Everything too watery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have simmered goulash on my gas range over the simmer burner for 5 1/2 hrs. But, I had to keep tending to it, and I had to keep all the windows and doors closed as to not blow out the flame.....hence, my earlier post.

I think we went off course with the OP thread, can this section be moved?

Last edited:
When I do a pot roast or short ribs, etc. I start it on the stovetop and get it to the point of simmering then move it to the oven. Depending on the size of the roast, it is done in 2-4 hours.

Andy, is there a substantial difference in the cooking/reducing time using the oven method for stews or sauces?

As GB said, cooking on the stovetop (or in the oven) takes a lot less time than the same items in a crockpot.

For example, I cook a 4 pound pot roast by starting it on the stovetop and then moving it to the oven. It takes 2.5 - 3 hours of simmering after the browning steps. You can compare that to similar recipes for a crockpot.

Just an FYI, I made the pot roast and it came out awesome!

Mixed a couple of recipes and it worked!
Here's what I did...
Washed it an coated it with lipton onion soup envelope mix. Then I seared it on all sides and put it in the crockpot. added potatos, carrots, salt, pepper, 1 can campbells golden mushroom soup (didn't have any more creamed mushroom) & 1/2 can of water. Checked it every hour or so and took excess liquid out, only left about 1/2 inch of liquid. After about 7 hours of cooking on low I removed liquid first then I basted the top with the thick beef gravy, turned the roast and basted other side. Served after 8 hours of cooking. YUMMMMMM!!

Back
Top Bottom