Bresaola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And , just for the record, I don’t really know what I’m doing. Just started this about 6 months ago. This is the first time making the Bresaola, so it may go south...I’ll keep reporting no matter what happens.. wish me luck..

If you suddenly disappear, we are all going to freak out! :LOL:

If you suddenly disappear, we are all going to freak out! :LOL:

Still here. Ate some of my bacon yesterday....It's been two weeks curing these two..I washed them off, and rubbed one with black pepper powder, and the other with some chili powder from red chilis from my garden...let them hang in the kitchen until tomorrow and then in the fridge they go for two months..just have to control the humidity and wait until they have lost 30% of their weight...

Attachments

• 119988389_1290752507945213_5651798100111560956_n.jpg
    119988389_1290752507945213_5651798100111560956_n.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 120041966_348050053217759_2461007675977851418_n.jpg
    120041966_348050053217759_2461007675977851418_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 60
tarnation! you make it sound and look so easy!

Making me think.... :rolleyes:

which would you suggest a real beginner should start with?

Thanks everybody..it really isn't hard..just a bit of leg work getting a few important ingredients..I have been reading and watching a lot..I have read that starting with full muscle is easier and less chance of contamination..once you start grinding or chopping meat it gets exposed to air and potential, harmful bacteria..pancetta is probably the easiest. There are tons of easy recipes out there..I can share a simple video with you..this Bresaola was easy also, but took a while..

I don't think the work is the actual part that worries me in so much as the "storing" and hanging. Humidity and temperature are key, are they not?

I don't seem to have a place that ever 'suits' what-ever is asked at the right season. At least for as long as they advise.

We bought a wine refrigerator so we could control temp and humidity, and, yes, they are very important. Sadly, it bit the dust after a couple of years and we never got another one.

Thanks everybody..it really isn't hard..just a bit of leg work getting a few important ingredients..I have been reading and watching a lot..I have read that starting with full muscle is easier and less chance of contamination..once you start grinding or chopping meat it gets exposed to air and potential, harmful bacteria..pancetta is probably the easiest. There are tons of easy recipes out there..I can share a simple video with you..this Bresaola was easy also, but took a while..

Please share!

Please share!

I would also be interested in seeing the video.

I was fortunate as the humidity in my fridge in the garage is usually around the desired percentage ...you can control the humidity a bit by either putting a dish of salt to help reduce the humidity or you can put a bowl of water with a wet towel in it to increase the humidity..I would start with small recipes so if things don't go your way, it's not a big waste..I have thrown out a batch of pork sausage the other day which was only one kilo..cost me less than 10 bucks..but I learned a lot so it was a worthwhile lesson..

I will post the full recipe that I used for the Bresaola when I get a chance..it is from the book Salumi..the same guys who created the book Charcuterie..

Here's the recipe:
One 4 lb piece of eye of round. Uniform and no fat..
2 ounces if sea salt, or 3% of the weight of the meat
2 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp thyme leaves
10 juniper berries crushed
1 tsp finely ground bay leaves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup dry white wine

Combine all ingredients then rub all over the piece of meat assuring it is well coated...add to zip lock bag and remove as much air as possible..refrigerate for 7 to 9 days...take bag out daily and massage and turn over to assure that the meat is being well covered and cured..

Remove from the bag and rinse thoroughly under cold water to remove any spices. Pat dry with paper towel..Set on rack or baking sheet and let air dry, uncovered at room temp for 2-3 hours..Weigh the beef if you are going to use the 30% curing method.

With butcher's string, tie it up in a compact roast, hang or place on rack and let dry for 3 weeks or it has lost 30% of it's wight..Ultimately humidity should be between 60 and 70 %. and the temp should be around 55 degrees, but your fridge will work in most cases..

You can buy a humidity meter for as cheap as 12-15 bucks..I have a little digital jobber that displays humidity and temperature. It will sit in your fridge someplace..humidity can vary inside your fridge so maybe you can play around with it, moving it to find a better reading for your Bresaola..there are methods to increase or decrease humidity if you have to...a dish of salt will absorb humidity from the air or a dish with water and a wed cloth in it will increase humidity..it is all trial and error at this point..I make no guarantees...lol..

Keep an eye on your bresaola..it will turn dark over the few weeks..you may get some white fuzzy mold growing on it..it is not bad..you can control it by wiping it off with a bit of water with vinegar in it..that should keep it in check..

There is lots of info out there so, the more you know, the better chance you have of achieving a good product...if anybody does try it, feel free to use this post to report your progress...it's always good to get other opinions..

Good luck..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom