Review: The Impossible Burger...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I've been wanting to try one of these since I first heard of them. They are now available in my area.

I went to Liberty Burger, next to the Dallas Cowboy's new Headquarters. The place was new, and I went at 2PM, so it was pretty empty. I was by myself, so I ate at the bar. The bartender, Richard, took good care of me. I had one of their half-dozen or so local craft beers they keep on tap, and he gave me a free sample of one of their "Adult Milkshakes." Both were excellent.

Now, on to the main event... The Give Back Burger, which is made with an Impossible Burger meatless burger patty. Mine had pepper-jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and mayo. All on a gluten-free bun that was actually pretty good.

First bite... tastes like a good beef burger. They only serve it medium well or well done, to make the texture work. And, it worked. Richard told me that anything less cooked than medium well has a mushy texture, so they won't serve it that way.

Honestly, if I did not know in advance that I was eating a meatless burger, I wouldn't have guessed. Since I did know in advance, I was looking for something wrong. But, I really couldn't find anything significant.

The burger left kind of a fishy scent on my hands. I'm not sure if that was the burger patty, the bun, or something else.

So, I have to give this two thumbs up! It wasn't just a good meatless burger, but a good burger, period. Of course, a place that specializes in burgers, like Liberty Burger, probably knows how to cook the Impossible Burger patty just right.

CD

Attachments

• Impossible001.jpg
    Impossible001.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I also just recently tried the Impossible burger.
Being a vegetarian, I've tried just about every vegetarian burger there is, and I must say, I was impressed.
Sure, its been 30 + years since I've had the real thing, but I had to do a few double takes, cause it really resembled the real thing very well.
I've also trie the Beyond Meat burgers, which also is very good.
They come in two varieties though. The refrigerated and the frozen. even though they are supposed to be the same, the refrigerated is much better ( just a shorter shelf life).

This evening, I will be trying meatballs made from " Impossible burger" at a restaurant.
Im looking forward to it.

I believe that my initial skepticism would be set aside and I'd try this, based upon your experience...

Ross

It is definitely worth trying. I did it purely out of curiosity. I'm not giving up beef burgers, unless someday I have to.

CD

Products like this make it much easier to be vegetarian/ vegan these days.
30 years ago was a real treat.
That being said, the limitations I faced in the past are what inspired me to enjoy cooking as much as I do now because I was in a situation where the only way to get something halfway decent to eat was to make it yourself.

It is definitely worth trying. I did it purely out of curiosity. I'm not giving up beef burgers, unless someday I have to.

CD

I found that a Springfield, Mo restaurant, The Grotto", is known for their Impossible Burger.. If I can get my carnivorous daughter and SIL to go, I will try one.. If not, I will go myself asap..

Ross

Ok, now I have to try it. The writeups on it are overwhelmingly good, and it even appears to bleed.

Btw, for those with allergies and/or follow strict government guidelines, the FDA hasn't approved an ingredient in it.

Nevertheless, there is a restaurant near me that now sells it. We'll be going soon.

Find me, bite me: https://impossiblefoods.com/locations/

Thanks for being our test monkey, Casey.

Last edited:
Fast food burgers have equal favoritism with me. Carl's Jr. and Burger King made it big with char-broiling their burger patties. Delicious. Wendy's fried burger patties and the way they make their burger tastes yummy too.

Jack in the Box...you do not rate among these there, sorry.

The rest of the famous hamburger joints are just too expensive. $12.99 for a burger and fries? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Found this old (10-14) but interesting article about the Impossible Burger:

I Vant to Suck Your...Plant Blood?

With the "Find Me, Bite Me" link, I saw that Michael Symon's B-Spot burger joints offer it. I also noticed on his menu that the price isn't any different from what I remember the Thin Lizzy costing when I had it last year - when it was still a regular beef burger. Looks like the price from that one patty back in 2014 came down quite a bit!

I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to go to a nearby steakhouse to try it. I don't think she heard the reason why I wanted to go there, just that I wanted to try a new place.

Her response was, "So long as I don't end up having to order another veggie burger. The places you suggest are always so unhealthy."

I kid you not.

Last edited:
:LOL:

I would so try one, based on these reviews! I looked up the locations from the link Bucky posted, and there are dozens and dozens in California that serve them, just none near me. None within a hundred miles. :ermm: I hope to try one next time I get to a larger city.

Wendys, Arby's and, Wienerschnitzel. They''ll be bought out by the holding company of McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr, Jack In the Box.

Last edited:
We went out furniture shopping again today, then stopped by a local steakhouse on the way home.

They had Impossible Burgers on the menu, so we ordered 2, and a regular burger for my boy.

Holy Cow they were good! While they didn't bleed as advertised (ours were cooked medium well), the texture was spot on, and they tasted great! No trace of veggie or bean or grain flavors, just a simple, non-fatty tasting burger.

I still can't get over the texture. If no one told me any different, I would have thought it was something like a very lean veal burger. The bite was just perfect.

We're already making plans to go back for more next week.

BT, The places you suggest are always so unhealthy. They didn't bleed and lack enthusiastic color. lol

We went out furniture shopping again today, then stopped by a local steakhouse on the way home.

They had Impossible Burgers on the menu, so we ordered 2, and a regular burger for my boy.

Holy Cow they were good! While they didn't bleed as advertised (ours were cooked medium well), the texture was spot on, and they tasted great! No trace of veggie or bean or grain flavors, just a simple, non-fatty tasting burger.

I still can't get over the texture. If no one told me any different, I would have thought it was something like a very lean veal burger. The bite was just perfect.

We're already making plans to go back for more next week.

My experience exactly.

I was actually advised to order mine medium well by the waiter/bartender, because they don't work as well when done less than that. But, since I like my regular beef burgers medium well, it was no big deal.

I'm not going vegan or anything extreme like that, but I love it when something surprises me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom