"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Charcuterie and Sausage Making
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Curing

Hello
I am new here
I would like to ask some questions about sausage making
Is it possoble to dehydrate celery, grind it and use it as a curing agent? I also want to make kabanossi and krakovskaya. If after smoking I am able to rais the temperture inside to 72 do i have to use cure? If i have, can is use celery powder? Same question abote curing with salt and wine-Is it possible? I have seen some chefs on youtube doing this and even explaining that the wine will cure the meat with the salt (a regular, not cure). Will it be edible after fermented?

Mr.Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC Mr Tj.

Wow, specific questions indeed! I have never cured meats but I know a few members here do and might be able to direct you in the right direction.

You don't say if you've ever done any curing at all before? I have to say that there are many books out there dealing with curing, have you got or read them?

I guess there are many many techniques that are tried and true. So I'm also guessing from what you've implied, that you fully understand the dangers that could come from not being able to comply with the basic safety of curing.

Welcome again!
Looking forward to hearing of your exploits!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Welcome to the Discuss Cooking Forum Mr. Tj

It will be interesting to hear more about the sausage you make and see
some pictures of it too.
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Are you only talking about curing for dry sausages, etc. rather than for fresh sausages, etc.

I have cured beef brisket to make corned beef. That used only salt and seasonings like herbs, spices, aromatic vegetables. I have also cured salmon to make gravad laks. That used salt, a bit of sugar, some vodka or brandy, and fresh dill. But, neither of those are dry when ready to eat.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Tnx

Tnx for all the replies. I do some curing. My last one was a wet brined and smoked brisket. Gorgeous aroma and taste. I want to make cured ones without sodium nitrite that is why i have posted my questions
Mr.Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tj View Post
Tnx for all the replies. I do some curing. My last one was a wet brined and smoked brisket. Gorgeous aroma and taste. I want to make cured ones without sodium nitrite that is why i have posted my questions
Decades ago, there was a poorly designed study that found that rodents fed large quantities of sodium nitrate developed cancer. Practically anything can cause cancer in large enough amounts. Subsequent studies have shown that sodium nitrate is not only safe but has health benefits.
http://www.meatmythcrushers.com/myth...to-cancer.html.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I try to keep an eye on nitrates and nitrite content. Too much gives me puffy eyes, gout flare-ups.

Of course, every once in a while I go berserk and pig-out completely on sausages/deli-meats. I suffer the next day but man... did I enjoy it for the moment.

« Bresaola | - »