Anyone else not like the taste of tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I ate in a Italian restaurant yesterday and the meal was heavy on tomatoes. I could hardly eat it.

Well, to be fair, a lot of Italian food is heavy on the tomato thing. Maybe get something different next time, or ask them to go easy on the tomato sauces.

I personally love tomatoes. Whether they're from my local farmer's market or the ones I grow myself, I eat my weight in tomatoes every summer :LOL:

I´m curious to know what dish was "heavy" on tomatoes.
Me? I can eat them raw, baked, fried, sliced,boiled, poached, sautéed, sundried, confit - just give me more!!

I do love tomatoes. In the summer we do taste tests of different ones against each other. The white tomato is noticeably sweeter and less acidic than the reds.

I love them, but they seem to be causing inflammation in my hands.

Never noticed it before, but I've been experimentingand it seems to be the culprit.

I'm another tomato lover, but I can imagine some sauce that could be heavy on the tomato - maybe paste added - and not enough other flavors. Once I start getting tomatoes from the garden in the summer, not a day goes by that I don't have something with tomatoes, until they start to fizzle out. One of the reasons I love basil so much, too, and started growing that in the off season.

I ate in a Italian restaurant yesterday and the meal was heavy on tomatoes. I could hardly eat it.

Well, georgevan, you've certainly flushed out the tomato lovers.

Are you saying the meal was more heavy on tomatoes than usual or that any tomato dish is too much?

I wonder why you went to an Italian restaurant if you dislike tomatoes.

I love them, but they seem to be causing inflammation in my hands.

Never noticed it before, but I've been experimentingand it seems to be the culprit.

Oh, my! I would be concerned that there might be similar issues in the GI? Do you have issues with other nightshades? It isn't uncommon.

Here is an idea that may work for you, or not.
Let's say tomatoes cause the inflammation while science says it is anti-inflammatory.

So logically, and methodically, you go on a very strict anti-inflammation elimination diet. You try it and you get mixed results. Is it the cooked tomatoes, or the fresh tomatoes.

Is it all nightshades or just tomatoes, so you try potatoes or peppers.
It takes a long time to get through all the weeks it takes to get a good idea of what you are eating and seeing and feeling the inflammation.

So to make things go a little quicker, do something that appears to be clearer. Fast completely, water only until your symptoms are not there. (people talk about how a complete fast before surgery relieves all their inflammation arthritis pain, often)
Try things one at a time and watch the symptoms.

If someone only fasts for 24 hours, then has relief of symptoms, then it might go faster to get some idea of what the problem is.

The immune system seems to over react to everything if you have leaky gut, especially proteins and mistaking those for parts of your own body. Fats are inflammatory, so just having fat with anything will cause some inflammation. That complicates everything. Anyways, if you figure out was is causing the inflammation then more power to you.

I like tomato, but not overly tomatoey sauces. I don't eat cooked tomatoes, because they definitely aggravate my arthritis, as does eating too much potato, though potato with no skins is much less of a problem.

I do eat Italian food. In the better Italian restos around here, there are a number of dishes that don't have tomato, e.g., carbonara, fettuccine Alfredo, and dishes that the various restos invent.

Not to be sharing too much information, but am I the only one who finds that regular intake of tomatoes (particularly raw) keeps me... um... regular?

Not to be sharing too much information, but am I the only one who finds that regular intake of tomatoes (particularly raw) keeps me... um... regular?

Wish it did! As much as I consume tomatoes, if that were the case, I'd never have gut issues :LOL:

But for some people, it just may work.

Wish it did! As much as I consume tomatoes, if that were the case, I'd never have gut issues :LOL:

But for some people, it just may work.

I just need to eat half an uncooked tomato a day and no issues at all. But if I go away for a few days and no tomato? I will suffer the consequences.

There's nothing better than homegrown tomatoes.

100% agreed.

Going back to the original poster/question of this thread. Andy M asked a pertinent question but doesn't appear to have had a response.

Nobody has come in and said they hate/dislike tomatoes either.

Maybe in the face of overwhelming tomato support, the OP has backed away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom