Durban Curry receipe from South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimashswan

Assistant Cook
In a pan heat about 1 tbsp cooking oil, medium heat.
Add 1 onion sliced lengthwise, and about 2 cloves crushed garlic, saute for about 2-3 minutes till onion begins to turn translucent, then add 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1 tbsp curry powder (I used a mixed masala), saute that, till the spices have started to turn to oil (by that I mean they no longer look like powder). Then brown 1kg meat (I used mutton neck) in that mixture. Tip all into the crock, and add 1-2 tins chopped tomatoes. (You can use fresh ones, about 6-8). Mix it all up and leave for about 5 hours on low. Then peel and halve 4 - 6 potatoes, pop them into the SC, mix around a little, and then leave them for another 2 hours, and voila, lamb curry to die for. I served it with rice.

:chef: Enjoy!
Kim

Hi Kim, This looks like a nice recipe. Are you from South Africa? I lived there for 13 years (age 19 to 32), and my family is from there! I'm going to try your recipe.
I will serve with rice, and I'll finely chop up fresh tomato and onion to serve with it (is this called a sambal?).
I think a dry reisling would go nicely - a nice thing to serve for company.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Yep, the chopped tom and onion is called Sambal. Here the indians also add some chopped green chilli to it, for that extra zing! I don't eat it though. :blush:
Where did you stay in S. Africa? I don't think I could leave, I love it too much.
If you want to add some interest to the dish, cook the rice with a 1/4 tsp of turmeric and it will make it yellow, and more colourful :)
Hope it comes out well!

Hi Kim, Tried to post this yesterday - but I think the site was having problems! Thanks for the sambal info! I'll be making the curry on Friday. I am working with a lot of young men from India, and they have taught me to enjoy all sorts of food from different parts of India. As for SA.....for a long time, 9 yrs, I lived in Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape, then my husband and I moved to Cape Town. I do miss SA very much - especially my family, but also the beautiful land - beaches, sun, and the fresh beautiful fruit and veg., the bread(!), the fresh fish, meat pies, samoosas, slap chips!! and just generally, the style of cooking and variety of people and color and art. I adored living in Cape Town. I was born in Thompson, Manitoba, Canada, my parents went there from Zambia (from the copper mines to the nickel). Then they moved to the USA when I was 5 and we lived in a lot of different states, (my dad's job took us all over) but always had a base near his company's head office outside of Detroit, Michigan. We travelled back and forth to SA, and I would go to school there or wherever we happened to be living! I am a bit of a mish-mash of a person, with memories that reference everywhere. All the rest of my family (sister, aunties, uncles, cousins) except my mom, who now lives with me, is in South Africa in Cape Town and outside of Johannesburg.
It's so nice that you've joined here. Nice to meet you! Sorry for the long post!!

Don't stress about the long post. I just can't believe how small the world is.
Please let me know how the curry came out.
They say that a curry never tastes the same as it does in Durban. Even when you use the very same recipe and ingredients in Johannesburg it tastes different. Funny that.

Back
Top Bottom