My Instant Pot® Experience So Far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
So far, I've tried 8 different items cooked in my new
Instant Pot® that I got back in October.

IMG_6466.jpg

Isn't she so pretty?

I read an article prior to making my purchase, and it
suggested that you keep a journal of your attempts.
Actually, I've used my Instant Pot® EIGHT times, not 7
as previously stated.
:blush:

1) Calrose Rice - horrible fail!

2) Fresh Corn On The Cob - I could have had that side dish ready on the stove-top MUCH faster!

3) Hard Boiled Eggs - again, waste of time and they were over cooked - even though I followed a well loved IP influencer.

4) Baked Potatoes - they came out unevenly cooked. I was going for a 'baked' potato, I wasn't going to mash them --- NEXT!

5) Spare Ribs - DING DING DING! We have a winner! I put my own dry rub on three ribs, popped that in the IP for 17 minutes and then on to a screamin' hot grill to char up with my homemade Sauce, DELICOUS!!!

6) (this one I totally forgot about `cuz I tossed it out!) Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup - :yuk: ACK! The Half and half curdled!

7) Egg Bites - Meh, they were passable, but too much work for basically a crust-less Quiche.

8) Cheesecake #17 Recipe - this is a pretty descent tasting and looking cake, but so OCD, they put my husband to shame! :LOL: And can I also add that whilst creating this cake, I was so stressed out!

In conclusion, I'm still not really sold on the Instant Pot® to be honest.
I guess I'll need to keep on trying. :hammer:

Last edited:
I'm with you. I've had one for several years. I never have warmed up to it. The only thing I find it useful for are tough cuts of meat that need to simmer a long time, like in a stew. It's kind of like when sous vide first became the 'in thing'. People were trying to do everything in it. It's good for some things, the rest is silly.

The IP is good for chicken stock.

I'm with you. I've had one for several years. I never have warmed up to it. The only thing I find it useful for are tough cuts of meat that need to simmer a long time, like in a stew. It's kind of like when sous vide first became the 'in thing'. People were trying to do everything in it. It's good for some things, the rest is silly.

The IP is good for chicken stock.

Agreed SS!!
That's another reason why I'm so glad that I got this on sale for $49 !!

Oh and I'm still waiting for the SV to drop somemore in price, soon, soon!!

Not a fan either but I have friends who rave about the cooker. Got mine at Goodwill for $8 am glad I didn't spend any more for it. Just doesn't ring my chimes. Besides it's another appliance that takes up counter/cabinet space.

Not a fan either but I have friends who rave about the cooker. Got mine at Goodwill for $8 am glad I didn't spend any more for it. Just doesn't ring my chimes. Besides it's another appliance that takes up counter/cabinet space.

I hear ya Katie!
I bought a 6 quart IP and I store it in the walk-in pantry, but man!
It takes up alot of real estate!

I remember starting this thread a while back (I think I had 21? small appliances at the time) ... since then, I've added
on I think, 4 more, maybe ? :ermm: :LOL:

A lot of these things don't get used much when they are put away, instead of leaving on a kitchen counter. Digging out a multi-cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, a Foodsaver, or anything like that, to use it, then put it away again, is time consuming and a p.i.t.a., which is why some never get into using them much. Mine sits on a counter, and I can use it whenever I need it. I use it frequently, esp. for cooking grains and legumes, and I use it even more in the summer, as it emits less heat and steam than stovetop cooking. I'm not one that touts it for doing everything, in some of those one dish meals - like browning the mushrooms and sausage for the dish I made yesterday. I did that on the stovetop, in two other pans, while using the IP for other functions. The IP is simply too small for some things, even though recipes often say to use it for these functions. Maybe it can be done, but unless this is all you have, why bother?

Besides the grains and legumes, hard boiled eggs are another thing I use the IP for all the time. Another is making yogurt - up to 4 pints at a time. This is another thing I don't do entirely in the IP - I heat the milk on the stovetop, in a 4 qt saucepan, then cool, and use the IP only for curing the yogurt.

I got rid of my rice cooker and slow cooker, and one of my pressure cookers, when I got this IP...I think going on 4 or 5 years now?

Another is making yogurt - up to 4 pints at a time. This is another thing I don't do entirely in the IP - I heat the milk on the stovetop, in a 4 qt saucepan, then cool, and use the IP only for curing the yogurt.

How long does the yogurt keep? Do you save money by making your own?

How long does the yogurt keep? Do you save money by making your own?
It definitely saves money, and often I want whole milk yogurt, and that's even more expensive, if available. I have kept yogurt more than a couple of months, with no problems. Never had any go bad - I guess the acidity helps preserve it. I sterilize the pint jars, and the lids; though adding the milk at 110° doesn't sterilize like adding boiling water, for pickling, but starting with the sterilized jars and lids I'm sure helps it last longer.

[bump]
I have been using my Instant Pot® a bit more lately.
Today I made Split Pea Soup with Ham Hock Broth and then picked meat.
View attachment 66655
Not to break my arm patting myself on the back, but that is the best Pea Soup I've ever had.
I make pea soup all the time in my IP. its delicious and hardly more work than opening a can. Well, I like to chop veggies.

Yours looks great !

I don't have one yet. I'm a late adopter of most new things because it is less expensive to do it that way and that's how we are. I would probably buy a used one if I got one.

@pepperhead212 does the IP do well rehydrating things that are hard to rehydrate, like dried eggplant or watermelon rind or zucchini or mushrooms? Any thoughts on that?

I have a stove top pressure cooker, and it hardly ever gets used.
Unless I am in a real hurry and I got some real tough meat

@blissful I have a 6 quart model that was on sale for I think $50 at Walmart. It was a line that was being discontinued. You may want to look for that type too. They are always bringing out newer-greater models with a million different function buttons. I only ever use the saute and manual cook buttons. Seem to recall someone saying that they found one at Goodwill.

Back
Top Bottom