Cooking with chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any advice for using boneless chicken breasts in the slow cooker? A lot of time they seem to dry out instead of becoming moist. I like using them better than boned or thighs but if that is the secret then I will switch to them. Thanks for any tips.

try bar-b-quinf them? or maybe making a chicken stew?
not sure what else you could do to keep them from drying out...

IMO the slow cooker is not a very good way to cook boneless chix breasts.

Chix breasts cook very quickly and cooking them in the slow cooker inevitably dries them out. Particularly with newer models that cook at higher heat.

The slow cooker is a good way to cook meats that are meant to be slowly cooked like pot roasts, brisket, pork shoulder, etc. Bone-in, dark meat chicken is a better choice for slow cooking.

budron said:
Does anyone have any advice for using boneless chicken breasts in the slow cooker? A lot of time they seem to dry out instead of becoming moist. I like using them better than boned or thighs but if that is the secret then I will switch to them. Thanks for any tips.

Welcome to DC, budron.

I have a Rival programmable & it gets very hot... so I cook on Lo and adjust the cooking time. Here are a few tips:

Remove the skin & fat, as it increases the heat & cooks too quickly - adjust the cooking time as well.

Add some liquid, i.e. sauce, broth, wine - depending on your recipe.

Follow the directions for your cooker - i.e. mine calls for placing vegggies on top - the condensation of liquids & heat adds moisture & cooks the dish, and the pot needs to be filled about 2/3 of the way.

Check on the dish - if it looks like it's burning, add a little water or liquid.

I've made chicken cordon bleu, saltimboca (sp), steamed artichokes, etc, and haven't had a problem with anything drying out.

Hope that helps.

jennyema said:
IMO the slow cooker is not a very good way to cook boneless chix breasts.

Chix breasts cook very quickly and cooking them in the slow cooker inevitably dries them out. Particularly with newer models that cook at higher heat.

The slow cooker is a good way to cook meats that are meant to be slowly cooked like pot roasts, brisket, pork shoulder, etc. Bone-in, dark meat chicken is a better choice for slow cooking.

I do agree...I think you would be happier with thigh meat. Or maybe just do a whole bird in your cooker!!

While I agree that dark meat/bone in is a better choice for the slow cooker, I've made a pretty decent soup in the crockpot with boneless breasts, a package of 15-bean soup, chicken stock, and seasonings/herbs.

I have two fabulous BCB recipes that I will share ONLY with you...LOL(no peeking anyone else):

Sunday chicken

1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 pkg onion soup mix
4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use 3)
mix the soup and soup mix then pour on the chicken cook about 8 hrs on low
1 hr before serving mix in 1 cup of sour cream
serve over potatoes (mashed, au gratin, baked, cubed and sautéed...etc)

Chicken Enchilada Slow Mode

5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
chicken stock
1 can cream chicken soup
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 16 oz container of sour cream
1 can diced green chili peppers
1 can black olives, sliced
chives
tortillas
Shreeded cheese (your choice)

Combine chicken, soup, garlic and sour cream in large mixing bowl. Layer chicken mixture with tortillas, chicken mixture, cheese, olives and chives until basin is full. Cook on low for 4 hrs.

Yum.

I like to keep boneless chicken breasts on hand because they thaw and cook quickly. But for slow cooking, stewing, roasting, or baking, I prefer bone-in breasts and/or chicken leg quarters.

Thank you all so much for your input. I LOVE this site and have been passing it on to friends and my cooking has definitely improved!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had some success but always when it is a recipe that has plenty of liquid. Chicken broth, seasoning, carrots, celery ect. It is not my favorite thing to slow cook. I do agree that the new cookers cook must higher than the older versions. Found this out the hard way. I actually burned smoked sausage. I was bringing them to a potluck while camping. My dh refused to carry my slow cooker in case anyone saw who brought it.

Back
Top Bottom