2 corn cooking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Question # 1 Corn on the Cob
Ive boiled corn probably 100's of times over the years, but never quite thought about it. So my question is, can corn on the cob be boiled for too long, and if so , what is the window of time from just enough to too much ?

I probably boil it for about 10 minutes + / - , I never really thought about it, and Ive never had much of an issue. I did recently see something where they said to toss the corn in the water, bring to a boil, once bois cover and turn it off and let it stand for 10 minutes. I think I tried that and it worked well also.

Question #2 Hominy
Im planning on tossing hominy ( out of the can) into my chili. My question is, is hominy something that can be added at the beginning and cook throughout the process, or will it break down too much over time, therefore, only to add the last 10 15 minutes ( or whatever). ?

my grandfather - who was a mega-organic gardener - had corn patch sides and top enclosed (deer+other critters) would in the pre=SE/SSE era - refuse to even _pick_ the corn ears until the pot water was at a boil.

the modern SSE varieties are much more forgiving - however comma but comma and so on . . .

schuck, boil water, plunk in ears, 12 minutes.

hominy - it's stable. you can cook it long or "re-heat" short.

When I cook corn in the house, I microwave it for a few minutes. No need to wait for a lot of water to heat up. When we grill, we love doing corn on the grill - it gets nice and charred yummmm :yum:

Agree with dcSaute about hominy - you can put it in whenever you want. It doesn't really break down at all.

Last edited:
Since seeing the Youtube video, we've been microwaving our corn in the husk. Not only is is perfectly cooked, the cleanup is minimal.

Since seeing the Youtube video, we've been microwaving our corn in the husk. Not only is is perfectly cooked, the cleanup is minimal.

Ive done it that way, with success. But sometimes with a group of people, throwing them in a pot is more efficient. When its just the two of us, I'll consider the microwave ( but im stubborn and stuck in my ways, and usually boil the water anyway :LOL: ). In the warmer months Ill toss them on the grill too.

I never boil past 7 to yen minutes as the water will absorb corn flavor from the corn, and the kernals will lose their crisp textue. As long as the water is boiling, the number of ears doesn't matter.

The idea of placing the ears into a copd pot of water, covering, and bringing it to a boil, then removing the heat and letting it sit for ten minutes is great. It. Will prevent over-cooling. With corn, you are pasteurizing rather than cooking.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom