Do Crock Pots Make Superior Soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+2

The original question was, does a slow cooker make superior soups? So it's about the end result, not the circumstances around making it.

In my experience, slow cookers often overcook the ingredients and the food comes out tasteless and either mushy or dry. Making soup on the stovetop allows you to monitor it, tasting and adjusting as it cooks. It's hard to do that with a slow cooker and keep the temperature where it needs to be.

The exception is making pulled pork or beef when the meat is all you want. When I'm making a pot roast or stew on the stovetop, I leave the lid ajar so the liquid can reduce. This leaves caramelized residue (fond) on the inside of the pot, which is delicious stirred into the food :yum:

And I also also split pea soup in the slow cooker. It turns out great unattended. I don't eat it, but my husband loves it, so this works for us.

The original question was asked in January of 2004. :huh::)

CD

Since you're responding to my comment Rick, let me start with your split pea soup recipe which says it's just like Anderson's. I've often said that Anderson's Split Pea Soup in Buelton Ca. (also canned) is horrible soup in my opinion. I've no idea how they've stayed in business all these years and I've even gone so far as to call it Soylent Green. ;)
If that's what a crockpot does for SP soup, it makes sense.

Yes....I have to have some texture in my split pea soup. I cook the split peas down till they are almost done, then add sautéed onions, carrots, celery and ham (or bacon) and continue simmering until the veggies are tender but not overcooked.

I love the way a slow cooker marries flavors.

But I also love the taste of roasted vegetables and meat over the taste of boiled.

This summer I used the slow cooker to dry-cook / roast meat, like a pork roast for a pulled pork in BBQ sauce meal. Came out great and the kitchen didn't get too hot, as it would have if I'd used the oven.

My favorite beef stew recipe involves putting only a quarter of the vegetables and meat in the slow cooker with beef broth and cognac. I let this cook for several hours. But then I roast the rest of the beef and vegetables in the oven.

A bit before serving, I put everything in the slow cooker and mix. The broth is fantastic, the vegetables are a bit crunchy, and the meat has a roasted flavor.

Next time, I think I'll cook the onions with bacon in a frying pan to get the onions to caramelize. Then I'll add them to the slow cooker at the end. Or perhaps I'll just spoon some on top of bowl of stew. I love caramelized onions.

I can't imagine using a crock pot to make my favourite homemade soups. The roasted vegi bisque only simmers for 10 minutes. The leek and potato soup simmers for 20-30 minutes and for the last ten minutes you are checking if the potatoes and leeks are done yet.

Ive never noticed a difference in the end result of stove top vs crock pot.
That being said, Ive only used it for vegetable soups.

To the slower cookers defense, I probably didnt give it a proper chance, as I am an active cook. I need to have my hands in it at all times, stirring, tasting, adjusting .... Its almost like torture for me to just let it sit all day long without poking around .

Therefore, my opinion means nothing :ROFLMAO:

Ill just sitback and watch everyone else yell at each other.

I once had a meal cooked in a slow cooker (crock pot) back in the '70s. I actually looked forward to it. That was before I tasted it and realized that the meat swam in its own fat during cooking. That was the last time and I will never own a slow cooker (except my outdoor slow cookers). Stove top requires you to pay attention and you are there skimming any fat/impurities that rises to the surface. IMO, that allows the flavors to concentrate and not have that fat to interfere with them. Also good ingredients and proper technique (adding ingredients at the proper time) make for superior taste and quality.

I once had a meal cooked in a slow cooker (crock pot) back in the '70s. I actually looked forward to it. That was before I tasted it and realized that the meat swam in its own fat during cooking. That was the last time and I will never own a slow cooker (except my outdoor slow cookers).
The same applies to Dutch ovens, pressure cookers, and roasting pans. You can get silicone roasting racks to keep the meat out of the fat / juices. You can always trim excess fat, and there is still enough left for flavor.

Slow cookers have their place, if not for the best possible flavor and texture, but for the convenience factor.

The same applies to Dutch ovens, pressure cookers, and roasting pans. You can get silicone roasting racks to keep the meat out of the fat / juices. You can always trim excess fat, and there is still enough left for flavor.

Slow cookers have their place, if not for the best possible flavor and texture, but for the convenience factor.

Did you miss the part where I said you are there to tend to the dish and remove fat/impurities as they rise to the surface? Also how are you going to cook SOUP while using a rack to keep meat out of the fat. Now that would be a great achievement. Don't need a convenience factor, those are for Sunday when we make meals/dishes ahead for the following week.

Hey if you like slow cookers, that is great, just don't try and tell me soups made in them are superior.

Did you miss the part where I said you are there to tend to the dish and remove fat/impurities as they rise to the surface? Also how are you going to cook SOUP while using a rack to keep meat out of the fat. Now that would be a great achievement. Don't need a convenience factor, those are for Sunday when we make meals/dishes ahead for the following week.

Hey if you like slow cookers, that is great, just don't try and tell me soups made in them are superior.
WHOOAA! Relax and re-read both posts. You said meal, not soup, and I never said soups made in a slow cooker are superior. And, there is nothing to prevent you from occasionally skimming in a slow cooker if you choose to do so.

My answer is NO

A covered dutch oven produces the best soups and stews, if you ask me.

Food cooked in a crock pot always has a dull "crock pot taste."

My answer is NO

A covered dutch oven produces the best soups and stews, if you ask me.

Food cooked in a crock pot always has a dull "crock pot taste."

Jenny, I've heard you put it that way before, and every time I've thought you hit the nail on the head. That "crock pot taste" is unmistakable to me too. I don't notice it so much with cooking just a roast for shredding, but the minute other foods are added nothing tastes good to me except the meat.

I have potatoes in my slow cooker right now, waiting for them to get soft for potato soup. I could do that in a kettle, but I used the kettle to make the bacon. For me it's just convenience. The potatoes can cook while I can sit here on the computer without worrying about them.

I am a Cast Iron Dutch Oven cook. I can't provide you with any scientific evidence that a cast iron DO is better, I just know that it is. :cool::D

To me, a crock pot is a convenient way to make a meal. Dump a bunch of stuff in a crock pot, turn it on, and go to work. Nothing wrong with that.

Since my office is upstairs from my kitchen, I don't care about dump and cook. In fact, I look at cooking a soup or stew in a DO as an excuse to get away from my desk and do something fun. I love to stir my soups/stews and smell them, and taste them as they cook.

So, is a crock pot superior? No. Does it do the job? Yes.

We all cook under different conditions. Crock pot soup with wholesome ingredients is certainly better than processed canned soups with chemicals no one can pronounce.

CD

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jenny, I've heard you put it that way before, and every time I've thought you hit the nail on the head. That "crock pot taste" is unmistakable to me too. I don't notice it so much with cooking just a roast for shredding, but the minute other foods are added nothing tastes good to me except the meat.
Sometimes the "crock pot taste" can be traced back to the washing-up of the pot. I don't put mine in the dishwasher because I found it had a peculiar taste even though it looked clean. I now scrub it well in hot water and washing up liquid in the sink and then rinse it well. No " crock pot taste".

Sometimes the "crock pot taste" can be traced back to the washing-up of the pot. I don't put mine in the dishwasher because I found it had a peculiar taste even though it looked clean. I now scrub it well in hot water and washing up liquid in the sink and then rinse it well. No " crock pot taste".

Sorry, but that idea just doesn't fly with me. I've never put that huge pot in the dishwasher and I certainly know how to scrub it perfectly well. :wacko:

No. The crockpot taste has nothing to do with how its washed and has everything to do with how the food is cooked in one.

Read Kenji's article that Andy linked above. He explains everything ….

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

All you people from back in 2004 and those from 2018 should read this article.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

It's a direct comparison of slow cookers vs. dutch ovens vs. pressure cookers. It may not change your mind but it provides some food for thought.

I strongly urge anyone interested in this thread to take the time to read all of this article.

Rick, I sincerely hope you will take particular note of the proof about split pea soup.

Back
Top Bottom