Andy's Handy Sous Vide Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Tip #1:

After pre-heating the water bath, remember to put the food into the container before walking away and waiting for dinner to be ready!

Note: Dinner will be later than usual tonight.

Did you ever put the beer in the freezer "just for a few minute to make it really cold," and forget you did it? :ohmy::angel:

CD
I did that a few months ago..it popped a cap and poured all over a half of a cheese cake we had in the freezer..didn't know it until a couple of days later when GF took a bite of a piece of the cheesecake and shouted "this tastes like beer"..lol..I was in trouble..

Last edited:

Good man!

Did you ever put the beer in the freezer "just for a few minute to make it really cold," and forget you did it? :ohmy::angel:

CD

Lol, no. After the first few warm beers, it stops mattering how cold they are.

Btw, don't ever bring beer on a winter backpacking trip for the same reason. You beging to hear them hiss and gurgle as they feeeze and crack open, leaving heer slushies all over everything else in your pack.

*bump*
and
*highjack*, sorry Andy, I hope you don't mind

I had been looking for a while now for this video:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-keep-sous-vide-bags-submerged.html

Another Food Forum that I belong to was talking about this:
Keeping the food submerged!
Neat trick, for sure :chef:
Good idea to be sure, but that method would not have worked for my two small cap steaks the other nite. I got a heavy garden rock, and put it in a plastic bag, then laid it on top of the little steaks. :smartass:

Good idea to be sure, but that method would not have worked for my two small cap steaks the other nite. I got a heavy garden rock, and put it in a plastic bag, then laid it on top of the little steaks. :smartass:

I use a FoodSaver to vacuum pack SV food and they stay underwater fine. If you don't have a Foodsaver, forcing the air out of the bag using the displacement method works well too. Place the meat in a ziplock freezer bag and seal the top almost all the way across, leaving about and inch still open. Lower the bag into the water bath until the unsealed portion of the top is all that's above water. finish sealing the bag and you should be all set.

Last edited:
I use a FoodSaver to vacuum pack SV food and they stay underwater fine. If you don't have a Foodsaver, forcing the air out of the bag using the displacement method works well too. Place the meat in a ziplock freezer bag and seal the top almost all the way across, leaving about and inch still open. Lower the bag into the water bath until the unsealed portion of the top is all that's above water. finish sealing the bag and you should be all set.

Yes, I've used the water displacement method with the zip lock bags from the start and it works well. The steaks had no air left in the bag, and still they needed the rock. ;)

I was reading somewhere to use your Pie Weights,
the ones that are chain-like, in the bag ... interesting.

View attachment 43099

That's something I don't have Kgirl, but if you do, it would be perfect.:cool:

I know for a fact you have rocks though. It would be cute to paint a little larger one and use it for your special SV weight. :D

Though I have never seen anything about using one, I would place a round cake rack on the bottom of the pot, so the water would circulate around the bag, esp. if it was weighted down. Or maybe something like the rack used in canning, to elevate the jars from the bottom, if using that large pot. Does anyone else do this?

Last edited:
Though I have never seen anything about using one, I would place a round cake rack on the bottom of the pot, so the water would circulate around the bag, esp. if it was weighted down. Or maybe something like the rack used in canning, to elevate the jars from the bottom, if using that large pot. Does anyone else do this?

I clip my bags to the side of the pot.

Interesting.
I saw this

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I clip my bags to the side of the pot.

What sort of clips do you use Andy? I've seen so many different versions.

Back
Top Bottom