Fermenting dosa batter in the Instant Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I've had great success using the IP with making yogurt, though I heat the milk in a saucepan, and just put the jars in the IP to ferment for 8 hours.

Yesterday I used the Instant Pot for fermenting another food - Dosa. This is an Indian flatbread, made with a combination of rice and lentils, which are soaked, then ground to a paste, then thinned to a batter, and fermented.

I used the yogurt mode, adjusted to low, which is the lower temp, for fermenting jiu niang, which I found was around 90°. Since dosa is made mostly in southern India, this would probably
be a "cool" room temperature there, and it took a whole day to ferment! I haven't cooked it, yet - I just put it out on my back porch, to cool.

I used a cup and a third of parboiled rice, and a half cup of urad dal, soaked about 8 hours. They were drained and rinsed, saving the lentil soaking water, then blended on high speed in the Vitamix. It got very thick, almost like glue, until I added a lot more water than they suggested. I put it in a 3 qt SS pan, covered with plastic, and set it in the IP, setiing the yogurt mode to low, which automatically sets to 24 hrs. I had almost forgotten about it, when the beeper went off last night! :LOL:

The stuff looks like a sourdough rye sponge, the gray coming from the black skins of the urad dal. Usually, they are split and hulled, but these were the ones that were split, but not hulled.
Dosa, before fermenting. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After fermenting 24 hours:
Dosa fermenting by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom