Crock Pot Enchiladas - Is is Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinne

Sous Chef
Mystic, CT - transplanted from Lancaster, PA
Cinco de Mayo party at work on Friday. I would like to do some Enchiladas but the only method I would have to keep them warm is a crock pot.

Has anyone ever done Enchiladas in a crock pot - or kept them warm in a crock pot? I'm wondering what kind of adjustments I'd need to make. More sauce, let's say? And a good-sized layer of sauce on the bottom of the crock pot so things don't dry out & stick? What kind of tortillas - flour or corn? I would normally use flour but will they fall apart? Layers of tortillas with sauce in between?

So, what do ya think?

Thank you!

I've never tried this, but I would think that corn tortillas would hold up better. Since it's going to be in a crock pot, maybe you don't need to roll the meat in the tortillas, but do the layer thing you are thinking about. If you do layer it, maybe you can tear the tortillas up so that it can come out of the crock pot easily.

This is the recipe I want to use:

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas

1 Can Campbell's Chicken Verde soup
1 Cup sour cream Ranch dip
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup Red Hot sauce
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
12 6 inch flour tortillas
3 cups Mexican Blend shredded cheese (or cheddar)

Instructions: Heat oven to 350º. Spray 13 X 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in hot sauce, garlic powder & pepper.

Combine chicken with hot sauce mixture until chicken is coated.

In medium bowl, combine soup & Ranch dip. Spread a thin layer on the bottom of baking dish.

Warm tortillas so they are pliable. Spoon 2 TBSP soup mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture & about 2 TBSP shredded cheese. Fold one side over tortilla & roll up. Place in baking dish, seam side down.

Spread remaining soup mixture over filled tortillas. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until hot.

Remove from oven. Uncover, sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Return to over & bake uncovered about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

If you are going to use a crockpot, definitely make it layered with corn tortillas and the sauce.

If you just want to keep them warm while at work, you might want to prepare them normally, and then make yourself little foil pouches to keep the enchiladas warm. Place your enchilads in the foil pouches with sauce, then crimp them shut, and just layer your pouches all the way up. Corn tortillas are a must though.

Anyone see any reason this might not work? Don't want to give improper advice.

If I were in your situation, I'd just make the filling portion in the crockpot & have a stack of warm flour tortillas next to it with a spoon & just let folks make their own enchiladas or soft tacos. You could warm the tortillas at home & wrap them well in foil before transporting.

Thanks everyone, now I know what I'm going to cook for the Cinco de Mayo party tomorrow! Enchiladas! maybe not in a crock pot, but some day I’d like to try them that way.

Like all the comments on the recipezaar page, my first thoughts were than even corn tortillas were just going to turn to mush.

I'm with preparing a filling in the crockpot, and doing a 'soft taco bar' with both flour and corn tortillas, and lots of different toppings.

I'm afraid some things just aren't made for the crockpot!

BreezyCooking said:
If I were in your situation, I'd just make the filling portion in the crockpot & have a stack of warm flour tortillas next to it with a spoon & just let folks make their own enchiladas or soft tacos. You could warm the tortillas at home & wrap them well in foil before transporting.

Sounds logical to me, and much easier.:chef:

There are a lot of recipes that are adapted to crockpots which really don't need to be -- but are for the convenience of leaving it untended for a long period of time. The reviews of the recipe were very positive and said nothing about the corn tortillas turning to mush--any more than they would in an oven. Don't think I understand the reluctance to use the recipe--if it is wanted to do in the crockpot.

Just a follow-up...
Much to my surprise, with all the different foods there today, the Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas in the crock pot was definitely the most popular - judging by the amount that was left of everything.
I used corn tortillas & layered it until I ran out of the chicken mixture.
Yes, it was a bit mushy but it was wonderful spooned over tortilla chips with a dollop of sour cream on top.
It was an experiment that I wasn't going to try to recreate. As well as it went over, I'm going to have to try to remember exactly what I did!
Thank you to everyone for your assistance. My reputation is intact! :-p

Back
Top Bottom