Slow cooker timing question (kind of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Hoping to start my stew tomorrow (thurs) and then finish it off of Saturday all in the slow cooker. Will do all the normal things, dredge meat in seasoned flour, brown on pan, then add tomatoe puree, some anchovy puree, dab of worchestire, stock, bay leave etc.

My question is if I cook it for an hour or so in the slow cooker is it ok to then cool and leave till saturday morning and then simmer for 8/10 hours on sat in the slow cooker.

Also if I put the potatoes in sat morning can I presume they'll be cooked okay by sat evening.

I normally do all the 8/10 hour cooking straight away and then either eat that evening or reheat fast (ie not in slow cooker) a day or 2 later. I just won't have the time this sat morning to do all the prep and cooking so this will be my first time doing it like this. (I also don't really have the time tomorrow evening to let it on for 8/10 hours although I could at a push let it on overnight - would love to see kids faces friday morning if I told them they were have stew for breakfast :ROFLMAO:)

I have also previously done this with a stew on the stove top in a pot as opposed to slow cooker and it worked out fine.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hoping to start my stew tomorrow (thurs) and then finish it off of Saturday all in the slow cooker. Will do all the normal things, dredge meat in seasoned flour, brown on pan, then add tomatoe puree, some anchovy puree, dab of worchestire, stock, bay leave etc.

My question is if I cook it for an hour or so in the slow cooker is it ok to then cool and leave till saturday morning and then simmer for 8/10 hours on sat in the slow cooker.

Also if I put the potatoes in sat morning can I presume they'll be cooked okay by sat evening.

I normally do all the 8/10 hour cooking straight away and then either eat that evening or reheat fast (ie not in slow cooker) a day or 2 later. I just won't have the time this sat morning to do all the prep and cooking so this will be my first time doing it like this. (I also don't really have the time tomorrow evening to let it on for 8/10 hours although I could at a push let it on overnight - would love to see kids faces friday morning if I told them they were have stew for breakfast :ROFLMAO:)

I have also previously done this with a stew on the stove top in a pot as opposed to slow cooker and it worked out fine.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sounds good, as long as you refrigerate it. That's too long to leave food at room temp. Just sayin'.

You've allowed yourself plenty of time to bring it back up to a simmer, so don't take a chance of ruining it or making yourself (or anyone else) sick.

Also sitting in the fridge for a day will develop the flavors nicely.:chef:

Just amending slightly what Zhizara said, you don't need to cook it for an hour in the slow cooker. Just get it to the point where it would go in the slow cooker, let it cool, cover tightly and refrigerate it. And make sure it comes out of the fridge at least an hour before you put it in the SC, preferably 2 hours. Also diced spuds going in when you start the SC is more than enough time to cook them, in fact depending on the size of the dices, could be too much time.

Thanks for that, have gone as far as MSC suggested so all ready to go into fridge untill Sat morning :chef:

Back
Top Bottom