What's the Best Size Crockpot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliansmom

Assistant Cook
Hi All
I just ordered a 6 qt. crockpot that also comes with a 1 qt "crock-ette". Not sure what to use that for lol, but I'm wondering if 6qt is big enough to feed 3 adults and very small child! I've had a crockpot in the past, but got rid of my last one when I moved from ON to AB. Just did basic recipes and what not. I'm planning on this one getting LOTS of use!

Amanda

It does depend on how many you are cooking for. I have an 8qt. crockpot for 2 adults and three kids and it fits, so I would guess your 6qt. should work fine for you and your family.
The 1qt is good for college kids, or so they advertise, but I have heard of some using them to slow cook certain sauces but I don't have any recipes myself. They are also good for soup for a lite lunch to go with sandwiches.

My theory is you can always cook lesser amounts in a larger vessel and still get by. If that "small" child grows up to be an eating machine you already have the larger size to increase your amounts without buying another one. I think your 6-quart will do just fine. And the crockette can be used for things like artichoke dip or other such dips that need to stay warm. It could even keep dressing warm or mashed potatoes warm if need be.

ah. very nice :) Thanks. I figured I'd stumble across a reason to use it in a recipe somewhere. Sounds like it'll be big enough! My son's 1.5yr old and is a big eater now for his size so I'm thinking that'll probably continue since most of my family was the same way.

We just don't eat good enough meals anymore what with work, and the commute etc. so hopefully this'll help. It's great that there's a whole section for this so I can get some ideas :)

Did somebody change the title of my thread? I could've sworn that It was something different....

Yes, I changed your title to reflect the content. This prevents someone from having to open it to see what it's about. If someone doesn't "do crockpots" they don't have to open it. :chef:

I bet the crockette comes in handy!

I have 3 different size crockpots. A 4 qt. 5 qt and 8 qt.. I use them all for different reasons. The 5 qt. is oval, so its nice for different cuts of meat. I like the 4 qt. for most vegetable's. The 8 qt. is great for stews and soups.

i prefer the oval shape, better for legs of lamb etc...:)

I have a 6 and 1 qt also. The 6 qt makes enough for 2 adults with leftovers for another meal, so you should have more than enough. I like the 1 qt for sauces, dips and also for small appetizers lik bbq-mini meatballs, or bbq-mini sausages. It makes just enough and keeps them warm.

Back
Top Bottom