Which Brand/Model Of Sous-Vide Device Do You Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
So, please be real specific here for me if you will.
I want to hear what brand and model of
Sous-Vide Cooker you have or had,
and a bonus question:
Why did you choose this brand/model? What was your deciding factor? What tapped you over that edge to even spend this kind of $$$ for this device?

Bonus question #2: How do you use your Sous-Vide?
In a large stock pot that you already owned? If so, what's your set up look like?
Do you use a specific Sous-Vide tub designed for this brand/model?
Do you use any other special tricks when you Sous-Vide?

Details, I need details :LOL:

Do I want to start out small, like with an inexpensive model such as Instant Pot or go for it on a top of the line model?

I got my SV circulator a couple of years ago as a Christmas gift. Joule and Anova were, at that time, the two top brands. I found the prices more than I anted to pay so I kept watching. Then around the holidays, Amazon had the Anova Nano on sale for $69. That was it. You can spend a lot more but my Nano has not failed me. I control it from a phone app but it can be programmed directly on the device. Not all models can be.

I use an in expensive 12-quart SS stock pot for SV cooking. I cover the top with foil to help retain heat during the process. Works great.

I have cooked chicken breasts and thighs, burgers, steaks, roasts, pork chops and poached eggs. They all came out as expected. I cook burgers in less than an hour.

I cooked a bottom round roast for 24 hours. I chose the bottom round as a tough cut of beef. As you cook SV for longer periods, the extended heat breaks down the connective tissues and muscle fibers resulting in a tender piece of meat. I overdid it at 24 hours and the meat was a little on the mushy side but still cooked medium. But, that doesn't discourage me as we all make mistakes from time to time. It was a learning experience.

The best chicken breasts I've ever eaten I cooked in SV. The best steak I ever cooked, I cooked SV and finished in a scorching hot cast iron skillet.

I wanted the SV as a fun toy and a way to experiment with foods and cooking. It's been great.

I encourage you to download the Anova and Joule apps to your phone or tablet and just exploring the information to see all that's possible. Also, there are many YouTube videos on the subject. Watch a few and it will give you a good ida of what's possible.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input, Andy! And everyone else that chimes in, as well. I've also been into getting a Sous Vide, for a long time, and it's good to know that that low priced model works well.

Consumer Reports did a comparison test of these two best known brands (I don't recall the models, but it was not one of their usual testings of many brands and models at once), and the only way the lower priced one rated lower was that it heated up the water slower (no big deal - we can start with hot water!) - it was only 750 watts, while the higher priced one was just over 1,000w. There was no issue with keeping the temp. exact, once it was there, and no problems with temperature recovery from large foods dropping the temperature. So maybe if doing multiple foods, or huge foods, or something like that, the higher wattage (and price) would be better, but for most of us, probably not.

I remember seeing that testing by ATK, with the one that moved the water so violently that it cracked some eggs! And I remember the top rated one you could only run by WIFI - something I've seen on a few others. The WIFI is not bad, but I wouldn't want that as the only option on something.

Last edited:
I got a Sous Vide Supreme as a birthday gift in 2010. They were very new at the time, real cutting edge stuff, and pricey! They ran about $400, as I remember. It was a full water oven, holding 11 quarts. There wasn't a lot of information about them, just a few people sharing info on the web. I still have it; it still works great.

In 2015, I got a second unit, an Anova. It's the more familiar type of stick unit that you attach to any pot you have. It has blutooth, but not wi-fi, and I've never used that feature. Since I have to actually walk over to it to put the water and food in, I can easily push the button while I'm standing there. I don't want to find my phone to use it. YMMV.

I use them both - interchangeably. Steaks, burgers, pork, chicken breasts. All are wonderful and perfectly cooked every time. At holidays, when you are cooking a hundred different dishes at once, it makes life easy. Seal all of the veggies ahead of time, drop them in the pool while you're cooking the other things, and they come out perfect without any attention needed. And it frees up burners & oven space. I've done the turkey breast and it's amazing.

It's not the answer to everything, but it's a great tool to have in your toolbox. If you are making one dish that needs a lot of attention, putting the others in the sous vide frees you up to pay attention to it so you aren't watching 2 or 3 pots at once.

It's hard to remember not having it available as an option.

Last edited:
These are all great endorsements for SV.

One problem to consider. e.g. If you like your roast medium-well and DH likes his rare, The SV won't cook them both at the same time.

These are all great endorsements for SV.

One problem to consider. e.g. If you like your roast medium-well and DH likes his rare, The SV won't cook them both at the same time.

I have been wondering about that, the different doneness levels for DH and me. Couldn't you sous-vide the steak you want well done until it was ready, change the temperature for rare and then continue with both steaks in the sous-vide? You probably have to replace some of the hot water with some that is cooler. I don't know if that's a dumb idea or not.

I have been wondering about that, the different doneness levels for DH and me. Couldn't you sous-vide the steak you want well done until it was ready, change the temperature for rare and then continue with both steaks in the sous-vide? You probably have to replace some of the hot water with some that is cooler. I don't know if that's a dumb idea or not.

It's kinda awkward but it does work. I mentioned it in the first place because most people wouldn't want to deal with that.

Thanks so much for throwing your hat into this thread guys!

Silversage, which model of Anova did you get?

And yes, Andy, that was going to be my next "bonus question":

How do you do Steak to two different temps?
DH likes his Steak medium/med-rare and I prefer medium rare.

Could I do the two Steaks to Mid-Rare, say 135°, pull them from the water, pat them both dry, get my CI skillet screamin' hot, sear DH's Steak a bit longer than mine, maybe mine for 1 minute/side and DH's say 2 minutes/side?

shrug.png

I dunno?!

And then Andy, I like the idea of waiting until the holidays and get a discount over on Amazon, whatdaya guys think?

Could I do the two Steaks to Mid-Rare, say 135°, pull them from the water, pat them both dry, get my CI skillet screamin' hot, sear DH's Steak a bit longer than mine, maybe mine for 1 minute/side and DH's say 2 minutes/side?

View attachment 43070

I dunno?!

And then Andy, I like the idea of waiting until the holidays and get a discount over on Amazon, whatdaya guys think?

K-Girl, that would work. did you see tax lady's description? That does it too.

kgirl, I agree with everything said above. I'll answer your bonus ?#2

I also have an Anova Nano that was around $100 Christmas gift from the Souschef. His jewelry gifts were always a lot more expensive. It's one of my favorite gifts next to the jewelry. ;)

This is a picture of my set up, along with a lid I purchased for it. It works perfectly for us, and I use zip lock freezer bags that I've never had a problem with. I just use clips for the bags on the side of the pot. You've heard often about my famous Wilma (Flintstone) 12,000 BTU searing side burner on my grill, but a screaming hot CI skillet works too I hear.

Hey Sista, just get one...you'll love it!

Attachments

• sv pot.jpg
    sv pot.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 140
  • AD24_1_20191205610117677.jpg
    AD24_1_20191205610117677.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 76
  • wilma.jpg
    wilma.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
K-Girl, that would work. did you see tax lady's description? That does it too.

Right. That does sound like a PITA though.

kgirl, I agree with everything said above. I'll answer your bonus ?#2

I also have an Anova Nano that was around $100 Christmas gift from the Souschef. His jewelry gifts were always a lot more expensive. It's one of my favorite gifts next to the jewelry. ;)

This is a picture of my set up, along with a lid I purchased for it. It works perfectly for us, and I use zip lock freezer bags that I've never had a problem with. I just use clips for the bags on the side of the pot. You've heard often about my famous Wilma (Flintstone) 12,000 BTU searing side burner on my grill, but a screaming hot CI skillet works too I hear.

Hey Sista, just get one...you'll love it!

K-L, DH told me the same thing, "... just order it, what does $10 difference make?"

I already have a 12qt. Revere Ware Stock Pot that my GodMother gave us as a wedding gift and as I was pulling it down, I noticed my Stove-top Water Bath Canning pot too :chef: That would be perfect say if I was doing something big, like a Roast or multiple Steaks for a group.

I saw this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HJDNX8G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A19EB6O00DSG7K&psc=1
that should fit my Stock Pot, but not the Canning Pot.

Thanks so much for throwing your hat into this thread guys!

Silversage, which model of Anova did you get?

And yes, Andy, that was going to be my next "bonus question":

View attachment 43070

I dunno?!

I don't know what model it is. When I got it, they only had one model - it was the one with Bluetooth, but before they had Wi-Fi. My moving truck comes Monday, so my kitchen is packed. I probably won't find it until next week sometime.

Containers - like the rest if us, you already have a wide assortment of cooking vessels. Any one of them will do. Just grab one big enough for the item you're cooking. The pot doesn't get hot enough to damage your surfaces, so just fill it with water and set it on the counter.

Lids - the only purpose of the lid is to reduce evaporation. For smaller items like steaks and chops, it won't run long enough for that to be a problem. I never bother with a lid for anything under 2 or 3 hours. For things that will cook overnight, any lid will do. Saran wrap is fine. I've seen ping pong balls floated on the surface. All you're trying to do is make sure that the water level doesn't drop too far.

Meat doneness - different approaches all work. Cook the more well done steak first, then remove it. Drop the temperature and cook the second steak. During the last 30 minutes or so, put the first steak back in to warm it. Then sear both. Or, just sear one longer than the other.

I got an Anova. It was just under $100 on sale at Amazon around Christmas. I use it in a stockpot we already had. I did get a lid similar to KL's but it's orange, because I didn't want to keep using and wasting foil/plastic wrap. The lid was around $20 on Amazon. They make them to specifically fit different models.

Back
Top Bottom