One dish (almost) Instant Pot curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I was in the mood for some Indian type dish, so I threw together something in the Instant Pot, using those mustard greens (something still coming from the garden), and some beans and turkey, from the freezer. I do a lot of these in the IP, with the only extra pot being the little pot for the tarka - a small 1 qt saucepan that is great for these tarkas.

I started with some chopped onion in a little oil on sauté mode, then added a tb of minced garlic, along with some sambar masala and vidaloo masala, to cook a minute, then turned it off, and added some water, to stop the cooking.

I then put about 2 qts of mizuna and komatsuna leaves in the VM, added 3 c water, and liquefied the mixture. I added this to the IP, then rinsed out the VM with 2 c water, and added that to the IP, along with 1 c rinsed toor dal. I brought it to a boil on sauté mode, and meanwhile, toasted 1/2 c hulled millet, and added that to the mix. I added salt to taste (about 1½ tsp, with more later), and set it to pressure cook 10 min. After this, the pressure released in 15 minutes, and I added 12 oz thawed long beans and 12 oz thawed, cooked turkey, and 1/4 c red lentils (to thicken it some), and let it cook on slow cook high, for about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the tarka, to temper the dish at the end:

2 tb vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp whole cumin seed
5 or 6 dry Thai peppers
about 12 fresh curry leaves
1/2 tsp asafoetida

I heated oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, until shimmering; added the mustard seed and covered with splatter screen. When mustard seed stopped popping, I added the peppers and cumin and cooked 10 or 15 seconds. Added the leaves and asafoetida, cooked about 10 seconds, then added this mix to the curry. I added a little more salt, stirred in about 4 tb chopped cilantro, and the dish was done. Served with some pickles on the side, in place of chutney.
Mustard greens sambar curry, before adding the beans and turkey. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mustard greens sambar curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I made some curry today - something I started by taking an old rutabaga out of the fridge, which was actually growing sprouts! I got almost 1 1/2 lbs diced flesh from it, and I have been having a craving for some curry, after seeing some photos a couple of nights ago.

This was another almost a one dish meal in the Instant Pot - I also had to make the tarka in that small saucepan. I started with some chopped onion in some ghee on sauté mode, and after about 10 min, added a lot of garlic, plus some tomato paste, a little over a tb of sambar masala, and cooked another 2 minutes, then added some water, to deglaze, and added the remainder of 6 c water. Then I added 3/4 c each channa dal and moong dal (the split, but not dehulled type, so the skin is still on them), and about a cup of steel cut oats; not traditional, but wanted to use up the little bit from the new package that wouldn't fit in the quart jar. I cooked these for 1 1/2 hours on med-slow cook, then added the diced rutabaga, and cooked another hour. Then I added a lb of diced, boneless chicken thighs, and a tb of the garam masala I just made, and about 1 1/2 c yogurt, which I blended with 3/4 tsp xanthan gum - this kept it from curdling, while cooking. After this, the rutabaga was just right. I added another tsp of the new garam masala, and about 1/2 c chopped cilantro, and cooked about 5 minutes, while making the tarka.

The tarka was 2 tsp mustard seed, popped in 2 tb oil, then 2 tsp cumin seed and 8 dried chiles, cooked until peppers brown, then 1/2 tsp asafoetida and about 20 curry leaves, cooked briefly, cooked briefly, then dumped in the curry. This tempering takes under a minute, start to finish.
Rutabaga/chicken curry, being made in the Instant Pot. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ingredients for the tarka, for the rutabaga curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished tarka, ready to stir into the rutabaga curry, to cook about 5 minutes more. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished rutabaga/chicken curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom