"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Instant Pot, Crock-Pot & All-in-One Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

Using Instant Pot for slow cooking

I made something today in the IP slow cooker regular mode, that I thought I'd share. While I usually make most of my lentil dishes (and other legume dishes) in the pressure cook mode, this is one that I always make in the slow cook - middle setting. It is much easier to not overcook, this way. This is something that I used to do in a regular slow cooker, as well, though it takes much longer, since it took longer to heat up, and (at least the one I had) was slightly lower in temperature (though some are actually too high, or even too low, when Consumer Reports tested them). This lentil salad I make, using chana dal, I set a separate timer for 1:40 (better than having to re-set the IP), and start checking the lentils, to get them just to that al dente stage (I stopped at 2:00). I also usually add some grains - freekeh is a favorite in this, and I add this with about 50 minutes left on the timer, as it takes less time. Other grains, like spelt, might take longer, and I'll start those early.

Beware about using this method with large dried beans - some shouldn't be cooked in slow cookers, due to the PHA (lectins) which needs higher temperatures to lower the levels. Red kidneys are the worst for this.

Tags
cook, cooking, instant pot