Asparagus at $4.99 a lb. now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Yikes! It went up a dollar just since last week at 3 major food chains. I've really been enjoying steamed asparagus lately, but at these prices it's almost a luxury food now.

Here's an interesting article on how they are grown. Seems like more and more of our vegetables are available year round, but also imported more these days.

Most Of Your Asparagus Comes From Abroad These Days. Here's Why.

Yikes! It went up a dollar just since last week at 3 major food chains. I've really been enjoying steamed asparagus lately, but at these prices it's almost a luxury food now.

Here's an interesting article on how they are grown. Seems like more and more of our vegetables are available year round, but also imported more these days.

Most Of Your Asparagus Comes From Abroad These Days. Here's Why.

It's in season in the spring and is more available then. Buying produce out of season is always more expensive. Time to look at fall vegetables :)

Yes, they looked fairly anemic, back to frozen or canned until they are in season again.

I didn't read every word, but am going to. I never knew that's how asparagus grew.
They need less water than other vegetables and farm crops, but they have to have it regularly, being perennial. Funny looking plant, it looks like a fern weed.

I bought a pound of the out of season asparagus tonight. I'll be steaming more of the cut up stock ends than I normally do. They're pretty tasty too.

Next up is Brussel sprouts. My parents used to cook them. I don't know how those grow either. :huh:

Last edited:
I didn't read every word, but am going to. I never knew that's how asparagus grew.
They need less water than other vegetables and farm crops, but they have to have it regularly, being perennial. Funny looking plant, it looks like a fern weed.

I bought a pound of the out of season asparagus tonight. I'll be steaming more of the cut up stock ends than I normally do. They're pretty tasty too.

Next up is Brussel sprouts. My parents used to cook them. I don't know how those grow either. :huh:

It's pretty cool :cool:

How-to-grow-brussels-sprouts-group-shot.jpg

They're great roasted with olive oil and S&P, then drizzled with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar when they come out of the oven.

Last edited:
Aren't they pretty? Trader Joe's sells their Brussels sprouts still on the vine. I love them roasted, too. My mother used to boil them to death, so I never liked them growing up.

Back to asparagus, I bought a pound last week at Albertson's for $2.99. So far they're still looking and tasting good. I like them roasted, grilled, and cut up and just barely sautéed till crisp/tender.

I bet that $2.99 price doesn't last for long Cheryl, buy more. Butter, salt and pepper for me.
It's what I'll put on the Brussel sprouts too. Thanks for that picture. Asparagus and Brussel sprouts are funny looking plants. That asparagus plant looks like those fern weeds that overtakes an old barn and demolishes it.

Last edited:
I bet that $2.99 price doesn't last for long Cheryl, buy more. Butter, salt and pepper for me.
It's what I'll put on the Brussel sprouts too. Thanks for that picture. Asparagus and Brussel sprouts are funny looking plants. That asparagus plant looks like those fern weeds that overtakes an old barn and demolishes it.

I should have. I just looked in both sale flyers for my area and asparagus isn't in there, so they've probably gone back up.

I did see that chicken thighs are on sale for .99/lb though. :)

I grow my own asparagus. Problem is, I planted it wrong, and we get one, maybe two spears at a time. For like 2 months. It sure is tasty though!

Last edited:
My favorite way with asparagus is roasted with olive oil/garlic powder/salt/Accent(optional).

I put some garlic powder/salt/Accent into a plastic bag, glug in some olive oil and mix. Add the snapped asparagus and coat them well, dumping them onto a cookie sheet and roast at 450 degrees for around 15 minutes. None of their wonderful flavor is leached out in steam or water.

I'm ignoring the BS talk as they are the only food I detest. Not even bacon can save them.

Last edited:
I'm with you with the BS, Kay.

Though I might dry them, spray them with gold paint, and stick them in a vase.

Nah. Even that wouldn't help.

My favorite way with asparagus is roasted with olive oil/garlic powder/salt/Accent(optional).

I put some garlic powder/salt/Accent into a plastic bag, glug in some olive oil and mix. Add the snapped asparagus and coat them well, dumping them onto a cookie sheet and roast at 450 degrees for around 15 minutes. None of their wonderful flavor is leached out in steam or water.

I'm ignoring the BS talk as they are the only food I detest. Not even bacon can save them.

I'm gonna try that. Baking the asparagus, along with pork loin chops. 420F will have to do. Shake 'N Bake calls for 15 minutes at 420F. I'll put the asparagus in earlier.

Last edited:

+2
I love roasted veggies in general now. Much more flavor.
And I stick to seasonal/local produce as well.
But it kinda seems like everything is more expensive, in season or not. I haven't seen a red/yellow/orange bell pepper (we're not fans of the green bell peppers) for under $1 each yet. I'm glad that I flash-froze oodles of red peppers last year at 50¢ each.

I'm gonna try that. Baking the asparagus, along with pork loin chops. 420F will have to do. Shake 'N Bake calls for 15 minutes at 420F. I'll put the asparagus in earlier.

Sounds like a plan Caslon! Brine and then rinse those chops first before you coat them for a remarkable dinner. :yum:

When I see produce with a price that is definitely a bargain, I will buy about five pounds, blanch it and freeze. This includes asparagus. I love this veggie. I love the ones with the big tightly closed heads. So much more flavor. they can keep canned asparagus. I always get a can that makes it taste tinny. Not very pleasant. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom