Slow Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
Have you got any favourite slow cooker recipes that you use over and over?
If so will you share them somewhere?:)

braised lamb shanks are my favorite slow cooked food. Just the basics, Sear in a hot pan, then onion, garlic, carrot, celery, garlic, bay, thyme and rosemary, tomato paste, garlic, brown stock or chix stock, garlic, and red wine. YUM.
But I've never understood why they are so expensive. $5 - $7 per pound?

elcameron said:
braised lamb shanks are my favorite slow cooked food. Just the basics, Sear in a hot pan, then onion, garlic, carrot, celery, garlic, bay, thyme and rosemary, tomato paste, garlic, brown stock or chix stock, garlic, and red wine. YUM.
But I've never understood why they are so expensive. $5 - $7 per pound?

I did lamb shanks the other weekend in the slow cooker, with onion, carrot, redwine and redcurrant sauce etc and the were seriously gorgeous!!:)

I got a new crockpot, used it once for a potluck at work. Put it on the floor in the back seat of the car, when he moved his seat back, it went crunch. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I never had time to figure out favourite recipes. Sorry.:LOL:

My sister Dotties short ribs. they are seriously awesome. The recipe should be in the slow cooking section on this site.

Half Baked said:
:LOL: HEY! What do you mean by that? :cool:

NOT a ThING!! I'm in NC!! But others might think that the only recipes in there are for road kill and grits. ;o)

1 2-3lb pot roast
1 envelope of good seasons italian dressing mix
1 jar of pepperoncini's hot or mild with juice

Put it all in the crockpot for 8-10 hours on low, shredd the meat, and wow! Great italian beef! Gets raves every time I make it.

Crockpot "cassoulet"
Put a layer of onions in the bottom of a crockpot.Add 2 cans of cannellini beans, drained. Put in a chicken. cut up a pound of smoked sausage. Pour over the chicken 1/2 C white wine and 2C chicken broth. Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve with quartered new potatoes.

I made this the other day and I think my crockpot controls are reversed--it cooked pretty high and the chicken was VERY done. However, it was good and the broth was TDF.
I took the leftovers--potatoes included--added a large can of tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce, shredded the chicken, put it in a stockpot and simmered a half hour. VOILA, pretty good Brunswick stew.

Candocook, Thanks for the Slow Cooking website. I would have never thought of Chicken and Sausage together. Sounds Yummy

This has become a favorite at our house: Lemon Chicken
2 to 3 Pound chicken (I use chicken breasts)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cooking oil(I use evoo)
1 6-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate,thawed
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
hot cooked rice

Combine the flour with 1-1/4 teaspoons salt; coat chicken thoroughly.

Brown chicken pieces on all sides in hot oil;drain. Transfer to Crock Pot. Stir together the lemonade concentrate,brown sugar, catsup and vinegar;pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high setting for 3 to 4 hours. Remove chicken pour cooking liquid into saucepan. Return chicken to cooker cover to keep warm. Skim fat from reserved liquid. Blend cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into hot liquid. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Serve chicken with gravy over hot cooked rice. Makes 6 servings.

Back
Top Bottom