OLD crock pot with stoneware liner question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary b

Cook
Hello,

I have an old, (about 25 yrs.) J.C. Penny crock pot that is a combination crock pot/deep fryer. The crock pot has a heavy ceramic "stoneware" liner that goes inside. The pot the liner goes into is coated with teflon. When I'm doing slow cooker recipes or "slow cooking", do I cook WITH or WITHOUT the stoneware ceramic liner?? Also, the dial for temperature goes from simmer up to 400 degrees, and some recipes I see calls for a settings of LO-MED-HIGH. What simmer/degree settings, on the old pot, correspond to "LO,MED,and HIGH? I don't have the instruction manual, and any help will be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get some "set it and forget it" type recipes for slow cookers?

Thanks,
Gary

I have one of these also. It's a pretty neat combo. The outside metal cooker can be used as a deep fat fryer--or if you wanted to and the recipe called for browning your meat, you could do it in that. Or it can be used for simmering something, for example.
For the slow cooking you use the stoneware liner. Low if for all day cooking.

On the old crockpots (which actually had only two settings - plugged in and unplugged) and the newer ones (with low and high settings) and the even newer ones with low-med-hi ...

LO = 200 F
MED = 250 F
HI = 300 F

If it ever quits working...don't throw away the crock! It's the greatest for holding utensils on your counter since it's so heavy it doesn't get knocked over!

Does anyone know where I can purchase one of those combo units. I have been looking for one for quite a while, and I am wondering if anyone still makes those combos at all. Thanks.

There is a new one. Google for crockpot deep fryer combo . But I will tell you that the use as a deep fryer is not terribly good and the newer deep fryers would do better for you.

Back
Top Bottom