How much water (black beans)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'll be cooking a black bean recipe in the crock pot this week. I had a nice recipe but I cannot find it now. I'll be including 1 pound of dry black beans along with.

celery
onion
kielbasa
canadian bacon
bacon
diced tomato

How much water would be appropriate something like this in the crock pot? 2 cups? 4 cups?

And let those babies cook untilv very tender before adding any acidic ingredients to the beans. Salt and most herbs and spices are ok. But don't add any tomato, vinaiger, or acidic veggies as they will cause the bean protiens to toughen quickly, resulting in hard-tough beans.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Put the beans in water and bring to a boil. Turn off and let sit for an hour. Then add the other ingredients. At least an inch should be fine. The pre-boiling will cut down your time a lot.

Andy M. said:
Cover the beans and other ingredients by at least an inch.

I follow the 1" rule for soaked beans but I add at least 2" of water above the beans for unsoaked beans. Your mileage may vary, but I like my beans on the moist and soupy side.

I just love beans!

Last edited:
I never had much luck with dried beans in my crock pot, they just never seemed to get done. =/

:heart:
Z

If you soak the beans, in water for an hour, that will cut the cooking hour by half or even less. I usually soak beans, after an hour, I drain and then add more water, then boil before I actually cook.Have a lovely beenie day.Mr.Dove.:chef: Btw, whats kielbasa?

From Wikipedia

Wiejska kielbasa

Various brands of kielbasa

Kielbasa (in English usually pronounced /kiːlˈbɑːsə/ or /kɪlˈbɑ:sə/; in Polish spelled kiełbasa and pronounced [kʲewˈbasa] listen (help·info) is the generic Polish word for sausage.

Sausage is a staple of Polish cuisine, and comes in dozens of varieties, smoked or fresh, but almost always based on pork (although in some areas, it is possible to get it in beef, horse, lamb, turkey, or even bison). Every region has its own speciality. Popular types include kabanosy (thin, air dried sausage flavoured with caraway seed), krakowska (a thick, straight sausage hot smoked with pepper and garlic - name comes from Krakow), and wiejska (a large U-shaped pork and veal sausage with marjoram and garlic - name meaning "a country one", pronounced in Polish /ˈvʲejska/). In the U.S., "kielbasa" or "Polish sausage" almost always means some form of wiejska (although often not U-shaped and seldom containing veal), which may be fully- or part-smoked or unsmoked.

:heart:
Z

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom