My Best Slumgullion Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I love American goulash. My mom made it with ground beef, canned stewed tomato, Nd chopped onion, all mixed into cooked elbow macaroni
My Dad's version was more complex, using rotini noodles, a flavorcul meat sauce made with Italin herbs, green peppers, onions, and lots of ground beef. It was well loved at hunting camp.

My Goulash is patterned after my Dad's version. I prefer cavatapi noodles, and adding seperate herbs, rather thanstore boght Italian seasoning. I also throw in a lttle cayenne pepper, and make my sauce watery. I cook the noodles right in the sauce. The starches from the pasta helps the sauce adhere to the pasta. The pasta ansorbs the excess wate, giving me a thick, and rich sauce.

Hear's my recipe:
1 box cavatapi noodles
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cups tomato puree
1 large yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 tsp, cayenne pepper
3 tbs. chiffinade of Italian parsley
1/2 tsp. dried oregan
1 tsp. dried sweet basil
1/4 tsp. ground rosemary
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
3 clove garlic, minced
12 oz. sliced mushrooms
1.5 lbs. ground beef
2 cups water

Roughly chop veggies. Heat large Dutch oven over medium-hifh heat. Add ground beef, and break into chunks. Seaon with salt and pepper to taste. Add veggies, garlic, and herbs. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove lid and add tomato products. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes to break down the cherry tomatoes. Add the water, and stir well. Add the noodles. Bring the pot to a light boil. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Serve hot with brschetta, or garlic bread, and grated hard Italian cheese.

This goulash is fantastic, but takes more effort. It also uses better ingredients. I'm not sure it can be called American goulash, slumgullion, or the other names assocated with the original version. I do know that everyone who has tried my version loves it. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom