A succotash recipe from my antique, out of print cookbook find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
I altered this recipe to what I had on hand. I also believe that it can be "veganised". It is VERY important that you buy the green lima beans from the frozen vegetable section. Otherwise you won't get the same result and a much inferior dish. The recipe is meant for fresh vegetables but I have yet to find fresh green lima beans.

Lima Bean And Corn Succotash

2 cups lima beans (I used two packages frozen green lima beans)
1 T sugar
1 t pepper (I used black)
3 T butter (a vegan substitute can be made here)
3 cups raw corn kernels (about two drained cans or two regular frozen packs) I used canned bc that's what I had available. I think fresh cut or frozen would be tastier.
1 t salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/4 c milk or cream (I used 2% milk bc that's what I had on hand but next time I'll use whole milk). A vegan substitute can be made here
1 t grated onion or onion juice. I used dry onion powder. NOT onion salt.

Combine ingredients in a sauce pan. Let simmer slowly 20 minutes and serve. Yields six servings as a side dish but I think it's good enough for a main dish.

I altered this recipe to what I had on hand. I also believe that it can be "veganised". It is VERY important that you buy the green lima beans from the frozen vegetable section. Otherwise you won't get the same result and a much inferior dish. The recipe is meant for fresh vegetables but I have yet to find fresh green lima beans.

Lima Bean And Corn Succotash

2 cups lima beans (I used two packages frozen green lima beans)
1 T sugar
1 t pepper (I used black)
3 T butter (a vegan substitute can be made here)
3 cups raw corn kernels (about two drained cans or two regular frozen packs) I used canned bc that's what I had available. I think fresh cut or frozen would be tastier.
1 t salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/4 c milk or cream (I used 2% milk bc that's what I had on hand but next time I'll use whole milk). A vegan substitute can be made here
1 t grated onion or onion juice. I used dry onion powder. NOT onion salt.

Combine ingredients in a sauce pan. Let simmer slowly 20 minutes and serve. Yields six servings as a side dish but I think it's good enough for a main dish.
I'm going to save this and try it. I've had several dishes of succotash in my time and never took to it but this sounds a bit more interesting.

I'm going to save this and try it. I've had several dishes of succotash in my time and never took to it but this sounds a bit more interesting.

The secret to a great succotash is baby lima beans. Not the regular size ones. My mother used to make it and I wasn't very fond of it. Then a neighbor in Washington made it with the baby lima beans and I fell in love with it. :angel:

You are most certainly correct. Otherwise they're dry and tasteless.

And don't try to rehydrate the dried ones. No matter how small they are. They are gross. The only thing they are good for is in a soup that has been cooked for a looong time after they have been rehydrated. :angel:

Brings back memories of when I was very young and my brother and I would go to Grandma's for dinner on an occasional Saturday night, when our parents went out. I loved succotash - my brother, not so much. :) I never thought of making creamed succotash. I do like baby lima beans. Thank you for sharing, fairygirl.

I tried dried limas once, ONCE. lol

The only thing they are REALLY good for is a science project for small kids. Take a dried bean, place it in an empty clean jar on a pile of wet paper towels. Then watch it start to bloom in a couple of days. When it gets big enough, plant it outside. You can either let it then go to seed or pick them when they are babies. :angel:

You just have to make sure you keep that paper towel wet. Then if you pick the beans, the kids will only be to happy to eat something they grew. It is a lot of lessons in one. It shows the kids where our food comes from, and it also shows them how plants grow. :angel:

When I was a kid my mother made succotash using canned creamed corn. I loved it, but my husband doesn't so I rarely make it. It reminds me of my childhood.

Thanks for this recipe, I love succotash...and lima beans of any age. Just have to cook them right for their age.

I've always liked succotash, but to me the secret ingredient that makes it especially good is bacon. :yum:

Many years ago, I had a girlfriend who made it with okra. To this day, that and gumbo were the only two dishes I liked that contained okra.

When I was a kid my mother made succotash using canned creamed corn. I loved it, but my husband doesn't so I rarely make it. It reminds me of my childhood.

I love the idea of using the creamed corn. Will keep it in mind for future use. Thanks. :angel:

You just have to make sure you keep that paper towel wet. Then if you pick the beans, the kids will only be to happy to eat something they grew. It is a lot of lessons in one. It shows the kids where our food comes from, and it also shows them how plants grow. :angel:

If you do the science experiment, do not let the kids eat the raw Lima beans. Lima Beans in the U.S. are safer to use as most of the bean's natural defensive mechanism has been bread out of them. But if you don't know where teh beans come from, do not eat them raw. Even if you do, I wouldn't eat them raw. The same is true of several edible beans. Lima and kidney beans should never be eaten raw. Those that have found their way into a can have been cooked before canning.

Raw Lima beans contain a specific poison that is rendered harmless by boiling for at least 10 minutes. Some beans, such as castor beans, are very poisonous, and yet castor oil can be consumed.

Take a quick look at this - 10 Everyday Fruits and Vegetables that are Poisonous to get an idea of some of the common foods that we eat, and what parts of them, or even the food itself, is poisonous.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here's a succotash recipe I kind of stole from Sara Moulton. She's short and easy to beat up, so it wasn't hard to take it from her.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SUFFERIN’ SUCCOTASH[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ pound sliced bacon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small onion, chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 garlic cloves, minced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¾ pound cherry tomatoes (1 pint), halved[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tablespoons cider vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup chopped fresh basil [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stir in corn, jalapeno, lima beans, and tomatoes and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sauté [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom