ISO Slow Cooker recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi i am getting a new kitchen which means its a hassle to think of what to cook. We have a slow cooker which is a god send and a bbq with a hob but thats a pain to use unless its hot outside but even in late june england is still chilly so wont use that until its mid 70s here.

Anywho i am asking the DC community for recipes which i can cook using a slow cooker. I would like to start by asking for a recipe for irish stew. Now the work in the kitchen will be on and off prob till september so feel free to add recipes here for as long as you want and i will try and keep the thread alive till the kitchen is complete.

Thanking you all in advance.

First of all, congrats on your new kitchen!!! When I was gutting and putting in my kitchen last year, I used my slow cookers and microwave almost constantly. Sadly, I didn't know how to cook so I can't really contribute much in the way of recipes. Will you have your fridge during the process?

That's a help. I actually lost weight during the 2 months it took because I had to eat a lot of fresh, raw foods. Tell us about the plans for your new kitchen. Is it a total remodel? New appliances? Cabinets? We thrive on details here. Also, be sure and take before and after pics.

Hi i am getting a new kitchen which means its a hassle to think of what to cook. We have a slow cooker which is a god send and a bbq with a hob but thats a pain to use unless its hot outside but even in late june england is still chilly so wont use that until its mid 70s here.

Anywho i am asking the DC community for recipes which i can cook using a slow cooker. I would like to start by asking for a recipe for irish stew. Now the work in the kitchen will be on and off prob till september so feel free to add recipes here for as long as you want and i will try and keep the thread alive till the kitchen is complete.

Thanking you all in advance.

Here's a search for lamb in the Slow Cooker sub-forum on this board.

And here's a Web site full of crockpot recipes: tasty crockpot recipes | crock pot recipes | slow cooker recipes including one for Irish Stew.

We renovated our kitchen starting in early May last year. We did a lot of grilling; I don't know what your set-up is like, but if you can, you might reconsider using the grill more. With indirect heat, and the right heavy-duty cookware (like cast-iron), you can use the grill, covered, as an oven.

We also used the microwave a lot. I posted a method for making rice in the microwave: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=465760&postcount=8 HTH.

complete new applicances . I am blessed with a huge kitchen 20 ft by 15 ft so i wanna captalise on the space and pleasure my every whim in the kitchen.

We move to the current house in 1988 and i suspect the kitchen was done in the late 70s too the highest standards but after 25-30 yrs it started to break down after continual use and i cant wait to have a more modern brighter kitchen . Ill take pics when its done if your interested.

Keep those recipes coming lol

complete new applicances . I am blessed with a huge kitchen 20 ft by 15 ft so i wanna captalise on the space and pleasure my every whim in the kitchen.

We move to the current house in 1988 and i suspect the kitchen was done in the late 70s too the highest standards but after 25-30 yrs it started to break down after continual use and i cant wait to have a more modern brighter kitchen . Ill take pics when its done if your interested.

Keep those recipes coming lol
Oh, that's fantastic. Your kitchen is huge! And yes, I demand pictures so I can drool over them.

Will do,it will be difficult to work out what i need as i am getting an induction hob which means i have to get new saucepans i think.

Last edited:
This is one I plan to make very soon!!

Cheesey Crock Pot Potatoes!:mrgreen: (my cheesey grin)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
8 med. potatoes (2 lbs) scrubbed and sliced
8 oz. cream cheese (cut in 1 in. cubes)
4 scallions finely chopped

In one small bowl combine scallions and garlic. In another small bowl combine salt and pepper.
In greased crock, layer 1/4 potatoes.
Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper and top with 1/3 cream cheese, then 1/3 scallion/garlic mix.
Make a second layer of 1/4 potatoes, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Top with 1/2 remaining cheese and scallion/garlic mix. Repeat with third layer of potatoes, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, top with remaining cheese and scallion/garlic mix. Make final layer of potatoes and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Cover, cook on high for 3 hrs. Stir to distribute melted cheese, cover and cook for about an hour longer. Stir well to mash slightly and serve.

Here are some of my favs:

Sticky Chicken
4 tsp salt 2 t paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper 1 t onion powder
1 tsp thyme 1 t white pepper
1/2 ts garlic powder ½ t black pepper
1 large roasting chicken 1 c chopped onions

Combine all spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, inside and out. Place in resealable bag and refrigerate over night. Put chicken in crock pot with no liquid. Cook on low 8 hours. This will be make its own juices and be very tender!

Roast Beef and Gravy
1 boneless beef chuck (3 lbs)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/3 c sherry, wine or beef broth
1 envelope onion soup mix

Cut roast in half, place in cooker. Combine ingredients and pour over roast.

Crock Chili

3 lbs ground beef
3 packages spice
2 cans tomatoes
1 can sauce
1 can beans

Brown beef on stovetop, drain. Dump in crockpot!

San Francisco Chops
4 bone in chips (1 inch thick) 1-2 T vegetable oil
¼ c soy sauce ¼ c red wine or chicken broth
2 T brown sugar ¼ t crushed red pepper flakes
1 T cornstarch 1 T cold water

Brown chops in skillet on both sides – transfer to crock pot.
Add garlic to drippings, cook and stir for one minute. Stir in soy sauce, wine or broth, brown sugar and red pepper flakes, cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over chops.
Cook on low until meat is tender. Remove chops.
Combine cornstarch in cold water. Until smooth. Gradually add to slow cooker. Return chops to cooker and cook additional 30 minutes or until thickened.

Cranberry Pork Roast
1 (2-1/2 lb) boneless pork shoulder roast (I use roast supreme)
1 c sweetened dried cranberries
½ c chicken broth
1 t shredded orange peel
½ c cranberry juice – DIVIDED

2 T cornstarch (I use 3)

Combine first five ingredients and only ¼ cup cranberry juice.
Pour over roast and cook til tender.
Remove roast and let sit – combine cornstarch with remaining ¼ cranberry juice.
Pour drippings from crock pot into saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture. Stir until thick.

Apple Glazed Roast Pork
4 lb. pork loin
6 apples
¼ c apple juice
3 T brown sugar
1 t ground ginger

Rub roast with salt and pepper, brown under broiler to remove excess fat, drain well.
Core and quarter apples and place in bottom of crockpot, place roast on top of apples.
Combine apple juice, brown sugar and ginger and spoon over roast, moistening well.
Cook til done.

Crock Turkey Breast
Turkey breast (6-7 lbs) 1 onion
2 t vegetable oil 4 cloves garlic

Rinse turkey and pat dry. Rub with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place breast side down – place garlic and onion around the breast.
Cook until 170 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom