Artichoke hearts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I recently went to Sam's and bought a huge jar of artichoke hearts (not pickled). Now I don't know what to do with them. I know about the dip that everyone makes, but would appreciate any other suggestions.

We put them in salads, and I make an antipasto pasta dish with any antipasto ingredients I have on hand - Italian cured meats, cheeses, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans, etc. I dress it with red-wine vinegar and olive oil, throw in some basil, pesto or oregano, S&P to taste - done. It's good hot or room temperature.

MY mother, when making some kind of Brisket, or roast , inn addition to carrots and potatoes, she would add the artichoke hearts to it. ( she would use the ones that were whole, not quartered.)

I've made shrimp scampi with the addition of artichoke hearts. I've used both jarred and frozen.

I love them in so many things, but one of my fave ways is roasted with a little olive oil, salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I did that the other day - turned on a good movie and just snacked on them. :yum:

I like to saute some in garlic butter.

I get mine canned, so I rinse thoroughly first. You might want to taste the liquid they are in. Mine have a citrus like flavor which I don't care for.

I keep a bottle of dry on hand. It's my goto when a dish calls for white wine because it keeps forever and I'm not a wine drinker. I like the flavor.

They are very good deep fried in a beer batter or a tempura batter. You can drain them, dry them and do them whole or chop them and deep fry them as fritters. Good served with a dipping sauce of ranch dressing with a squirt of lemon juice or a big pinch of cayenne. Good pub food! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Marinate some and use them in panini sandwiches with cheese, tomato, red onion, cooked chicken or deli meats, etc. Yum!!!

Wow, I love all these ideas. I'll have to pick up a big jar next time I'm in Costco.

I make a mushroom garlic smothered chicken dish and tuck them between the chicken pieces before I finish the dish in the oven. There's something about that gravy having a perfect balance for the artichoke hearts. It makes a pretty presentation too.

Last edited:
As always you all have come across with some great ideas. tonight, I will saute them in garlic butter to go with a skirt steak I have marinating. Thank you All for the great ideas.

I think the ones I buy are already marinated. I'll have to check the jar in the cupboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom