Sausage Making Supplies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Friday I received a few addition attachments for my KA. These guys went overboard.
The bought me the food grinder, shredders, strainer and the sausage stuffer.
Had I known they were up to something like that I would have asked for some sausage making books. I've never made sausage.

Looking at a few casing suppliers I'm not sure exactly what type to buy or the quantities. How do you store them? Shelf life? I'm not looking to make huge quantities at a time 5-10 Lbs here and there will do just fine. What kinds do you use personally?

They also want me to get into making Linguisa, Pepperoni, Bologna to..The list is getting longer.
If anyone here can suggest a few books I'd appreciate it.

Here's a few places I've been looking at.

<b>•</b> Sausage Casings & Meat Bags : The Sausage Source - Sausage Making Supplies & Equipment
The Sausage Maker, Inc. - Sausage Making Equipment & Supplies - Natural Casings

Thank you
Munky.

Lucky you!! I recently bought a meat grinder to make sausage...haven't gotten there yet. I want the pasta attachment for my mixer...I doubt anyone will buy it for me for Christmas, but I so want it...

We buy from your second link, sausage maker. We are totally happy with their casings and buy a hank at a time. They come all ready in a tub with salt. Currently (12 months) we have 3 large tubs crowding a shelf in the fridge. Just add more salt to them after using them and they last almost forever. They do get a little more brittle as time goes on but still very good.

Soak them for 20 min in luke warm water prior to use and you are good to go. Personally (going through the kitchen aid sausage attachement phase) if you are keen on this, buy this 5Lb. Sausage Stuffer, Cast Iron - The Sausage Maker, Inc. and your life will be so much happier. We have had ours for almost 10 years and we LOVE it. Made 25lbs three weeks ago and it is so much easier.

We have an awesome brat recipe if you are interested..........

We buy from your second link, sausage maker. We are totally happy with their casings and buy a hank at a time. They come all ready in a tub with salt. Currently (12 months) we have 3 large tubs crowding a shelf in the fridge. Just add more salt to them after using them and they last almost forever. They do get a little more brittle as time goes on but still very good.

Soak them for 20 min in luke warm water prior to use and you are good to go. Personally (going through the kitchen aid sausage attachement phase) if you are keen on this, buy this 5Lb. Sausage Stuffer, Cast Iron - The Sausage Maker, Inc. and your life will be so much happier. We have had ours for almost 10 years and we LOVE it. Made 25lbs three weeks ago and it is so much easier.

We have an awesome brat recipe if you are interested..........

Thank you for that information. I'm definitely keen on the idea of sausage making, curing. The more I read about the whole process I could kick myself for not trying it sooner. Sure I could go to the butcher, and I will be for the meats and seasonings. He found out that I'll be attempting this project soon. Yesterday he sent me over his pre made ground chicken sausage. All I have to do is stuff it into the casings.

Is the KA that much trouble? I had taken a look at the 5Lb sausage stuffer. That's a nice unit. If you wouldn't mind sharing your brat recipe I'd love to try it.
I'll go ahead and order from that supplier the extra things that I'll be needing. Thermometer is at the top of the list.

*Frank
Thank you for the book idea. That's what I was looking for. :)

Munky.

The KA does a fine job grinding meat. For stuffing sausage it starts to get challenged. The horns aren't long enough to put a full hank on (I was using lamb), the hopper is too small and hard to load and because the motor runs nonstop it is hard to get good pacing and to not over stuff.

We had a great time and went through about 10 pounds, and keep threatening to do it again, but it was finicky to do the stuffing with.

BTW.. the book is fantastic, get the book. :mrgreen:

For me, the KA worked but then it was so challenging that I dreaded sausage making again. Dreading cooking is not a happening thing. I just LOVE the 5lb stuffer I showed you the link to. It makes it so easy!

Fresh Bratwurst

Adapted from Michael Ruhlman's recipe in "Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting Smoking and Curing"

Other changes I make was that I make it all pork, no veal. I used all 20-30% fat chunky ground pork and they turned out just delicious.

Ingredients:

* 3 Pounds/1350 grams boneless pork shoulder butt, diced
* 1 pound/450 grams boneless lean veal shoulder, diced
* 1 pound/450 grams pork back fat
* 1.5 ounces/40 grams kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons/6 grams ground white pepper
* 1.5 ounces/5 grams freshly grated nutmeg
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup/250 milliliters ice cold heavy cream
* 10 feet/3 meters hog casings soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed.

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except the eggs and cream and toss well to distribute the seasonings. Chill until ready to grind.
2. Grind the mixture through a small die into a bowl set in ice(see note below).
3. Using the paddle attachment of a standing mixer(or a strong wooden spoon if mixing by hand), mix on low speed (or stir) for 1 minute. Add the eggs and cream, start the mixer on low, and the increase the speed to medium and mix until the cream and eggs are uniformly incorporated and the sausage appears sticky, about a minute longer. Sauté a small portion of the sausage mixture and taste; adjust he seasoning if necessary. (Refrigerate the sausage mixture while you do this.)
4. Stuff the sausage in the hog casings.
5. Twist into 6 inch/15 centimeter links.
6. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook.
7. Gently sauté, grill or roast the sausages to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F./65 degrees C.

Makes about 5 pounds/2.25 kilograms sausage; about twenty 6-inch/15 centimeter links.

Notes: Keeping your ingredients cold with this recipe is very important. If the sausage "breaks" the flavor will be the same, but the texture will be undesirable.

For me, the KA worked but then it was so challenging that I dreaded sausage making again. Dreading cooking is not a happening thing. I just LOVE the 5lb stuffer I showed you the link to. It makes it so easy!

Fresh Bratwurst

Adapted from Michael Ruhlman's recipe in "Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting Smoking and Curing"

Other changes I make was that I make it all pork, no veal. I used all 20-30% fat chunky ground pork and they turned out just delicious.

Ingredients:

* 3 Pounds/1350 grams boneless pork shoulder butt, diced
* 1 pound/450 grams boneless lean veal shoulder, diced
* 1 pound/450 grams pork back fat
* 1.5 ounces/40 grams kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons/6 grams ground white pepper
* 1.5 ounces/5 grams freshly grated nutmeg
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup/250 milliliters ice cold heavy cream
* 10 feet/3 meters hog casings soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed.

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except the eggs and cream and toss well to distribute the seasonings. Chill until ready to grind.
2. Grind the mixture through a small die into a bowl set in ice(see note below).
3. Using the paddle attachment of a standing mixer(or a strong wooden spoon if mixing by hand), mix on low speed (or stir) for 1 minute. Add the eggs and cream, start the mixer on low, and the increase the speed to medium and mix until the cream and eggs are uniformly incorporated and the sausage appears sticky, about a minute longer. Sauté a small portion of the sausage mixture and taste; adjust he seasoning if necessary. (Refrigerate the sausage mixture while you do this.)
4. Stuff the sausage in the hog casings.
5. Twist into 6 inch/15 centimeter links.
6. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook.
7. Gently sauté, grill or roast the sausages to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F./65 degrees C.

Makes about 5 pounds/2.25 kilograms sausage; about twenty 6-inch/15 centimeter links.

Notes: Keeping your ingredients cold with this recipe is very important. If the sausage "breaks" the flavor will be the same, but the texture will be undesirable.

Thank you for the recipe :)
I haven't forgotten about this thread. Just been a little busy lately. Slowly compiling my list to place an order soon.

Is it ok if the pork is already ground from the butcher? I'm not sure about the fat ratio of it ( Trade secret ) Don't ask, don't tell policy is enforced ! :)
All I'd need to do is season and keep it chilled. My only concern is the mixing of it.
Is it possible to over mix, or does that even matter with making sausages?
See I know nothing.. Ask the pro's who do :)

Thanks again.

Munky.

Fine with store bought ground. Trick is to keep the meat and mixes cold, cold, cold. I usually add some ice to the mix too. Your hands get super cold. I wear gloves to help with that. Even latex/nitrile disposible gloves give a level of cold protection.

Try not to over mix it. A good thing in general with ground meats I think. Unless the sausage is a homogenized one of course, Hmmm maybe the Brat is more homogenized... just keep it cold.

Back
Top Bottom