A succotash recipe from my antique, out of print cookbook find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think fava beans would be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Thanks. I've tried recipes for succotash before and they have been less than exciting but this one looks very promising.

Off to the shops tomorrow morning to pick up some frozen beans.

Thanks. I've tried recipes for succotash before and they have been less than exciting but this one looks very promising.

Off to the shops tomorrow morning to pick up some frozen beans.

Happy eating. BTW, succotash was one of the first dishes the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims to make back in 1620 when they first land here in our Plymouth. :angel:

My Mom was a wonderful cook, but her succotash was...well...disappointing. It had milk, big fat dry lima beans, yellow corn and that was IT.

Then one year, Dad discovered soybeans and I haven't touched succotash since. But I might get this recipe a try!

My Mom was a wonderful cook, but her succotash was...well...disappointing. It had milk, big fat dry lima beans, yellow corn and that was IT.

Then one year, Dad discovered soybeans and I haven't touched succotash since. But I might get this recipe a try!

Your mother probably used dried beans. No wonder you didn't like it. You have to use fresh or even canned if you can't find the fresh or frozen ones. Made with cream or even half and half makes it taste so rich.

Half and half, fresh or frozen lima beans, fresh or frozen corn with salt and pepper and you think you are having a king's feast. :angel:

Your mother probably used dried beans. No wonder you didn't like it. You have to use fresh or even canned if you can't find the fresh or frozen ones. Made with cream or even half and half makes it taste so rich.

Half and half, fresh or frozen lima beans, fresh or frozen corn with salt and pepper and you think you are having a king's feast. :angel:

I think you're right. I'll try it! Thanks, Addie. :angel:

Yes, fresh Fava Beans will work...along with a nice Chianti.

Don't forget the liver...

img_1373029_0_ab34be8bd66876fedef424a6d37b8bdf.gif

The recipes I've tried have involved dried beans and no cream so that was probably why I didn't take to it.

Dried limas have a very different taste and texture from the fresh ones.

As far as I am concerned, the only good use for dried lima beans is to teach kids how to grow them in a glass jar on a wet paper towel.

And yes, dried baby lima beans can be good in a long cooking soup with a smoked ham hock in the freezing cold of the winter. :angel:

That reminds me, I have some pearl barley. And some cut up stew beef in the freezer. Every so often we will have a cold spell during the summer. A good time for beef stew with barley in my new slow cooker. I love the barley with lamb. :angel:

I've bumped this because I have to make succotash this week for the photoshoot. I'm not impressed with the recipe. I was wondering about pan-roasting 1/2 of the corn, roasting 1/2 red pepper, and adding some grated jalapeno? Fresh basil and thyme. How important is adding cream?

I've bumped this because I have to make succotash this week for the photoshoot. I'm not impressed with the recipe. I was wondering about pan-roasting 1/2 of the corn, roasting 1/2 red pepper, and adding some grated jalapeno? Fresh basil and thyme. How important is adding cream?

I like the roasted corn idea, and the roasted peppers. But maybe make it a summer sensation by roasting over charcoal, giving it a beautiful and eye catching hint of char. Replace the Lima beans found in traditional succotash with some black beans, and add sliced onion as well. That would be a succotash I'd enjoy either hot, or cold.

Just an idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwidn of the North

I like the roasted corn idea, and the roasted peppers. But maybe make it a summer sensation by roasting over charcoal, giving it a beautiful and eye catching hint of char. Replace the Lima beans found in traditional succotash with some black beans, and add sliced onion as well. That would be a succotash I'd enjoy either hot, or cold.

Just an idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwidn of the North
Wish that I could roast over charcoal, but we can't assume that people can do that. No beans in the recipe, zucchini. No tomato, either, but I'm thinking of adding both and like the idea of sliced onion--my choice would be purple. There isn't any cream in the recipe--wondering if that is essential?

Wish that I could roast over charcoal, but we can't assume that people can do that. No beans in the recipe, zucchini. No tomato, either, but I'm thinking of adding both and like the idea of sliced onion--my choice would be purple. There isn't any cream in the recipe--wondering if that is essential?

How about a light browning under the broiler for the color, or even dry frying in a heavy pan, or even in a little sunflower oil? But then again, you don't know the skill level of those making the dish. They might just fill up their homes with smoke.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How about introducing your readers to oven roasted sweet corn.

Preheat the oven to 450F, husk the corn, rub/drizzle with melted butter or oil, sprinkle with whatever herbs and spices you enjoy, place on a rimmed baking sheet, roast for 20-30 minutes.

If you use corn on the cob, milk the cob with the back of a table knife to get all the corn milk. It will enhance the corn flavor. :angel:

If you use corn on the cob, milk the cob with the back of a table knife to get all the corn milk. It will enhance the corn flavor. :angel:
Thanks, Addie. I am using corn on the cob. Not available locally yet, but I know my sweet corn and know which variety I would use. The photos have to be taken in advance, so I'll use US corn and we'll offer the recipe when local sweet corn is on every corner.

I just sent "the boss" an email about my concerns that the recipe doesn't have enough depth of flavor and thoughts about how to enhance the recipe without changing it (well, not too much). I'm going to give it a test drive tomorrow evening (I have to go grocery shopping) with the enhancements. I'll bring that in on Wednesday and have enough ingredients to do it "as written" and then with CWS' version of the same so we can get the photos of both at the same time. We'll see which one gets the thumbs' up. I am not impressed with the recipes this "professional recipe developer" sold to the boss. We've kicked a number of them back.

Last edited:
Thanks, Addie. I am using corn on the cob. Not available locally yet, but I know my sweet corn and know which variety I would use. The photos have to be taken in advance, so I'll use US corn and we'll offer the recipe when local sweet corn is on every corner.

I just sent "the boss" an email about my concerns that the recipe doesn't have enough depth of flavor and thoughts about how to enhance the recipe without changing it (well, not too much). I'm going to give it a test drive tomorrow evening (I have to go grocery shopping) with the enhancements. I'll bring that in on Wednesday and have enough ingredients to do it "as written" and then with CWS' version of the same so we can get the photos of both at the same time. We'll see which one gets the thumbs' up. I am not impressed with the recipes this "professional recipe developer" sold to the boss. We've kicked a number of them back.

Any time I make corn chowder, I not only use cream style canned corn, but for the kernel corn, I use corn on the cob and always milk the cob. That is when the real flavor and taste of the corn comes through. In fact, I would rather have the corn milk than the corn itself. :angel:

Any time I make corn chowder, I not only use cream style canned corn, but for the kernel corn, I use corn on the cob and always milk the cob. That is when the real flavor and taste of the corn comes through. In fact, I would rather have the corn milk than the corn itself. :angel:

If I need strong corn flavor in a creamy dish, I cut the cob into four pieces and throw them into the pot. Then, I remove them and discard when it's time to present whatever it is that I'm making.

Also, I don't use sweet corn for corn chowder, but hominy. It's more authentic to my heritage, and in my opinion, tastes better for that purpose. Sweet corn makes a wonderful corn pudding, and of course is great as a side dish, in succotash, and at a barbecue.

Addie, I'm not saying that your chowder is not good, or even great. In fact, most recipes for corn chowder call for sweet corn, or a combination of cream corn and sweet corn. I'm just saying that it's not right for me.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom