Acorn squash recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Bake it, scoop it and make gnocci with it. Another good candidate for sage butter sauce.:yum:

Acorn squash recipe, please?

we get these pretty squashes this time of year..

I think the last time, I baked it ,halved it, and put jelly in it..

I also like Snip 33's interesting recipe here..

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/gem-squash-with-sweetcorn-and-cheese-tnt-82518.html

I love the pix of the can of corn..

it says, "Koo, it's the best you can do!"

Ha Ha, why do I find that so funny?!

Eric, Austin Tx.
Eric,
this is one my kids love we do a lot now. in 400 oven, put 2 squash that are cut in half and de-seeded. put them cut side up in a baking dish, Mix together 2 Teas. fresh lemon juice,1/4 cup raisins, 1-1/2 cups of applesauce,,1/4 cup brown sugar,and 3-4 Tab. chopped walnuts. Spoon this mixture into the cavaties of the squash. now dot with butter,pour1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the baking dish and bake for 30 min.Covered. remove cover and bake for 30 min. more. This is great with a pork roast, green or fruit salad .
kades

Acorn squash recipe, please?

we get these pretty squashes this time of year..

I think the last time, I baked it ,halved it, and put jelly in it..

I also like Snip 33's interesting recipe here..

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/gem-squash-with-sweetcorn-and-cheese-tnt-82518.html

I love the pix of the can of corn..

it says, "Koo, it's the best you can do!"

Ha Ha, why do I find that so funny?!

Eric, Austin Tx.

I'll also find it funny. The best you can do? :wacko:

Acorn squash would be good with my sweetcorn recipe or even stuffed with curried minced beef, topped with a layer of bechemel and grated cheese.

We like them stuffed. I use a mixture of stuffing bread cubes, apples, onions, and walnuts. Toss everything with just enough chicken or vegetable stick to moisten and season it with a little curry powder and S&P. Bake at 400-425 until everything is browned and the squash can be easily pierced with a fork.

We like them stuffed. I use a mixture of stuffing bread cubes, apples, onions, and walnuts. Toss everything with just enough chicken or vegetable stick to moisten and season it with a little curry powder and S&P. Bake at 400-425 until everything is browned and the squash can be easily pierced with a fork.
That sounds fantastic. Will give it a try and thank you.
kades

We like this one, lots. I've used sunflower seeds when I didn't have pepitas and I'm sure any other nut would work as well:

Acorn Squash with Lime & Honey Glazed Peanuts & Pepitas

2 acorn squash cut into 8 wedges
1/4 cup unsalted pepitas
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
1/4 teaspoon lime zest
juice of 1/2 lime
3 tablespoons quality honey
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the squash flesh with olive oil and roast (flesh side down) until tender, about 45 minutes.

Toast the pepitas and peanuts over medium heat, in a dry skillet, until they begin to pop and smell good. Remove from heat.

Whisk together lime juice, lime zest, honey, water, vinegar, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt.

Add the sauce to the pan of toasted peanuts and pepitas. Heat until the sauce begins to bubble & thicken. Remove from heat and drizzle over the cooked squash. Serve immediately.

I have put dark brown sugar and butter in them and baked and also a standard bread stuffing with sage and melted butter. Baked. Served with rice. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom