Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought it might be a good time to revive this thread. Is anyone here on DC still on a ketogenic diet?

I've managed to stick with it for almost 9 months now. I've lost about 80 pounds, but have plateaued recently. I don't have a lot more to lose, and if I don't lose anther pound, I'm okay with that. I've found it very, very easy to maintain my current weight on this diet - something I've never been able to do in the past.

I wanted to post a photo of a dinner I had recently while dining out in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was what I would consider to be an almost perfect keto meal: a 6 ounce, 35-day aged (yes - 5 weeks!), grass-fed New York strip steak. At first, I thought the block sitting on top of the steak was cheese, but turned out to be 2 ounces of compound butter. The steak is also sitting in a pool of Bearnaise sauce. On the left is creamed Swiss chard with with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

I didn't lose any weight on this trip, but I didn't gain any, either. When I got home, I was happy to find I was the exact same weight as when I left. :)

img_1431781_0_9c2769f3f445262b6518691d507796a6.jpg

That looks wonderful, Steve. Yes, I am back on ketogenic since the move. Mom and Dad are ketoing it, too! Makes it easier to stay accountable if there are others fasting and eating with you. We fast on Tuesdays. Shrek is on a modified Keto...he's working his way off carbs at this point. I was just glad when he quit drinking Pepsi recently.

Stuffed green olives and cream cheese is a great filling for crunchy celery stalks, sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top! :yum:

A few of them stuck together, with the filling between two pieces of celery, are a nice addition to a picnic or bag lunch.

Aunt Bea, I eat cream cheese in celery quite often, but I never thought to add some chopped olives to it. Great!

Aunt Bea, I eat cream cheese in celery quite often, but I never thought to add some chopped olives to it. Great!

In the old days, when I could still eat bread, that made a nice sandwich filling. These days I spread it on celery and cucumber rounds. You can also spread it on a slice of deli ham, turkey, etc... and roll it up. Those rollups are a nice addition to a summer salad plate.

Last edited:
In the old days, when I could still eat bread, that made a nice sandwich filling. These days I spread it on celery and cucumber rounds. You can also spread it on a slice of deli ham, turkey, etc... and roll it up. Those rollups are a nice addition to a summer salad plate.

You always have such good ideas, Aunt Bea!

This was Himself's version a few days ago (can you see why I don't want him to do any more cooking than on the grill??):

Attachments

• 2015-08-01 03.03.44.jpg
    2015-08-01 03.03.44.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 194
has some recipes that don't use flour. Her brownie recipe is delish. The other blog I like is closet cooking.com. Kevin recently posted about 50 of his low carb recipes.
The brownie recipe looks great, but contains too many ingredients that wouldn't work on a ketogenic diet. For example, dates, orange juice, and maple syrup.

This is one that I've used, and only has about 2g net carbs per serving:
Maria Mind Body Health | low carb brownies, sugar free brownies, gluten free brownies

(I do get a little annoyed with her unsubstantiated health claims, however.)

Dad got the cookbook that came out of the South African Conference, Professor Tim Noakes is one of the authors. I perused the cookbook last night. Very nice and only using real foods. Unfortunately it's only for sale in England...but Amazon can get it for you.

I'm back on the keto team.
Blood pressure, a problem but it's holding.
Exercise, I need it, everyday. I need to lose weight.
Blood sugar, never a problem until now, it's a tiny bit high.
Started in earnest yesterday and today. Tomorrow is day 3 so, exercise will have to be part of it.

Eggplant breaded with eggs and coconut flour, cooked in olive oil/butter, topped with a little cheese and tomato sauce (homemade). The coconut flour has no coconut taste after frying.
Thin sliced salami, spread with a mixture of cream cheese/minced kalamata olives/chopped fine walnuts.
Cream in coffee or caffix all day long.
Raw salad of chopped tomatoes/peppers/onions/cucumber/lemon juice/olive oil/garlic/S&P. (2 cups at a time)
Eggs fried in coconut oil and butter.
That's what I've been eating for the past 2 days.
I need more variety and I wonder what I'll be able to eat for vegetables in the winter time! :ohmy:

I saw that recipe for the flourless Chocolate Torte, Zereh, that looks good.
I'm not craving anything.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making chop suey with pork loin, lots of veggies some sauce and I'll forgo the rice.

The caffix, I'd never tried it before to replace coffee, no caffeine especially late at night. It's amazingly delicious and satisfying with a little cream.

Does anyone have experience with Swerve? I've never used it. How does it do with your blood sugar?
Any encouragement is welcome.
OH and by the way, the fruit smoothies, w/o added sugar, I had to quit them, too much natural sugar!
The lettuce garden is producing lettuce so I'll be adding that to my diet tomorrow.

Blissful, Steve Kroll uses Swerve, and is also diabetic. I've never tried it, but it's working for Steve.

Blissful, Steve Kroll uses Swerve, and is also diabetic. I've never tried it, but it's working for Steve.

Hi Dawgluver, nice to see you. :)
From what I read, Steve hit his goal, that's fantastic, I wonder how he is doing now maintaining it. I'm guessing he is doing good! :)

Hi Dawgluver, nice to see you. :)
From what I read, Steve hit his goal, that's fantastic, I wonder how he is doing now maintaining it. I'm guessing he is doing good! :)
Hi Blissful!

I hit my first goal, which was 50 lbs, back in February. Since then, I've continued to lose weight, although more slowly. I've now lost a total of 88 pounds. I have another 9 lbs to go to get to the weight I was when my wife and I first met.

Back then she thought I was a nice looking, slender guy. Let's hope she still thinks so. :rolleyes:

I have had no problem at all keeping the weight off, as long as I stick to the plan. It goes up or down a pound from time to time, but I have to say that this has been the easiest diet ever for maintaining weight.

Hi Blissful!

I hit my first goal, which was 50 lbs, back in February. Since then, I've continued to lose weight, although more slowly. I've now lost a total of 88 pounds. I have another 9 lbs to go to get to the weight I was when my wife and I first met.

Back then she thought I was a nice looking, slender guy. Let's hope she still thinks so. :rolleyes:

I have had no problem at all keeping the weight off, as long as I stick to the plan. It goes up or down a pound from time to time, but I have to say that this has been the easiest diet ever for maintaining weight.

HI Steve! You are doing so well! I bet your DW is happy for your happiness with your weight loss.
Did Swerve prove to be a useful sweetener in the long run and does it impact BS?
I hope you don't mind all my questions. How has your keto diet changed from the beginning to the maintenance and slow loss you are doing now? Thanks!

HI Steve! You are doing so well! I bet your DW is happy for your happiness with your weight loss.
Did Swerve prove to be a useful sweetener in the long run and does it impact BS?
I hope you don't mind all my questions. How has your keto diet changed from the beginning to the maintenance and slow loss you are doing now? Thanks!

Swerve doesn't affect my blood sugar one bit. I don't have a problem with most artificial sweeteners, to be honest, but Swerve tastes the best, in my opinion.

My keto diet hasn't changed at all. It's very easy to maintain my current weight if I stick to the plan. If I go up a pound, I skip a meal the next day - and usually go down 3 pounds. It's weird how this things works.

My blood sugar is completely stable and the doctor even took the word "diabetic" off my record this year. That was the ultimate reward for staying with this.

I try to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day. But there are days I've had as many as 30 or 40.

The funny thing is I don't really track very closely anymore. It's become second nature when eating at home, because I more or less know what has carbs and what doesn't. Dining out is always sort of the wild card.

Does anyone have a TNT recipe for making a low carb baking mix or APF substitute?

I have purchased this from Nuts.com and it is very good for making pancakes, breading chicken, etc...

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/mixes/bread/lowcarb-bread-mix.html

I would prefer a recipe for a similar mixture that I could make using locally available ingredients.

Thanks!

Aunt Bea,

Unfortunately, I'm completely grain free, so I don't actually use products like those because they almost always contain oats, rice, or wheat - even though they are still technically "low carb."

Back
Top Bottom