Using Instant Pot for slow cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I made something today in the IP slow cooker regular mode, that I thought I'd share. While I usually make most of my lentil dishes (and other legume dishes) in the pressure cook mode, this is one that I always make in the slow cook - middle setting. It is much easier to not overcook, this way. This is something that I used to do in a regular slow cooker, as well, though it takes much longer, since it took longer to heat up, and (at least the one I had) was slightly lower in temperature (though some are actually too high, or even too low, when Consumer Reports tested them). This lentil salad I make, using chana dal, I set a separate timer for 1:40 (better than having to re-set the IP), and start checking the lentils, to get them just to that al dente stage (I stopped at 2:00). I also usually add some grains - freekeh is a favorite in this, and I add this with about 50 minutes left on the timer, as it takes less time. Other grains, like spelt, might take longer, and I'll start those early.

Beware about using this method with large dried beans - some shouldn't be cooked in slow cookers, due to the PHA (lectins) which needs higher temperatures to lower the levels. Red kidneys are the worst for this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't understand why use a slow cooker method when pressure is faster. I personally have given my slow cooker away and am still adapting all my slow cooker recipes to my IP now, the pressure method that is. It's faster. :yum:

I'm sorry but I don't understand why use a slow cooker method when pressure is faster. I personally have given my slow cooker away and am still adapting all my slow cooker recipes to my IP now, the pressure method that is. It's faster. :yum:

Pepperhead wrote:

While I usually make most of my lentil dishes (and other legume dishes) in the pressure cook mode, this is one that I always make in the slow cook - middle setting. It is much easier to not overcook, this way.
(emphasis is mine)

I keep my slow cooker for chili, pot roast, beef stew, etc. I love my Instant Pot and use it one an extremely regular basis, but I've found through trial error that the IP is no replacement for things that need a low, slow cook for maximum flavor and tenderness. My slow cooker isn't used as often as it used to be, but it is still used when I want something to cook overnight to save me the trouble of prepping and cooking the day of. Sometimes I don't want to prep, saute, measure and make a mess in the morning. I'd rather just get up and have stew already ready for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom