What’s the allure of Spam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah! The look on my Dad's face when he saw the case of Vienna sausages in my cupboard was priceless. He told me if I needed help with groceries to just tell him. Took me a bit to convince him it was something I enjoyed.

"affordable" … in fact I was at the mega-"Mart" the other day and Armor brand Vienna Sausages were 58¢ a can and there's what? seven/can ... 3 for me and 4 for him... that works … about 8¢ per sausage …
Add a scrambled Egg … $1.29/dozen=approx. 11¢ per egg

(I bought a dozen eggs at Safeway yesterday for TWELVE CENTS!!!!)

+ a scoop (1/2 cup cooked) steamed White Rice, meh let's estimate it at a penny..

Breakfast cost for the two of us cost us ONE USD!!!
:ohmy:
Easy, cheap, maybe not health, but …

Here is a recipe we have made several times. It is very good. We are great SPAM lovers. In fact, we had it for breakfast this morning.

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.

Source: "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Last edited:
I usually don't post recipes until after we have made them, but I hope we will make this soon.

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites
(makes 32 pieces)

18 bacon strips
1 can (12 oz.) reduced-sodium SPAM, cut into 32 cubes
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut bacon strips crosswise in half. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

Wrap a bacon piece around each Spam cube; secure with a toothpick. Place in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine mustard, syrup and garlic, drizzle over Spam. Bake until bacon is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Apr/May 2019

I know you can buy Maple Bacon but I think first time trying this, we would rather use the maple syrup.

Last edited:
I prefer Treet over Spam.
Sliced and then fried until crispy on the edges.
Put these slices on a soft bun with mayo, onion, lettuce and tomato and you really have a great sandwich.
Some people use Treet or Spam like bacon for breakfast. Fried even more crispy. Its good stuff and I always have one can on the shelf.

Now, I've tried both Spam® as well as Treet®
and I'll take Spam® any day of the week!

IMHO anyways, I feel that Treet® has more fat globules,
if you want to call them that.
Not as eye-appealing to me anywhos …

crispy spam.jpg

Crispy Spam, MAN! Now I'm hungry all over again! :LOL:

I was surprised to find it in the cupboard of a yacht when we were cruising off New Zealand. The skipper was quite keen on the stuff for brekky.

Another surprise was being told that the Japanese make a sort of sushi with SPAM, called musubi:

gBPQcWo.jpg

5Wlcnzg.jpg

Must have been those postwar rations.

+1 pf

and we do still eat them on a, well, semi-regular basis.
I just saw this on face book, on a "local" or hawaii-based site

View attachment 39110
(photo courtesy of ono kine recipes)

spam katsu or cutlets :yum: Oh, with some katsu sauce for dipping? :ohmy: … must_try!!!
That's like a grab-it-with-your-fingers and eat-it-with-a-beer kinda dish, imho!

I might have made mention in this thread a ways back, spam is part of my culinary culture. The state of hawaii eats the most spam per capita in america.

IMG_6541.jpg

yum!

A part of it is post-war nostalgia. Both Hawaii, and Korea are huge Spam eaters, as was shared with them by American Soldiers. Also, It is loved in the Philippines for the same reason.

But part of it is convenience, shelf stability, and the mild spice and saltiness. It pairs well with fresh fruit, cheese, and even baked beans. It can be diced, and added to stir fries, pastas. It's good in casseroles, on pizza, mixed into cheese macaroni. . It makes a quick sandwich. either fried, or served right out of the can, especially with a fried egg, and cheese.

It's as good as canned corned beef, canned ham, or other vanned meats.

It's not at the top of my list of food cravings, but before I had to watch my sodium intake, I'd get a craving for it now and again, just like i would for canned Vienna Sausages, or gas station burritos. :D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

oh i love spam!!! it always brings me a nostalgic joy as i grew up eating it at my grandparents house! my grandmother would make it for breakfast with potatoes and scrambled eggs. she would prepare it sliced and pan fried. i still love it this way!

i have made it myself in a few different ways but pan frying seems to be my favorite!

i’ve used it as my protein for friend rice!
chopped into cubes and fried in a skillet,
add frozen veggie mix, leftover white rice, seasonings!
top with fresh cilantro or green onion- bam!

also yummy in place of bacon in a BLT! really crunchy edges- so goood!

spam is my favorite because it’s unpretentious and satisfying!

I guess Spam is a processed meat, like sausage - I hope I’m in the right forum!

I’ve never had Spam. Ever. As thrifty as mother was, and considering what a poor cook she was (she actually wasn’t a poor cook, she was not a cook at all, and didn’t like to cook), that’s surprising. Maybe something about Spam offended her Jewish upbringing.

So what’s the allure? The price? Is it delicious? What kind of recipes is it used in? Is it as bad for you as cigarettes? Is it good for you at all?

That “Spam” has become a metaphor for unneeded and unwanted info doesn’t bode well for the actual product. But it’s ubiquitous, it’s become a staple in Hawaiian cuisine, and it’s always available. And it’s really REALLY cheap.

Fill me in on this mystery meat! (Is it meat?)

What's the allure? Nostalgia in my case :) it's not good, it certainly isn't good for you, but it was part of growing up.

I've said since this thread was started I was going to try some of these recipes... have not gotten there yet!

Cheryl, you said first in 2018... LOL did you?

My favorite use of spam is chirashi. Chirashi is sushi in bowl form. So fry up the spam musubi style and seasoned with teriyaki or take the shortcut of sprinkling some soy and sugar on and let it caramelize a bit. I admit I've taken to cutting it in cubes for frying makes it easier to assemble the chirashi. And I usually use the reduced sodium spam where I'm adding soy sauce to it.

Meanwhile cube up some cucumber, julienne some carrot, slice some green onion. I like to fry up some very thin garlic chips too.

And at the table have some furikake, shredded nori, togarishi, maybe some toasted sesame seeds if your furikake is the type without it.

Assemble and season your bowl with sushi rice and toppings from the above.

Last edited:
Just Joel, as your thread says "what's the allure of spam?" Well, not sure, but there does seem to be a lot of people interested in it. As was said, your thread has 29 K visitors, and I have a Spam thread on another site that has 24 K visitors. Good going SPAM!!!!!

I think the allure of Spam is in the fat and salt. Is it still inexpensive? It comes in a can, so it's shelf stable and convenient.

When I was a kid, my mum would occasionally serve fried slices of Spam. It could be part of a quick supper, but more likely to be as substitute for bacon or sausage with eggs for breakfast. I rather liked it that way, especially since we didn't get it often.

That said, I don't think I have ever bought it myself. I can't remember the last time I had it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom