Crock Pot Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essie

Senior Cook
When I make foods like pot roast, swiss steak and boneless chicken pieces, my finished products are always dry and shred. I do add the required liquid, but things seem overdone to me.
What can i do to actually make a pot roast that can be sliced?
I know I must be doing something wrong.

Sounds like the items you described are over cooked.

When you braise a pot roast (or other stuff), either in a crock pot or a dutch oven, you can overcook it. When it's overcooked, it becomes dry (even though it's been cooking in a liquid) and shreds like pulled pork rather than slicing neatly.

How long you cook an item depends on the size of the meat pieces. A 5-pound pot roast will take much longer than boneless chicken pieces or swiss steak.

I don't use a crock pot so I can't help with specifics. Perhaps you should check out some different recipes.

Essie, we, like Andy M, are not fans of crock pots.

And you have asked several questions.

As far as beef goes, if it is falling apart and dry, I agree that it has probably been overcooked. Or perhaps your cooker has a leak in the top that lets the water vapor out.

As far as pot roast goes, slicing it depends upon your choice of meat.

Much prefer a chuck, and then it is usually falling apart, but tender.

One cannot get neat slices from it, but like the flavor.

If one wants to slice the beast, would suggest a round. It will hold together better than the chuck, but to me it is tougher and not as tasty.

Why your chicken breasts are dry I have no idea. You might want to try another pot.

Hmm, I don't really time mine. I put it in about 8 or 9am, put it on low and let it cook until I can flake the outside with a fork. Ususally about 7 or 8 hours. I'm able to slice and it's not dry at all. I don't use pork, didn't like the taste. I will only use boneless beef arm roast. I don't know how any other ones do.

I have never had luck with chicken in a crockpot. I find it is always dry. I have been told to try dark meat on the bone as that should be a juicier end result. I have not tried that yet, but it does make sense.

I cook in a crock pot all the time and the food id never dry. I think your cooking your meats to long. It doesn't take long for chicken to cook. Always remember to put your meats on the bottom of the crock pot and if you use veggies, put them om top.

Part of the issue is Rival is now designing their crockpots to cook with more heat at a faster time. Check the new cookbooks, they are quoting a time of 4-6 hours cooking instead of 8-9 hours.

I have been in deliberations with Rival concerning one of their crockpots I received at Christmas. In my honest opinion it is junk. Everything that is placed into it burns. And to make my point I tried and accomplished water coming to a full boil in the appliance. Even my husband the Engineer was a skeptic, until he saw it with his own eyes.

They are telling me that the new design creates heat more at the bottom and up 2" - 3" on the sides. Working with the fact that heat rises and the lid is always kept on, so the entire sides do not need to be heated. They have not designed the heating coils to accomodate this factor, thereby causing everything to burn, dry out and blow away in the slightest wind.

With the new design you can no longer let it sit and "stew" all day, you have to be on hand to check it quite frequently.

Rival, obviously is on my list this week, as they are stating it is users error not the appliance. My argument is, low and high, not too difficult to handle.....

Brianschef said:
.....With the new design you can no longer let it sit and "stew" all day, you have to be on hand to check it quite frequently.

The reason for a crockpot was to allow your dish to sit & stew all day. Me thinks someone has shot themselves in the foot....

With your chicken, only use breast meat in stir fries or other quick cooking dishes. Use the other cuts for stewing either bone in or deboned, you get much more flavour as well as the meat retaining some moisture.

I've never liked crockpots, they take too long & you can't poke, prod or view whilst cooking. :LOL: (just kidding)

Since I bought a new crock pot two years ago, I found the same thing - if I cooked something 8-10 hours like most recipes call for - it is overcooked and doesn't taste as good. I usually only cook things for 4-5 hours now and find that it tastes much better. I usually don't put it on til early afternoon - but this makes it hard for setting it in the morning before you go to work like I used to do.

I agree! I come home and check it and it is near boiling on low. So I have learned to come home around 10:30 or 11 to turn it on. So much for convenience! Also, I feel adding too much water will dry it out, seems odd, I know. But it seems to steam the meat too much. Just my opinion. A lot of "liquid" is in the crock just from the meat itself.

In the "old" days a crockpot had one temp - 200º F. Then a few years ago they got fancy and added low/high temp settings (200º and 300º F). Now, they have variable temp settings that go up to 375º-400º F. Not your Mama's crockpot.

One of the reasons for the 200ºF temp was that it takes +180ºF to melt the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat (like chuck roast) - which was one of the selling points of the original crockpot.

While having a crockpot was a blessing when I was young, going to college, and working full-time (before the days of microwave ovens) - they were really limited in what they really did well. I haven't owned one since about 1975 - and have never missed it.

Timer

You could plug the crock pot into a timer.... just a thought. I use them for my fish so the lights come on automatically... maybe if you did the same thing, you could save a trip to the house? Personally, I would not buy a timer for this reason, but if you happen to have one handy... well there you go!

I was thinking about replacing my 32 year-old crockpoy as the outside is showing signs of age. From what I've read here, I think I'll keep it until it quits.

Andy M. said:
That leaves a crock pot full of unrefrigerated food for hours. This is a potentially dangerous situation.

You got a point there..... did not even think about that. DOH!

I have noticed that with my newer crockpot too. It's not a problem for me, though, since I'm home all day. But a vension roast takes only 5-6 hours at the most, instead of all day.
The thing I love about it is that it saves me so much time on my feet...those poor old feet and that back are worn out. My recipe makes it's own gravy, and I can get all the vegies in that I need, so it becomes a one-pot meal.

You can never beat a roast that's been seared and braised in a Dutch oven, though. It's still the best. And it makes the best rich, dark brown gravy. :-p

Thank you very much for all the help. I will try another pot roast, cooking it for a shorter time. We'll see!!!!
I do have success in cooking things like stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage. Also, I like to cook soups all night.
Maybe, I'll do chicken, etc. the old fashioned way.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I purchased a slowcooker just a couple of years ago here in New Zealand and while i do not use it as often as I thought I would, I think it is fabulous. It has three heat settings and I find that on the low setting the recipes take the full 8 to 10 hours that the recipe book suggests. The results have all been great. I now cook in bulk and have a freezer full of delicious single serve meals for when I am busy. I like it because it is able to use less expensive cuts of meat into tasty meals.

I am looking for chicken curry / casserole recipes though or recommendations for a good slow cooker recipe book. Any suggestions welcome.

I never use my slow-cooker for poultry, only for beef and pork. I have often made both pulled pork (after smoking in the Webber kettle with chunks of apple wood) and shredded beef, as well as stew and soups with excellent results, even when cooking for 10 to 12 hours or more.

To be successful with meats, one only needs to understand what meat does at different temperatures. At 140 F. or so, it begins to turn gray and the nasty microbles begin to feel the heat. By 145, the microbial pests are dying, but the meat is still tender and juicy. By 165, poultry is completely safe and is white throughout, but still juicy and tender. Between 170 and 175, the muscle fibers begin to tighten, making the meat tougher and squeezing out the moisture. But 180, you're eating cardboard.

Where the heat comes from doesn't matter, be it from hot liquid, a dry oven, contact with a hot surface, or by radiation , either thermal (charcoal/gas-grill/broiler/wood-fire), or elctro-magnetic (microwaves). The meat reacts to the temperature, not the heat source.

My slow cooker has three temperature settings, high, low, and warm. I use high to quickly bring the vessel to temperature, then turn to low until the meat is done to my liking (three to four hours depending on what I'm making), and then on warm, which is designed to keep the food at around 140 to 145 degrees or so. I never let the liquid come to a boil. But I also always remember that there is a place where the meat doesn't follow the rules as stated above.

As meat with significant connecting tissue and fat comes to around 180 degrees, that connecting tissue and fat begins to melt and dissolve into the liquid. I lubricates the individual meat strands, allowing them to slide apart easily (pulled pork and shredded beef, or a wel-done pot roast). The meat will literally fall apart if disturbed, say by lifting it to a platter. So, the best roasts to use for pot roast, and shredded or pulled meat dishes should be lower quality pieces with significant connecting tissue, like a chuck roast, blade roast, brisket, etc. With pork, the roast and other cuts from the shoulder should be used.

Lean mets such as tenderloin, sirloin, round, hams etc., easily dry out and become tough when cooked above 160-165 degrees. So think about what you are trying to make, and choose the right cut of meat for the job.

Oh, one more thing, sausage dry out and become tough when boiled. To add flavor to roasts and sausages, brown in a heavy pan and then add to the slow cooker. Cook on low heat until sufficently done and use the warm setting to hold at the correct temperature until served.

If you understand the nature, the physics of cooking, then you will find yourself a very successful cook indeed.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I made the mistake of giving away my perfectly good 5 qt Rival crockpot to buy a new 6-quarter, and I ended up having to toss it because all the recipes that worked before were burning. Same thing, I contacted Rival and they acted like it was my fault. Just to let you know, I did buy a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 qt crockpot, and it runs at the proper temperature. I will never buy a Rival again, unless they make some sort of announcement that they have changed it back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom