A big bag of chili peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicahawk

Assistant Cook
On the edge of the South Central Kansas rolling Re
A friend from Nebraska brought me some peppers over the weekend and I think I've got the different types right.

Correct me if I'm wrong. There's Hungarian, Habaneros, Anaheim, and Green Chile.

Will share a few with next door neighbors, use some, dehydrate a few, and try to roast and freeze some. Gotta "do a google" on how to roast them....never tried that before.

Looks like roasting them on the grill works for me. I'll try it.

Attachments

• Peppers (800 x 533).jpg
    Peppers (800 x 533).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 177
to roast them jsut hit them up on a flame/burner until the outside is charred. keep turning it.

put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 5 minutes. pull of charred skin. and bam!!!

roasted peppers

I roast them in the oven - it's a lot easier when you have a lot of them. Turn on the broiler. Remove the stems, seed them if you want, cut them in half, and put them, cut side down, on a cookie sheet. Put under the broiler for 8 minutes, remove peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam; I usually leave them for 15 minutes. Then peel. You can use them as is, or freeze for later. HTH.

The Hungarian Wax, Mexican Greens, & Anaheims are perfect for roasting, but I'd leave the Habaneros as is. Roasting doesn't do anything to improve their incendiary heat & fruity flavor, plus it's not only a real pain (figuratively & literally) to peel them. If I were you I'd just enjoy them in an incendiary salsa &/or some good Caribbean recipes.

Oh, & when roasting & then steaming the others prior to peeling them - keep you face away from the steam!!!! The fumes + your eyeballs & sinuses aren't a fun match.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I tried roasting peppers last night for the first time. I was grilling chicken the other side of the grill so while waiting for the chicken I thru some Chile peppers on the other side.

I hope I did this right. I turned them so the skin would blacken on all sides. I didn't remove the seeds before I started and I'm thinking maybe I should have. Always next time.

When they were black I placed them on a plate inside a lg zip lock bag and let them steam until they cooled down, removed the skins and froze them.

Attachments

• Roasting Peppers(600 x 399).jpg
    Roasting Peppers(600 x 399).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Roasted Pepps(600 x 399).jpg
    Roasted Pepps(600 x 399).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Pepps in bag(600 x 399).jpg
    Pepps in bag(600 x 399).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 181

Latest posts

Back