A succotash recipe from my antique, out of print cookbook find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a succotash recipe I kind of stole from Sara Moulton. She's short and easy to beat up, so it wasn't hard to take it from her.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ pound sliced bacon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small onion, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 garlic cloves, minced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tablespoons cider vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup chopped fresh basil [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stir in corn, jalapeno, lima beans, and tomatoes and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sauté [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top. [/FONT]

I at one time had her email address. I invited her to join DC. It never happened. Poor girl doesn't know what she's missing.:mellow:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, that's too bad. Here she could be herself and we would encourage that! We are rather silly at times.:wacko:

Silly!:ohmy: Who's silly. Why, one day I was told to be sober in all things. That was 335 years ago. I haven't been silly, not one time since then. I took a job as court jester during the time of Henry the Eighth. I was told that if I wasn't silly enough, I would be beheaded. I've been walking around headless ever since.:mrgreen:

What ever happened to that that "Tall Tales" thread we had a few years back. I don't recall anyone showing much interest. That's sad. We could also use a "Fractured Fairy Tales" thread, or maybe more in line with this sight, a "Fractured Old Wive's Tales" thread.

Did I ever tell you 'bout the time I nearly went over Niagara Falls?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
These sound great. The two recipes I have are the following:

From the Charleston Receipts cookbook, dated 1950.

1/2 cup sieva or butter beans
1/2 cup raw corn
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Boil sieva beans in salted water until almost done, add tender raw corn, cut from cob, and cook until both are tender. Drain. Add butter, seasoning and serve. Serves 4

The second recipe is from a modern cookbook called More White Trash Cooking.

3 cups okra
1/3 pound bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup corn
Salt to taste

Boil and drain your okra to get the slime off. In a large skillet, brown the bacon. Add the onion, pepper and garlic. Now mix in the okra and stir. Next, throw in the tomatoes, corn and salt. Succotash should simmer on low for about an hour.

Last edited:
Phinz, I have Charleston Receipts and also the original White Trash Cooking! They appeared during my interest in southern cooking.

I have White Trash Cooking, More White Trash Cooking and Swamp Cooking. I love them! I used to have about 4-5 different copies of Charleston Receipts but I gave up all my extras and kept my original one.

I also have my great-grandmother's 1950s copy of Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. The recipe in it for winter succotash says the following:

1 1/2 c canned whole kernel corn
1 1/2 c canned lima beans
2 tbs butter or margarine
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cream or top milk

Drain vegetables; add remaining ingredients and heat in double boiler. Makes 6 servings.

I altered this recipe to what I had on hand. I also believe that it can be "veganised". It is VERY important that you buy the green lima beans from the frozen vegetable section. Otherwise you won't get the same result and a much inferior dish. The recipe is meant for fresh vegetables but I have yet to find fresh green lima beans.

Lima Bean And Corn Succotash

2 cups lima beans (I used two packages frozen green lima beans)
1 T sugar
1 t pepper (I used black)
3 T butter (a vegan substitute can be made here)
3 cups raw corn kernels (about two drained cans or two regular frozen packs) I used canned bc that's what I had available. I think fresh cut or frozen would be tastier.
1 t salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/4 c milk or cream (I used 2% milk bc that's what I had on hand but next time I'll use whole milk). A vegan substitute can be made here
1 t grated onion or onion juice. I used dry onion powder. NOT onion salt.

Combine ingredients in a sauce pan. Let simmer slowly 20 minutes and serve. Yields six servings as a side dish but I think it's good enough for a main dish.
It's a long time since you posted this but I found it again while rooting for another thread. Just a question.

I can't find Lima beans over here. Could I use frozen baby broad beans? They look similar to the limas on Wikipaedia. (Sorry, broad beans = fava beans - shades of Hannibal Lecter).

I have to feed my vegan friends soon.

I would think fava beans would be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom