with the grocery bags. The grocery bags vary in difficulty because of manufacturing differences. I just wet two fingers for traction and they open just fine.

We don't buy those cheapo paper plates.

Back
Top Bottom