Slow cooker vs. crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I always thought that they were one and the same. My friend told me not so. What is the difference?

I'd be interested, too, to learn the difference. I have always thought the terms were interchangeable. And, if I remember correctly, there may have been a thread or a large portion of another thread where this was discussed. I'm sure someone will weigh in soon.

Miss Elaine...

"Crock Pot" is a registered trademark of the Rival Company. Any other company making a slow cooker obviously cannot use the name. Instead they call their product a "slow cooker" A Crock Pot made my Rival is a slow cooker.

Enjoy

Exactly right.

Rival makes slow cookers and gives them the brand name Crockpot. Other make slowcookers and have to call them slowcookers or some name other than Crockpot.

I agree, but has anyone seen how they have changed? I remember my mom's old one, it was one piece with lid, no removable crock, and it cooked low and slow, nothing ever came to a boil in it. If it said it took 8 hours that's what it took. I have one now that within 2hours the liquid is boiling and it's on low! The only way to slow it is to crack the lid a little to let some of the steam out.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
I agree, but has anyone seen how they have changed? I remember my mom's old one, it was one piece with lid, no removable crock, and it cooked low and slow, nothing ever came to a boil in it. If it said it took 8 hours that's what it took. I have one now that within 2hours the liquid is boiling and it's on low! The only way to slow it is to crack the lid a little to let some of the steam out.

kadesma:)
Fortunately, kadesma, I don't have a new crockpot. I still have the one I bought in the early '70s. I also bought another one just like at at a yard sale a couple of years ago. Paid $2 for the second one and, believe it or not, I've had both of them going at the same time. They're the large-sized ones so I can cook for an army. I've also bought several smaller, older, ones when I don't need something that large. Love my old crockpots!

I have a lot of trouble cleaning something that cannot be immersed in water and has a cord dangling from it. Do you think that the new eraser products would work for the final cleaning? (That is to say after you have removed all the food stuff from the pot.)

well,i have two slow cookers.
one is called a crock pot but one is called a slow cooker.

they ARE exactly the same:rolleyes: and both have removable pots.

Now that we have that clear...does anyone have an Crock Pot Recipes to share? I recently received on as a gift and want to use my gift.
Recipe you have made and enjoyed. Thanks

Thanks all for clearing that up for me. I guess I have a crockpot! As for recipes I have used it for almost everything that I would cook in a pot or oven that requires a length of time. I adjust some parts like the liquid.

Aria said:
Now that we have that clear...does anyone have an Crock Pot Recipes to share? I recently received on as a gift and want to use my gift.
Recipe you have made and enjoyed. Thanks

I do lamb shanks in mine with some red currant and red wine and a sprig of rosemary and a small stock cube and a little water and it's really good.:)

You can use it for almost any casserole or chicken quarters with whatever seasoning and herbs you fancy.
Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker

Last edited:
At school I was often called 'slow' by one particular teacher, but not a cooker!

I borrowed my daughter in law's crockpot last Thanksgiving because I wanted to do a double batch of my dressing. The one in her pot dried out and was terrible. Definitely ran much hotter than mine. Mine is probably 10 years old - not that old, but it runs low & slow.

I couldn't find a crock pot in England, so I bought a slow cooker called a "curry cooker" which is exactly like my mum's old crockpot, except it's a gorgeous shade of purple, and because of the dodgy branding and the weird colour, it was half price (and it's Kenwood)

I adore it. Best thing I ever bought!

Back
Top Bottom