"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Sous-Vide Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Just FYI, MrCat started this thread on 10-18-2017 -- more than two years ago. Same day as his last post. So, we are kinda' "preachin' to the choir."

CD

Yep, I saw that too Casey but the $1,164.99 got my attention with a new post.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yep, I saw that too Casey but the $1,164.99 got my attention with a new post.
The cheapest restaurant level vacuum sealer I have seen is like 800 bucks. I'd love to have one. I'd love to have a Ferrari, too. A summer home on Cape Cod would be nice a nice place to park my Ferrari.

CD
Old 04-01-2019, 03:57 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I don't understand why you would want to use a vacuum sealer for marinating meat. Marinades only penetrate a few millimeters of the meat, and most of that happens within an hour or so. Extended marinating time tends to degrade the texture of the meat. A ziploc bag or a covered bowl works quite well for the short marinating time required. Here's ATK's take:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...ng-and-boiling
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I don't understand why you would want to use a vacuum sealer for marinating meat. Marinades only penetrate a few millimeters of the meat, and most of that happens within an hour or so. Extended marinating time tends to degrade the texture of the meat. A ziploc bag or a covered bowl works quite well for the short marinating time required. Here's ATK's take:

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...ng-and-boiling
Thanks for that link. That was interesting and useful. I knew some of that because there have been links here to ATK videos about some of that before.

I knew about the whisking whipped cream side to side from an experience decades ago. I was living in Copenhagen and working part time in hospitals while attending university. One evening the patients on one floor were going to be served hot chocolate with whipped cream. I was handed a whisk, and an enormous bowl with several litres of whipping cream in it and told to whisk it. I tried. I wasn't getting very far. Then someone told me that I was doing it wrong. She showed me the side to side technique and I tried that. Oh my goodness, that made a huge difference. That bowl of cream became whipped cream in no time. I wonder why it never occurred to me to try that method for emulsifying. I will now.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I had one DECADES ago and got rid of it because the "refills" are so freakin' expensive. I only used it for freezing stuff anyway. I'm good with ziplocs - cheaper than the refills, easier to use, and don't require an extra electric thingy to use. And if you want to remove as much air as possible, just sink your filled bag in a pan of cold water and it will push the vast majority of the air out, then just zip it closed.
Kitchen Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
I had one DECADES ago and got rid of it because the "refills" are so freakin' expensive. I only used it for freezing stuff anyway. I'm good with ziplocs - cheaper than the refills, easier to use, and don't require an extra electric thingy to use. .
Maybe... "Handi-Vac" by Reynolds (still available-out of production)? Hand held, battery operated. Ziplock still makes quart and gallon vacuum bags that work with Handi-Vac. It removes all the air you want but lacks the vaccum power of counter top models which can crush empty aluminum cans, which I think is overkill.

Among the few uses I use it for: Refrigerated bacon (to slow down it getting old), refrigerated salami slices. Frozen jumbo shrimp after opening the bag, swiss cheese slices, and other items that I don't use up fast enough in the fridge.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Over the years, I have used more expensive counter top Food Saver Vacuums..

A year ago I picked up a Food Saver hand held "Food Saver Fresh Saver" for under $25 @ Walmart..
I purchase less food than I used to and don't keep it frozen as long as I used to.. This item works very well for me and I use it most every day for refrigerated and frozen foods..

I consider it one of my "must haves"..

Ross
Old 05-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Over the years, I have used more expensive counter top Food Saver Vacuums..

A year ago I picked up a Food Saver hand held "Food Saver Fresh Saver" for under $25 @ Walmart..
I purchase less food than I used to and don't keep it frozen as long as I used to.. This item works very well for me and I use it most every day for refrigerated and frozen foods..

I consider it one of my "must haves"..

Ross
Battery operated hand held vacuums do just as good as the countertop vacuum sealers. Handi-Vac was the first on the market. Foodsaver came out with their own hand held vacuum sealer and bags. Does that tell you anything?

I consider Handi-Vac an ingenious invention.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Long ago, I had countless ziplocs leak air, however slowly, and things get freezer burned in them. Also, I have not found any other plastic bag type that would not odors to permeate, either inside to the out, or visa-versa. How many of you have had some butter in a ziploc, gone to use it, and there was a taste besides butter? I keep it in glass jars, but that's because this happened, at least once! When I first bought a Foodsaver, I tested this by sealing some minced garlic in a bag, and even after it had fermented in the bag, the odor could not be smelled. Try that with a ziploc, or other bag.

I buy the "bags" in rolls, in large numbers, which is much cheaper.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Vacuum Sealers - what and how-to?

A couple of years ago I bought an old food saver for $2. at a thrift store. I found Walmart has bags at a better price. They come in two sizes and seem to work properly. Since I got a soup vide circulator for Christmas, Iíve been using it more. No complaints.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I'm just saying, you don't need a counter top vacuum sealer thingy that is capable of crushing aluminum cans with its suction power. Handi-Vac takes 6 AA batteries. Stores neatly in the drawer. No big machine on the counter top.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'm just saying, you don't need a counter top vacuum sealer thingy that is capable of crushing aluminum cans with its suction power. Handi-Vac takes 6 AA batteries. Stores neatly in the drawer. No big machine on the counter top.
That is why I gave mine to my son Spike. He uses it a whole lot more than I ever did. For the freezer, I tightly wrap any foods, spices, etc. in Kirkland's Stretch Tite freezer wrap, (recommended by ATK) making sure there are no air pockets. Then using small zippy freezer bags, (which can be used over and over) two thighs, legs, pieces of beef and whatever goes into to be sealed again. Just enough for the two of us for one meal.

My biggest expense is the freezer plastic wrap. I buy it in two's from Amazon. Less expensive and it is 750 feet long and 12 inches wide. My last order was more than a year ago and I am still on box #1.

I have yet to pull something from the very back of the freezer and any other area and find frost bite inside the wrapping. And because the food never touches the zippy bag, back into the drawer it goes for the next round of food shopping.

BTW, does anyone use wax paper anymore? I still use it for when I am grating a small piece of cheese or other item. Why dirty a plate?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A couple of years ago I bought an old food saver for $2. at a thrift store. I found Walmart has bags at a better price. They come in two sizes and seem to work properly. Since I got a soup vide circulator for Christmas, Iíve been using it more. No complaints.
Ever run it late at night when it's real quiet? Sounds like a fuse box is being stressed out.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A couple of years ago I bought an old food saver for $2. at a thrift store. I found Walmart has bags at a better price. They come in two sizes and seem to work properly. Since I got a soup vide circulator for Christmas, I’ve been using it more. No complaints.
You are so right Andy. My daughter bought me some once and I use them to keep my meds in when I am away from my home. They seem to stand up to all the abuse I give them. Those bags sit for months at a time in the bottom of my purse.

One time Pirate was wrapping the meats up for me and used them instead of the ones I normally use. So I finished them up. They didn't seem to take to kindly the idea of using them indefinitely like my freezer ones, but long enough to have made it worth my while. I may have had an earlier failure than the usual length of time, but then I didn't have to pay for them.

My daughter loves Walmart. I have only been in one, once in my lifetime. To grab a pad of paper so we could keep track of how much money we were spending that day. There isn't one close enough to where I live.

No complaints from me on the Walmart brand of zippy bags. I was very happy with them. If there was a Walmart's near me, I would probably be in there all the time. The closest one to me is on the Lynnway. You need transportation from her to there. Something I lack.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
BTW, does anyone use wax paper anymore? I still use it for when I am grating a small piece of cheese or other item. Why dirty a plate?
I use wax paper mainly for one thing - wrapping up all those logs of cookie dough that I make at Christmas time. Most of the cookies that I make then are slice and bake, and the dough is frozen in logs, wrapped in wax paper. I make them all up in advance, and take them out on bake day, to unwrap, slice, and bake.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I use wax paper mainly for one thing - wrapping up all those logs of cookie dough that I make at Christmas time. Most of the cookies that I make then are slice and bake, and the dough is frozen in logs, wrapped in wax paper. I make them all up in advance, and take them out on bake day, to unwrap, slice, and bake.
In a couple of months I should be able to stand on both "legs" Just in time for Christmas baking. Thanks for the idea of another use for wax paper. I have had this one box for only about six or longer years.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Lately, I've been meaning to buy parchment paper. It's not my usual group of wraps. Every now and then I wish I had some. Spread out some parchment paper to cut up chicken or lamb...toss it afterwards. As opposed to running water till hot and cleaning a thin plastic cutting board. Haven't used wax paper since grade school.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lately, I've been meaning to buy one or the other. Parchment paper or wax paper. It's not my usual group of wraps. Every now and then I wish I had some. Spread out some parchment paper to cut up chicken or lamb...toss it afterwards. As opposed to running water till hot and cleaning a thin plastic cutting board.
If you should choose to go with the parchment paper, don't get the roll, but the flat sheets. KA sells them. They don't curl up on you. So much easier to handle and use. (Voice of experience here.)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #39
Executive Chef

KA stores? No such store on the west coast usa. If I can tho, I'll buy flat parchment paper.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
KA stores? No such store on the west coast usa. If I can tho, I'll buy flat parchment paper.
KA = King Arthur Flour. You can order them by mail or on line.

My apologies. I should have been more specific.