Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I thought too so was surprised at the outcome. There was one other thing I neglected to mention; the cream cheese never seems to have integrated itself into the food, there were still very small chunks that stuck to forks and knives. Wasn't particularly concerned just noticed it and thought it should have completely melted. Maybe that is related to introducing the yogurt at the beginning.

I reluctantly stirred it at some point after seeing chunks of cream cheese still sitting on top. As I understand it as a neophyte slow cooker user one shouldn't take the top off the cooker at anytime during the cooking process (heat loss and all that). I guess I'll have to modify my thinking from now on.

Again, it is rather tasty, I put the leftovers in the refrigerator so we have a few meals to go with it before I try another recipe and there are more I want to try.

My cooker is a Hamiltpn-Beach Set and Forget with a glass top so I can see what's cooking, well, through the condensation that is.

I use 3 different slow cookers, 2 are mine and one is my mothers. All of them have a fairly hot "low" setting, I think with yours you might try with it on high for a couple of hours to get things nice and hot, then back to low to maintain a decent temp.

Also, make sure you were on low and not on the warm setting. I have actually seen a couple slow cookers that had a low, medium and high settings, where the low was actually what most cookers use for warm.

I doubt there is such a thing as a consistent recipe for slow cookers. There's just nothing consistent about a crockpot! The temp is always a mystery according to what brand it is, how old it is, what exactly is meant by "low" and "high" settings, it's really a crap shoot any way you look at it. For the life of me, I can't understand how they've been around so long. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Agreed! I took my crockpots to the thrift shop years ago and got a Nesco Roaster. You can adjust the settings to the temp you want. I love mine, as do many of us here. You can brown roasts on high heat at 450, adjust the heat level down for slow cooking at 250, then an even lower 175 for warming...and anything in between.

Plus, the heating elements are around the sides, not just on the bottom, so you get more even cooking.

The newer 'crockpots' have such high settings, even on 'low'. Nesco roasters allow you to adjust the temp to what you want. I love it and wouldn't be without it.

6 Qt. Ivory Roaster with Nescote® Non-Stick Cookwell

Last edited:
I doubt there is such a thing as a consistent recipe for slow cookers. There's just nothing consistent about a crockpot! The temp is always a mystery according to what brand it is, how old it is, what exactly is meant by "low" and "high" settings, it's really a crap shoot any way you look at it. For the life of me, I can't understand how they've been around so long. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :rolleyes:;)

I completely disagree, yes sometimes they are inconsistent between brands but once you know the one you have you can get a great result almost every time. During the fall and winter I use mine all the time, often running two at the same time. I would not want to be without mine.

I completely disagree, yes sometimes they are inconsistent between brands but once you know the one you have you can get a great result almost every time. During the fall and winter I use mine all the time, often running two at the same time. I would not want to be without mine.

What points do you disagree with Bossman? My point is I want to be in total control of the heat, not the crockpot.
If you've never used a Nesco 6 qt. Roaster, you have no idea what you're missing with your crockpot loyalty.

What points do you disagree with Bossman? My point is I want to be in total control of the heat, not the crockpot.
If you've never used a Nesco 6 qt. Roaster, you have no idea what you're missing with your crockpot loyalty.

I disagree that they are inconsistent. Once you learn your crockpot, unless it malfunctions, it should perform exactly the same every time. No, they are not perfect for everything. However having 6-8 meals in my rotation that I can throw together the night before and turn on when I wake up in the morning and be ready when supper time comes around is a god send. Not to mention making soups, chilis and stews and keeping them hot.

Edit: you do have me looking up the Nesco Roaster however...

Most recipes also should work well from crockpot to crockpot. I think part of the problem with this recipe too, is I did not do a good job explaining the preparation and cooking. I didn't explain that I make sure the cream cheese is softened and mix it together with the sour cream, soup and herbs before I put it in the crockpot, then I mix it well with the potatoes and kielbasa once its in the crockpot. I also stir it once an hour or so once it gets hot. Ro3bert didn't know that and I think it caused some if the issues he had. I am new to sharing recipes so hopefully I do a better job going forward.

Last edited:
IMO, there is nothing that a crock pot can do that a dutch oven can't do, besides take up counter space.:ermm::LOL: Everyone knows I leave our low and slow cooking to the Horizon and Egg.;)

This is an easy meal to throw together the night before and turn on in the slow cooker when you get up in the morning. I actually prepare it right in the slow cooker insert and then stick in in the fridge for the next morning. It does not sound like much but it turns out wonderful.

2 lbs of Kielbasa, sliced very thin
3 lbs of potatoes cubed (I prefer Yukon Golds)
1 softened 8oz package of cream cheese
8oz of sour cream
1can cream of something soup
1 packet or 3 tablespoons of dry ranch mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon pepper

Toss everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Its a filling an hearty meal that tastes very good. The sauce I also use on meatballs to make kind of like Swedish meatballs.

Enjoy!:chef:
But you could knock this together in about 30 minutes in an ordinary pan. Don't get me wrong I love my (2) slow cookers but I only use them for casseroles, dried beans and anything that really requires long cooking.

My wife and I both love Kielbasa so I am going to make it tomorrow.

I have one question though, I've read/heard that one can substitute yogurt for sour cream and since I have plenty of yogurt (Greek) I'd like to use that in place of the sour cream.

Any thoughts?
Would need someting to stabilise it (flour or corn starch, perhaps) as yoghourt splits if cooked too hot or to long

I use my slow cooker all the time, especially in summer when it gets hot. I make refried beans in it at least once a month and I love cooking ribs in it as well. The ribs get so tender I can just use a fork and eat them and the bones come out slick as a whistle.

And I hate to say it, but I am a stirrer. I have noticed though, that when I stir the beans as they're boiling in the crock pot, the temp does drop but when I put the lid back on, the beans start boiling again right away. So I don't think it loses that much heat.

+1 from here too Cheryl. My 6 qt. Nesco Roaster is the best purchase I ever made, more than 20 yrs ago!!

From reading posts concerning Nesco Roasters, and at my daughters urging, I'm convinced that I need to have one.. My HB slow cooker is 4qt so, I'm thinking the 5qt Nesco will be fine for me...

Ross

I'm certain you'll be really happy with it Ross. I used it just last night for Chicken Cacciatore and the 6qt. is great for the two of us with leftovers. Another plus is that size with full temperature control, is the same price range as a crockpot.

+1, Kay. :)

I especially love that it has a high enough temp to sear meats, and then dial back down to slow cook them, all in the same pot.

Ross, I'm heading out the door now to do a little grocery shopping so I don't have time to pull it up, but if you do a quick search you can find the online instruction manual which includes many recipes. Lots of information there. :chef:

Last edited:

I especially love that it has a high enough temp to sear meats, and then dial back down to slow cook them, all in the same pot.

Ross, I'm heading out the door now to do a little grocery shopping so I don't have time to pull it up, but if you do a quick search you can find the online instruction manual which includes many recipes. Lots of information there. :chef:

Thank you Cheryl.... I have checked much of the available information..
When we returned to Cali, from Missouri, we stayed with my daughter for a few months.. During that time she (we) did rib roasts, chuck roasts, chicken and other items in her roaster.. ( She lived in the hot San Joaquin Valley)
I was impressed but, have not purchased one because its "another appliance" and I just didn't want another as we were downsizing.. I am strongly considering a roaster because
(1) I am just not enthralled with the slow cooker as I once was.
(2) because I like roasting things and believe that using my stove each time is a waste of my time and energy.. :)

Ross

I bookmarked this; I see much of my day tomorrow being occupied there. Thanks!

:chef:

I didn't realize you could sear in the roaster. That is a nice feature.

Also, did someone mention using a crock pot for casseroles earlier? I have never made a casserole in a crock pot. Granted, I rarely use mine, but I can't imagine a casserole in anything but the oven.

My only decision now is which model to buy.. Of course I won't buy the most expensive one.. I'm leaning towards one of the the 6qt models, but can go a little larger if it makes a difference..

My daughters is not a Nesco.. Its large enough to roast a 4 bone standing rib roast or a small turkey (12lb).. The rib roast and poultry were/are as good as any I have done in my oven..

My question to the class is... What size roast can be done in a 6qt and how have roasts and poultry turned out for you?
I ask because I want reviews from people I trust, not the manufacturers standard sales pitch.. This may well be the last appliance I buy..

Ross

I've only done pot roasts in mine Ross, and they turn out great. Many years ago when I bought it, I could find a whole chicken small enough for the 6qt, but these days the whole chickens in the grocery are far too big for it. I know I wouldn't use a larger one than the 6qt often enough for just the two of us. I sure do remember my Gma's 18qt. Nesco Roaster Turkey though. It was the best ever! The company is even older than you and me. ;):-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom