What’s the allure of Spam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, why did you think it necessary to quote my reply, when it doesn't have anything to do with your post?:rolleyes:

Well, it was obviously part of a well planned attack on you as a person. What else could it possibly be... meaningless coincidence? :devilish:

CD

I think the allure of it is that it's easy and canned. No fridge needed. It's not horrible especially if it's prepared well with other stuff.

Spam and Cabbage, cheap and friendly!
This is my new favorite recipe using Spam, besides Musubi:
The Red Gingham: Spam with Cabbage
spam and cabbage.jpg
[photo courtesy of Red Gingham.com]
You figure for less than $5 USD, you can feed 4-6 folks, add a bowl of steamed rice and I'm very happy.

Spam and Cabbage, cheap and friendly!
This is my new favorite recipe using Spam, besides Musubi:
The Red Gingham: Spam with Cabbage
View attachment 29527
[photo courtesy of Red Gingham.com]
You figure for less than $5 USD, you can feed 4-6 folks, add a bowl of steamed rice and I'm very happy.

Thanks for the recipe!

It sounds like a great day before payday meal.

The recipe calls for an awful lot of water, I think 3 T would be enough to steam/saute the cabbage.

It's on my list and may get a test drive using some leftover Easter ham this time around. I'm thinking it could use a big splash of soy sauce and maybe a dash of toasted sesame seed oil. :yum:

Thanks for the recipe!

It sounds like a great day before payday meal.

The recipe calls for an awful lot of water, I think 3 T would be enough to steam/saute the cabbage.

It's on my list and may get a test drive using some leftover Easter ham this time around. I'm thinking it could use a big splash of soy sauce and maybe a dash of toasted sesame seed oil. :yum:

Aunt Bea, I don't measure, I just splash water as needed til the cabbage is a crisp tender, myself.
Soy and Sesame oil would be wonderful to finish, even Sesame Seeds and some Green Onions. :yum:

How did the word allure get into a sentence about spam?

Bliss... that is hysterical! I was told (back in the 50's) that Spam was created for the armed forces. So although probably (?) nutritional (wha!?) after the war it was something that was eaten only on a "no other choice" or for a convenience only.

Yes, we did have it on occasion, but not as the main attraction, along side of something like a potato or egg salad. Perhaps in a sandwich? I honestly don't remember.

I have to add - that I am amazed at how many comments/recipes/etc I see here on this forum for Spam/Hot dogs/etc.!!!

Last edited:
My dad loved that stuff. I thought it smelled like cat food too and wasn't about to eat it. Craig and I have thinking about making some homemade deviled ham with some of that massive amount of let over ham we have.

Please post a recipe when you perfect it.

McD's Deluxe Breakfast Paltter.jpg

In Hawaii, even McDonald's has Spam on their menu... Deluxe Breakfast Platter, Spam, Portuguese Sausage, Scrambled Eggs, two scoop Rice (with Aloha Shoyu of course!) AND a Hash brown ... PHEW!!

:LOL:

Oh and they also serve what we call Saimin or Ramen to you folks with julienne slices of Spam in it!!

Last edited:
Perhaps if you could explain the reason for the title of this thread? Did you ask Blissful that question? Or Joel?
I didn't write the title, so no, I can't explain it. I asked you why you are so amazed that there are people on this forum who like things like Spam and hot dogs. No one else said that.

Last edited:
..... I was told (back in the 50's) that Spam was created for the armed forces. ..... after the war it was something that was eaten only on a "no other choice" or for a convenience only.

I have to add - that I am amazed at how many comments/recipes/etc I see here on this forum for Spam/Hot dogs/etc.!!!

This was the impression I was given, so to repeat myself using different words, I am surprised at how many people seem to use it on a regular basis.

I didn't think my statement was a much different expression than Bliss or Joel's.

Last edited:
I once watched a TV show where a spokesman from the maker of SPAM explained it was made of pork shoulder. (what many call butt) It was a
convenience food for the military on the battle field or in other situations
when more sophisticated food prep facilities weren't available. I grew up
with it and didn't mind it. Dad used to get it in these Army Green cans that
were about 18 inches long and 5 X 5 inches square. He had learned a dozen
different ways to prepare it. I especially remember the brown mushroom gravy sauce he made to put on the fried slices of it.

Today I like the TREET brand as it is cheaper. (SPAM puts a lot of money in advertising and different flavor varieties)

My main thing to do with it is to make a ground meat salad. (like Ham salad)

Grind one can of it thru the fine plate of the grinder
Grind a Sweet Pickle or two thru
Grind a hand full of green olives stuffed with pimentos
Grind a half of a green bell pepper

Into this you could add some shredded cheese, chopped hard cooked egg,
add sweet pickle relish if you didn't use sweet pickles already.

As for adding herbs and spices remember the meat is already seasoned. But a little season-all is always good.

As a binder, I often use salad dressing or mayo, but I especially like the sweet
Vidalia salad dressing in enough quantity to loosen this up to be spreadable.

Just for variety I've added a few rings of pickled jalapeno pepper into the grinder when I was prepping this.

This can go well with rye bread and a leaf of lettuce & tomato as a sandwich filling, or if you split a tomato into sections this can be stuffed into it with a spoon full full of cottage cheese on the side along with some potato chips.

Time was when they had TREET on sale for $1 a can. That's when I'd buy a case of it.

I grew up eating Spam and hot dogs, while I no longer eat them on a regular basis, they remain comfort food for me.

I grew up eating Spam and hot dogs, while I no longer eat them on a regular basis, they remain comfort food for me.

+1 PF

And we do still eat them on a, well, semi-regular basis.
I just saw this on Face Book, on a "local" or Hawaii-Based site

spam katsu.jpg
(photo courtesy of Ono Kine Recipes)

Spam Katsu or Cutlets :yum: oh, with some katsu sauce for dipping? :ohmy: … MUST_TRY!!!
That's like a grab-it-with-your-fingers and eat-it-with-a-beer kinda dish, IMHO!

I might have made mention in this thread a ways back, Spam is part of my culinary culture. The State of Hawaii eats the most Spam per capita in America.

Last edited:
Spam Katsu sounds divine!

We lived on Guam, another place where Spam is King. Dad was in the Air Force and later when he was a college student with three kids, Spam and hot dogs were affordable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom