"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Low Carb | Keto
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Newbie Question for experienced keto eater

I have been eating keto lifestyle now for over 2 years but has only been the last year Ive started using a blood meter to monitor after having weight gain and water retention yo yo regardless that I keep my eating clean. What I am confused about it not seeming to get high numbers or even hold ketosis during certain times of month (during my period numbers are nil). Im 43 hours into a fast and still only showing as .4 usually after 120hours I can get to as high as 4.0 but as soon as I eat the number plumet until Im out again. I eat well under 20 total carbs, zero processed foods/sauces, no sweetners or extras. I eat meat, eggs and fat omad. I can fast for days so sure there is some fat adaption but yet no weight loss. What am I doing wrong? I honestly dont understand these keto numbers other than Im supposed to aim for 1.5 which for me seems impossible to hold.

watsonlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #2
Cupcake

Welcome to DC.

I followed the Keto diet for a couple of years. It worked great for me, but it was also very hard for me to keep following. I did not fast though.

A few questions that I have: Are you getting enough fats in? What are your daily macros? For me, my macros were 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein, about 5% carbs. I would start my day with a fat bomb and bulletproof coffee. Then my numbers would look great all day.

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis. Fat is about 9 calories/gram, carbs and protein about 4 cal/gram. Fat is a much denser fuel, so you have to force or trick your body into burning it instead of the others, which are less dense and burn more readily. Cut back on protein and use mct oil or coconut oil to jumpstart ketosis.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags